Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
You’re not listening, or I’m not explaining well enough. They aren’t scratches a such, you can’t feel them on the glass but in certain light you see them. They look like they can be wiped away but they can’t. I know my usage. I have not scratched my phone on anything. There is obviously some kind of softer coating on the 14 screen compared to my old 12.
Exactly this!! Your point about the scratches/marks looking like they can be wiped away is the perfect explanation. In fact, I have a dedicated high quality microfiber cloth that I use to clean and wipe down my screen. The scratches can’t be felt and only can be seen at a certain angle.

I know it’s being overly obsessive about my device, but for crying out loud, I’ve only had the device for a matter of weeks. And, like yourself, my 12 Pro that I had for 2 years did not have these marks/scratches on the screen.

It’s frustrating when everyone assumes that we are careless with our phones and/or didn’t notice when the scratches occurred.

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
Many “Pro” devices need protection. Case or screen protector helps mitigate the likelihood of damage. If you choose not to protect it that’s up to you.
I’m a professional musician and if I chose not to protect my Pro instruments it would be foolish and I guarantee you they cost more than any iPhone.
Nope. Not what my complaint is. A few posters in here understand what our issue is. You’re in the camp of not understanding what our expectations and observations are relative to other Apple devices that we’ve owned in the past.

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
Those who do not use screen protectors, Can you clean your screen and check under a light if you have any “hairline” scratches?

General info such as phone model, use time etc is also greatly appreciated.
After approximately 24 days of usage, my 14 Pro has two very light/hairline scratches.

Edit: Just checked my phone again after cleaning and noticed 2 more scratches for a total of 4 now. This phone sucks from a scratch resistance standpoint.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: madrigal77

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
Where in my comment did I say you expected no scratches? 🤔
So, 2 things.

1). The “expected no scratches” part was meant for another poster, but I messed up and wrongly replied to you.

2). In that same reply where I said, “you know what they say about people making assumptions,” definitely does apply to you and was meant for you. You said: “You also don't understand glass at all.” This would be an assumption. Pump the brakes dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
superficial scratches do not hinder performance
It seems as though the thread topic and general message is going over your head. You’re not alone in that regard.

Now, what you quoted, was my statement/opinion that the suggestion by someone else saying that I needed a screen protector to protect it from scratches, was not in line with my (reasonable) expectations that a premium/pro device should be a little more resistant to scratches out of the box.

That’s what the complaints are, in this thread, by a number of people. Stop trying to make into something else.

Reactions: JM

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
It seems as though the thread topic and general message is going over your head. You’re not alone in that regard.

Now, what you quoted, was my statement/opinion that the suggestion by someone else saying that I needed a screen protector to protect it from scratches, was not in line with my (reasonable) expectations that a premium/pro device should be a little more resistant to scratches out of the box.

That’s what the complaints are, in this thread, by a number of people. Stop trying to make into something else.

Actually, no....there hasn't been much of anything that has gone over anyone's head really on the other side of the fence, as far as I've seen. Patronizing further doesn't help connect dots that have already been connected.

There's a literal disagreement on what expectations a person should have when making their iPhone purchase or not (eg items that keep a device better protected to mitigate scratches such as a screen protector).

There's also a disagreement on what constitutes a device being Pro or not. Aesthetics proofing (from scuffs, scratches, etc.) vs. performance, which carried a meaning that was interpreted differently by different posters.

Last edited:

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
Edit: Also, there was a poster who disagreed with what the thread was about. There may be some confusion as to what the general message is because of the name of this thread. This thread was originally titled “Ceramic Shield Sucks.” Whoever merged the thread, changed the name to what it is now-“Ceramic Shield Glass Scratching.”

Furthermore, I made a thread titled “Ceramic Shield is soft.”

Last edited by a moderator:

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Learned my lesson with the 11 Pro Max. Since then, first thing I do is put on a tempered glass screen protector. Nowadays, it is super easy to do with included alignment templates. It's not ideal, but it is worth the peace of mind for sure.

Surface level scratches greatly bother me. One thing to keep in mind though is this is WAY LESS of an issue now that there is always-on display. As this inevitably gets brighter in subsequent models, it will become even less of an issue.

Reactions: Reggaenald

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
Last week, I thought about whether or not to get a screen protector and after seeing that the Ceramic Shield scratch at a 6/7 hardness. I decided to go for one, but eventually settled for the Belkin one at the Apple Store as I don't have to deal with dust getting onn the screen protector after installation.But the installation the person did look perfect and it's close to not having one at all.

