Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Exactly this!! Your point about the scratches/marks looking like they can be wiped away is the perfect explanation. In fact, I have a dedicated high quality microfiber cloth that I use to clean and wipe down my screen. The scratches can’t be felt and only can be seen at a certain angle.

I know it’s being overly obsessive about my device, but for crying out loud, I’ve only had the device for a matter of weeks. And, like yourself, my 12 Pro that I had for 2 years did not have these marks/scratches on the screen.

It’s frustrating when everyone assumes that we are careless with our phones and/or didn’t notice when the scratches occurred.
It’s called bad luck.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
This whole thread reminds me of the people that don't vote, and then complain about who gets elected! :rolleyes:

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I don't really see it as being an apologist. The only posters with issues are the ones who don't use screen protectors.
................and if the glass was made harder to resist scratches, but more brittle and prone to breakage from a minor drop, they'd be complaining about THAT! :D
But...............to each his or her own.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I personally would much rather have the softer, more breakage resistant glass and slap a screen protector on it to prevent scratches.
A few bucks can save a lot of anguish.
But then we wouldn't have this 8 page discussion!
:p

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
It seems as though the thread topic and general message is going over your head. You’re not alone in that regard.

Now, what you quoted, was my statement/opinion that the suggestion by someone else saying that I needed a screen protector to protect it from scratches, was not in line with my (reasonable) expectations that a premium/pro device should be a little more resistant to scratches out of the box.

That’s what the complaints are, in this thread, by a number of people. Stop trying to make into something else.
Hardly, I am merely quoting and responded to what you said...

And between the two of us, I am not the one worrying over superficial scratches that could easily be prevented by a screen protector. Superficial scratches certainly do not hinder the performance of the device, even for a pro device, whatever that means...

I would recommend other things to devout your mental energy on

I, for one, agree with the trade off of potentially more superficial scratches that are not easily noticeable at the expense of more shatter resistant phones.

Reactions: davedvdy

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
1. Because the cases always add bulk and friction to the device, making it harder to get in and out of my pocket.
2. The original surfaces have oil-resistant coatings on them, so finger and face oil doesn't gum up the surfaces. Screen protectors don't seem to have that feature, so they get gummed up easily.
3. Dirt/lint gets trapped under the cases.
4. The original design of the phone is beautiful and feels good in the hand, both for shape and materials. Cases change that experience completely.
5. I LOVE the way people get anxiety when they discover that I don't use a case. :D

Naked is the only way to go for me.
Which pocket are you putting it in? Front pocket? Are your pants too tight? A co worker has a case on his 13 pro max and puts it in his front pocket of his denim jeans. It looks bad, dirty & dingy and full of lint. He never cleans it or wipes it down. So the front pocket is a no no! Lint builds up. Back pocket is ok, front t-shirt pocket is the best. I have many cases, I rotate them out daily depending on what look I want. I also carry a damp cloth from Walmart, it’s from the automotive department, a glass cleaning cloth and I keep it damp all day and clean my iPhone often. If I went without a case, I’d be cleaning more.

I use a screen protector, an anti glare one from amazon, it’s the best I’ve ever used. No glare from the shiny default iPhone glass (that does scratch easily) and no finger prints. Cases aren’t bulky if you get the right kind. You are on borrowed time if you don’t use a case or screen protector. You’ll drop the iPhone eventually and you’ll then realize your luck just ran out. Apparently you have iPhone replacement money. Like speeders have ticket money.

Yes the iPhone is beautiful looking, best design on the 14 pro max Gold. Yes I’d like to carry mine without a case, but I don’t want to drop it even though I have AppleCare purchased with theft and loss. Also as an accomplished pro iPhone photographer and professional photographer, I don’t want to damage the cameras on the back by constantly setting the iPhone on rough surfaces like a steel table at chipotle or any other undesirable surface. Most iPhone users don’t care though and many do not take that many photos so the cameras are probably irrelevant. But to each their own, I’m not trying to convince anyone to use a case, but the iPhone is an expensive device and I want mine to look new two years from now. So I protect it. This also keeps the resale value up. Hopefully you will not drop yours or get it knocked out of your hands accidentally by yourself or by someone else.

Last edited:

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I believe Apple's marketing for ceramic shield is that it is more shatter resistant.

However, the more shatter resistant you make a phone, the easier it becomes to scratch. So it's either or. Thats how glass works.

And since it's more expensive to replace a cracked screen than a scratched one (you don't replace that at all), I believe Ceramic Shield is more for the benefit of the consumers.

I never drop my phone but also noticed that phones have started to become easier to scratch over the years. So I just bought a screen protector just for the inevitable scratches. Its literally almost indistinguishable from not using a screen protector and once the scratches are too much/oleophobic coating is gone, ill just install another one for $5
I understand why you’d do it but can’t stand using screen protectors on my iPhones anymore. They always cut down on the touchscreen response time. Always. That said, to each his/her/their own.

• Haha
Reactions: madrigal77

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I’ve never seen ‘scratchproof’ glass on any cell phone be it iphone, Samsung, lg, Sony etc. However it’s a problem easily solved by a good screen protector. So why is everybody making such a big deal out of it

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Seems most of the banter regarding touchscreen response performance, proneness to scratching, crack management vs softness of the glass, oleophobic coating hardness, thickness and scratch resistance, the year to year difference in scratch resistance are largely, if not entirely, based upon anecdotal opinion.
There don't seem to be any quantified numbers or studies regarding any of this.
Opinion is fine, I like opinion, but.............

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
What type of screen protector are you using that cuts down on screen response time?
Every single one I’ve ever used. Zagg, Spigen, etc. I stopped using them at a certain point because they never fit perfectly and always interfered (based on my interactions) with response time or interaction of the touchscreen at the edges of the phone. As I said, YMMV.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Every single one I’ve ever used. Zagg, Spigen, etc. I stopped using them at a certain point because they never fit perfectly and always interfered (based on my interactions) with response time or interaction of the touchscreen at the edges of the phone. As I said, YMMV.
Either you must be using it wrong or have it installed it wrong then 🤣.

I've had Spigen in the past and it did not interfere with response time whatsoever. But I do agree that none of the screen protectors are full edge to edge, aways leave a few mm of spaces around the edges (i guess for a reason for cases).

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
None of what you’ve said is true. I don’t believe you’ve ever used a screen protector.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
None of what you’ve said is true. I don’t believe you’ve ever used a screen protector.

That sounds like something I would only believe based upon mixed experiences with screen protectors maybe 10+ years ago. Many were of inconsistent quality and certainly before tempered glass screen protectors lol.

returnZero

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2021
I thought they get bothered by the rainbow on the film which gets conjured up by the light with certain angle :) hehe I just had to bring this up here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.