Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
If you’re prone to treating your phone in such a way that it could have scratches and dings, I think a screen protector is a very good idea.

I never use a case or screen protector, and when I sent my 13 Pro in as part of the upgrade, there were no scratches or chips. Same for the 12, 11, and so on. The smooth coating had worn off. But the glass itself was fine.

And I live near the beach, and often have sand (which easily scratches iPhone screens) in a lot of places.

Be realistic. I don’t see the point of not getting a screen protector if you need one.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I empathize with not wanting to use a screen protector. It feels like it shouldn’t be on us to handle. However, the latest exact fit tempered glass protectors are really amazing. The oleophobic layer makes it feel just like the screen. The no-cutout versions with positioning jig makes it easy and disappears. I see it as a sacrificial layer, like waxing the car.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
yes, id be interested in looking at the antiglare SP please.
Ok, for the 14 pro max. You’ll have to search Mothca anti glare screen protector if you have a different iPhone

Mothca Matte Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 14 Pro Max Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint Tempered Glass Clear Film Case Friendly Easy to Install Bubble Free for iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7inch Smooth as Silk https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B969XDMG/ref=cm_sw_r_api_i_E9R9JF4HXPXCGJ15YBA4_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Growlernz

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I do that, just before I power it on!! Extra protection right out of the box.

Exactly. That’s what I’m talking about. In the last 3 years I’ve had one screen protector chip and crack. That was for my 11 Pro Max. My 12 PM lasted until I removed it for trade in. 18 months.

Reactions: ToddH

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I’m finding the screen on my iPhone 14 Pro Max scratches far easier then the 12 Pro Max.

I have more light scratches on my new 14 than on 2 years of usage with the 12.

Disappointing really.

Reactions: black_knight

sjperformance

macrumors 68010
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Launch day 14PM. Not a single scratch yet. I got kids. I got a dog. I took my phone boating 2 weeks ago. No worries. Screen like new.

Reactions: revs

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
I have a question for everybody who says they have a naked iPhone and no scratches after a year: how do you define scratches?

Does this mean you have no micro-scratches? Like you hold your phone at an angle and you see nothing, or do you mean obvious scratches, which I would agree are pretty easy to avoid.

If you do not have micro-scratches how on earth do you accomplish that using a phone every day?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have a question for everybody who says they have a naked iPhone and no scratches after a year: how do you define scratches?

Does this mean you have no micro-scratches? Like you hold your phone at an angle and you see nothing, or do you mean obvious scratches, which I would agree are pretty easy to avoid.

If you do not have micro-scratches how on earth do you accomplish that using a phone every day?
My phone goes in my pocket 100% of the time. I don't have any micro scratches nor any obvious scratches on my screen. I don't even use a screen protector. I have not used screen protector for the 12 PM, I gave that to my wife, and she uses it and still no scratches or any micro scratches anywhere, pristine clean as day 1.

I had 13 pro max since launch and I traded it in. Before sending it in, I have zero scratches, not even micro scratch, it was and were pristine clean since day 1.

I now have the 14 pro max, got it since launch, my habit has not changed, still goes in the same pocket where I put my phone in.

Also I make sure that before I put my phone in my pocket that it is free of debris and other objects.

Reactions: black_knight

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
I really, truly don't get why anyone WOULDN'T use a screen protector. I can kind of understand pre 12 when they couldn't cover the full screen because of the curved edges, though I still always used one. But 12 and above, you can get a perfect edge to edge one that you wouldn't even notice was there unless you look really hard. It's $10 and you never have to worry about it. It gets scratched and you just install another one. Scratches on the screen are permanent. Even if you've never scratched a screen up until now, why take the risk? Again, it's $10! It's just insane to me that you wouldn't install one as soon as you unbox the phone and know that you'll never have an issue.

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
I really, truly don't get why anyone WOULDN'T use a screen protector. I can kind of understand pre 12 when they couldn't cover the full screen because of the curved edges, though I still always used one. But 12 and above, you can get a perfect edge to edge one that you wouldn't even notice was there unless you look really hard. It's $10 and you never have to worry about it. It gets scratched and you just install another one. Scratches on the screen are permanent. Even if you've never scratched a screen up until now, why take the risk? Again, it's $10! It's just insane to me that you wouldn't install one as soon as you unbox the phone and know that you'll never have an issue.
The ones with the tray are super easy to put on too.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
My phone goes in my pocket 100% of the time. I don't have any micro scratches nor any obvious scratches on my screen. I don't even use a screen protector. I have not used screen protector for the 12 PM, I gave that to my wife, and she uses it and still no scratches or any micro scratches anywhere, pristine clean as day 1.

I had 13 pro max since launch and I traded it in. Before sending it in, I have zero scratches, not even micro scratch, it was and were pristine clean since day 1.

I now have the 14 pro max, got it since launch, my habit has not changed, still goes in the same pocket where I put my phone in.

Also I make sure that before I put my phone in my pocket that it is free of debris and other objects.
So you only wear clothes made of silk?

• Haha
Reactions: returnZero

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I used them for my last few phones, but just couldn’t get one that fit on my new one without forming “raised edges” (I tried several brands, then called it quits). I’m pretty careful with my phone, but I noticed recently it does have one of those tiny scratches you can only see at an angle / in just the right light.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
I used them for my last few phones, but just couldn’t get one that fit on my new one without forming “raised edges” (I tried several brands, then called it quits). I’m pretty careful with my phone, but I noticed recently it does have one of those tiny scratches you can only see at an angle / in just the right light.
You mean the screen protector not adhering properly to the screen?

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021

I treat my phone exactly in the same ways as you do yours. My 12 Pro was basically mint after 2 years of usage. I just sent it to Apple for my trade-in credit last week.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
people who have scratches.... are they all naked?(no case and/or no tempered glass protector)

I honest have never seen anyone go naked in a very, very long time. (except the display iPhones at the Apple Store)

• Haha
Reactions: JM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.