This is probably the first time I have a screen protector after watching videos that Ceramic Shield sratches easily. I never drop my phones, so I prefer scratch resistence. Also, Apple Care Plus is more expensive than just getting a case and a screen protector as in addition to paying $199 and a deductible to get the phone repair if you crack the screen.The screen protector gives me extra protection from scratches and peace and mind as scratches really bother me.

pierre_rush

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2021
After almost a month of using my 14 PM without a screen protector, I have 0 scratches and microscratches. Maybe they improved the formula this generation?

Also idk how people scratch their phones so easily, I used the 13 Pro without a case and never had any issues. Using a case now because I got the Max size and want the grip from the silicone cases. AppleCare isn't worth it for display issues since you'll probably almost never break/scratch it significantly but if you do, you can get it replaced for cheaper than the yearly cost of AC+

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
There are not enough warnings about seat belts, cigarettes, liability insurance, fire extinguishers, don't run with scissors in your hand, you'll shoot somebody's eye out with that BB gun, screen protectors? cases?
Look, if you choose to eschew common sense, then stop whining about the fallout from that choice.
Seems there are two different kinds of people in these type of discussions..............
Those that recognize the potential for scratches, and those that won't.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
There are not enough warnings about seat belts, cigarettes, liability insurance, fire extinguishers, don't run with scissors in your hand, you'll shoot somebody's eye out with that BB gun, screen protectors? cases?
Look, if you choose to eschew common sense, then stop whining about the fallout from that choice.
Seems there are two different kinds of people in these type of discussions..............
Christ, read the forum before you post. NOBODY is whining. Some are OBSERVING that the 14 screen is less resistant to abrasions than the 12.

Does that sound like a whine to you?

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
My new iPhone 14 is absolutely picking up a bunch more small micro scratches than any phone I've had before this one. Comparing it side by side to a 13 Pro Max and a 13 Mini, it's nuts. They seem to be localized around the earpiece, to the left and right of it. What happens there? No idea other than that's the first part of the phone to come into contact with the fabric of my pants? Still wearing the same exact clothing I had with the other two phones that don't exhibit this.

There is a marked increase in these tiny scratches, 1000%, compared to both my 13-series phones.

Reactions: black_knight

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

It's really true. What it boils down to is what is the person going to do about it if they care? If they don't, then that's that. I just hate scratches and know that screen protectors were created for that very reason and they are very cheap and a wise investment, IMO. I actually like the way the glass ones feel, and they clean/wipe easier than the bare screen.

Also, take for example, one of the top flagships from Apple's competitor, a top ranked smartphone, the Samsung S22 Ultra which has this supposed Gorilla Glass Victus+. You can find the same types of discussions or complaints. It scratches much easier than the last and ever before, plus all the threads about that.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It's really true. What it boils down to is what is the person going to do about it if they care? If they don't, then that's that. I just hate scratches and know that screen protectors were created for that very reason and they are very cheap and a wise investment, IMO. I actually like the way the glass ones feel, and they clean/wipe easier than the bare screen.

Also, take for example, one of the top flagships from Apple's competitor, a top ranked smartphone, the Samsung S22 Ultra which has this supposed Gorilla Glass Victus+. You can find the same types of discussions or complaints. It scratches much easier than the last and ever before, plus all the threads about that.
A high quality glass screen protector feels as good as a naked screen in my opinion. By using a screen protector you can also avoid wearing the panel’s oleophobic coating which I see people who use it naked are complaining about.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Christ, read the forum before you post. NOBODY is whining. Some are OBSERVING that the 14 screen is less resistant to abrasions than the 12.

Does that sound like a whine to you?
If they are not willing to put on a screen protector, it's whining. Everyone should be putting on a screen protector as soon as they unbox the phone even before turning it on the first time. If you're not willing to take this very basic, inexpensive, and 100% effective step, then you don't have the right to even mention scratches.

oink_oink

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2022
If they are not willing to put on a screen protector, it's whining. Everyone should be putting on a screen protector as soon as they unbox the phone even before turning it on the first time. If you're not willing to take this very basic, inexpensive, and 100% effective step, then you don't have the right to even mention scratches.
We should not be making apologies for the very poor scratch resistance of today's phones.

Reactions: black_knight

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
We should not be making apologies for the very poor scratch resistance of today's phones.
Again, it’s scratch resistance vs shatter resistance. Most people prefer shatter resistance as they use screen protectors and are immune to scratches. I believe it’s foolish to go without a case however not using a screen protector is ludicrous.

I see the OP is making an informational thread which is fine because there can’t be any complaints about this as solutions are widely known and have been for over a decade.

Reactions: davedvdy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.