Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I use a mildly matte screen protector but frequently roll case less these days. I avoid the scratch in my display with the protector and have AppleCare+ for damage to phone. I just prefer the way the phone feels without a case.

Reactions: JM and Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
You guys are obviously going caseless and without A screen protector. Why???? Yes, I know AppleCare plus is available but you nearly have to break your phone to where it’s useless before they replace it. I always have a case and I currently use a matte antiglare screen protector, that I just totally love. Not having that super shiny reflection of the glasses so much easier to look at. if you’re interested, I will provide you with a link to Amazon, where I got it.
Please actually share the link. Been looking for a mate screen protector for a while.
I once, after it got all scratched up, put 2000 grid sand paper to my 11 Pro screen and really liked the feeling and reflection reduction.

• Haha
Reactions: JM

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
I’m finding the screen on my iPhone 14 Pro Max scratches far easier then the 12 Pro Max.

I have more light scratches on my new 14 than on 2 years of usage with the 12.

Disappointing really.
Yep, 100% agree. My 12 Pro after 2 years had less scratching than ~3 weeks of usage with my 14 Pro.

aw1998

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2020
You guys are obviously going caseless and without A screen protector. Why???? Yes, I know AppleCare plus is available but you nearly have to break your phone to where it’s useless before they replace it. I always have a case and I currently use a matte antiglare screen protector, that I just totally love. Not having that super shiny reflection of the glasses so much easier to look at. if you’re interested, I will provide you with a link to Amazon, where I got it.
This is simply wrong, you can choose to pay your £25 excess fee for front display or rear system even for tiny cracks or chips if you wish, and claims are now unlimited.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
I look after my phone meticulously. Nothing in pockets, never put phone face down etc etc. I hate screen protectors - my prerogative.

The point of my original post was after 2 years with a 12 Max that screen looked far better than a 4 weeks with a 14 Max.
You’re prerogative indeed ,and mine as well ,I hate screen protectors

I know what the point of your post is and I was answer to the other guy,not you

And yeah new screens are more shatter resistant but more prone to scratches sadly

Reactions: Pagemakers

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I look after my phone meticulously. Nothing in pockets, never put phone face down etc etc. I hate screen protectors - my prerogative.

The point of my original post was after 2 years with a 12 Max that screen looked far better than a 4 weeks with a 14 Max.
Well, the only way it could’ve scratched is if it came in contact with something hard. I realize you keep your phone meticulously, but at some point you scraped it against something or perhaps you had some material like sand in your pocket. if you just keep it in a soft cotton enclosure like your pocket, it’s not going to scratch.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Well, the only way it could’ve scratched is if it came in contact with something hard. I realize you keep your phone meticulously, but at some point you scraped it against something or perhaps you had some material like sand in your pocket. if you just keep it in a soft cotton enclosure like your pocket, it’s not going to scratch.
You’re not listening, or I’m not explaining well enough. They aren’t scratches a such, you can’t feel them on the glass but in certain light you see them. They look like they can be wiped away but they can’t. I know my usage. I have not scratched my phone on anything. There is obviously some kind of softer coating on the 14 screen compared to my old 12.

Reactions: black_knight

asparagus

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
I use a sapphire screen protector from Shellrus. Kinda pricey, but absolutely zero scratches on my 13PM. Loving it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You’re not listening, or I’m not explaining well enough. They aren’t scratches a such, you can’t feel them on the glass but in certain light you see them. They look like they can be wiped away but they can’t. I know my usage. I have not scratched my phone on anything. There is obviously some kind of softer coating on the 14 screen compared to my old 12.
If you cant feel them on the glass itself, its likely just the coating. Seems odd but i suppose if the coating wears off overtime , im sure those scratches on coating would disappear?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The 14 Pro screen appears more delicate than your 12 screen but you’ve still caused these hairline scratches because the they did not appear on their own. If you had used a screen protector you wouldn’t have any scratches.

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
I had a lot of hairline scratches on my 13 Pro Max which weren’t visible when the screen was lit up. They don’t bother me and won’t bother me when it eventually happens on my 14 Pro Max.

I find screen protectors to be a waste but everyone will do what they want with their own phone. Heck, people put big Otterbox cases on their phones like they’re carpenters or something. To each their own.

hench01

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2022
1. Because the cases always add bulk and friction to the device, making it harder to get in and out of my pocket.
2. The original surfaces have oil-resistant coatings on them, so finger and face oil doesn't gum up the surfaces. Screen protectors don't seem to have that feature, so they get gummed up easily.
3. Dirt/lint gets trapped under the cases.
4. The original design of the phone is beautiful and feels good in the hand, both for shape and materials. Cases change that experience completely.
5. I LOVE the way people get anxiety when they discover that I don't use a case. :D

Naked is the only way to go for me.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
1. Because the cases always add bulk and friction to the device, making it harder to get in and out of my pocket.
2. The original surfaces have oil-resistant coatings on them, so finger and face oil doesn't gum up the surfaces. Screen protectors don't seem to have that feature, so they get gummed up easily.
3. Dirt/lint gets trapped under the cases.
4. The original design of the phone is beautiful and feels good in the hand, both for shape and materials. Cases change that experience completely.
5. I LOVE the way people get anxiety when they discover that I don't use a case. :D

Naked is the only way to go for me.
Nobody cares if users don’t use a screen protector or case because everyone is entitled to do whatever they like with their property. I just come on here and laugh at people who complain about scratches, dinks, cracks and chips when they are not using any protection. There’s always a trade-off and if phones were indestructible no one would use screen protectors or cases. I personally do because I like my devices to look new and also protect against expensive accidents such as cracked screens and cracked glass backs, etc…

I like everything to look new, even the old 1984 Macintosh, which is my avatar picture, looks as good as it did when it left the factory 38 years ago. Not everyone is like that though and that’s fine, just don’t come here and complain like the OP when you aren’t taking reasonable precautions and damage appears on the phone.

Reactions: Splitrail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.