Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I love it when people come on here and complain about damage when they aren’t using any protection. The feeling of schadenfreude brings me a sense of satisfaction, I don’t know why because I am not like that as a person but it just does.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’m not “moaning” on here about scratches and no protection - I don’t want a protector. I’m merely stating a fact that my 14’s screen is is far more susceptible to “blemishes” than my 2 year old 12.

An “observation”.
Yes, it is disappointing however the trade off appears to be that the screen is tougher and more shatterproof. It’s a delicate balance between scratch and shatter resistance. I prefer shatter resistance as I use a screen protector and am therefore immune to scratches.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
That's odd. Especially on the 12 and above, it's pretty fool proof to get them to stick. Have you tried Spigen or ESR protectors?
We’ll, it’s not a 12 or above, ha ha…

(I was also surprised I couldn’t get it to work, never really had issues installing them on phones before, but I can live with it)

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Oh, so the “Pro” device needs an accessory to perform. Got it

Many “Pro” devices need protection. Case or screen protector helps mitigate the likelihood of damage. If you choose not to protect it that’s up to you.
I’m a professional musician and if I chose not to protect my Pro instruments it would be foolish and I guarantee you they cost more than any iPhone.

Last edited:

returnZero

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2021
Just curious. For those of folks who are not using the protection thingy on their phones, do you let them fiddle with your phone if someone else like your friends or family member wants to see or touch your phone for more than min or two ? : )

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Yes and the comical thing with that is quite a few vendors even sell them as packs of 3 like on Amazon.
Yep.
I bought a pack of 3 made by iCarez for $4.95 on Amazon.
First of the three still on the phone since June - no scratches.
$1.65 each, and they come with an EXCELLENT installation/alignment tool.
These complaints about scratches crack me up!

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I love it when people come on here and complain about damage when they aren’t using any protection. The feeling of schadenfreude brings me a sense of satisfaction, I don’t know why because I am not like that as a person but it just does.
I get schnoodefroodennoodle whenever I see people come on here and feel self-righteous after ruining their gorgeous devices with cases and ridiculous looking screen protectors.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Just curious. For those of folks who are not using the protection thingy on their phones, do you let them fiddle with your phone if someone else like your friends or family member wants to see or touch your phone for more than min or two ? : )
Nope. No one can touch my phone. Especially those grabby people in check out lines that want to scan a code or see a coupon on my phone.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I get schnoodefroodennoodle whenever I see people come on here and feel self-righteous after ruining their gorgeous devices with cases and ridiculous looking screen protectors.
"self-righteous"?
Really?
How is it that screen protectors look ridiculous?
Do you scrutinize everybody elses phone to see if they have one on it?
You can't even see them from any distance at all.
As far as cases go, look at the mega threads of how much enjoyment people get from buying JUST the right case for themselves.
Leather, colors, designs, folding, burlwood/resin......................
A huge industry has arisen from cases alone.
AND, as an added benefit, there's the DROP protection!

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
people who have scratches.... are they all naked?(no case and/or no tempered glass protector)

I honest have never seen anyone go naked in a very, very long time. (except the display iPhones at the Apple Store)
Please read your post out loud for a good laugh. Naked people with scratches: Silly.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
"self-righteous"?
Really?
How is it that screen protectors look ridiculous?
Do you scrutinize everybody elses phone to see if they have one on it?
You can't even see them from any distance at all.
As far as cases go, look at the mega threads of how much enjoyment people get from buying JUST the right case for themselves.
Leather, colors, designs, folding, burlwood/resin......................
A huge industry has arisen from cases alone.
AND, as an added benefit, there's the DROP protection!
You don’t know me. I am scoping phones all the time and critique quite harshly.

Sincerely, Mr. Goodsense
🎩
🧐

6Foot6Dude

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2022
Those who do not use screen protectors, Can you clean your screen and check under a light if you have any “hairline” scratches?

General info such as phone model, use time etc is also greatly appreciated.

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
After one year my iPhone 13 Pro is more scratched than my iPhone X of four years. And I use my phone *less* than I used to.

I hate that Apple has sacrificed the scratch resistance of the phone for shatter resistance. I haven't dropped my phone on a hard surface in 10 years. Scratches, however, are inevitable it seems.
as much as generally tech people drop their phone less, "normal people" still drop them all the time

and these same "normal people" use crappy plastic screen protectors/sometimes glass screen protectors and don't get the phone scratched

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
people who have scratches.... are they all naked?(no case and/or no tempered glass protector)

I honest have never seen anyone go naked in a very, very long time. (except the display iPhones at the Apple Store)
I don't use a case, but I do use a screen protector

it gets very scratched

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
I don't use a case, but I do use a screen protector

it gets very scratched

isn't that the whole point of a screen protector? :)

or are you the Best Buy GeekSquad guy who tried to put a Zagg screen protector on top the screen protector that was already on my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 a couple of years ago? :(

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
🤣🤣🤣

sadly, I wasn't trying to be funny.... that actually happened to me at Best Buy. The guy was talking on his phone while putting the screen protector on. I thought it would have been pretty obvious, since the screen protector on the phone already had a crack in one corner(which was the reason I went there to get another one). It is true what they say, if you want things done right, do it yourself.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
I’m not “moaning” on here about scratches and no protection - I don’t want a protector. I’m merely stating a fact that my 14’s screen is is far more susceptible to “blemishes” than my 2 year old 12.

An “observation”.

Ceramic shield or not, someone comes in here every single year posting a new thread about
how the glass scratches easier than the last one.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Nope. No one can touch my phone. Especially those grabby people in check out lines that want to scan a code or see a coupon on my phone.

The cab driver in Paris grabbed my phone which such aggression (when I was trying to show him the address of my hotel), I was almost certain he was about to throw it out the window 😭

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.