Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I honestly don't know. My kneejerk reaction is a windows phone live tile like scrolling screen with squares that take the space of two or four icons. Shop, Watch, Listen, Communicate, where a 3D Touch press on the tile reveals the apps in that "center" and sliding to the icon and holding reveals 3D Touch commands for that app. Something that gets rid of the rows of icons that after a while look similar and lose the ability to really draw you quickly into actions.....

Any reason you don't just spotlight search for your app? I rarely swipe around and look into folders, just pull down and type the first letter or two.

Reactions: marvz

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What do you suggest to improve the home screen?

A list/column view, like the Finder. Perhaps keep a search field at the bottom of the screen where the dots are now, with a grid/list button next to it.

I could also see Apple letting you eventually drop control center widgets on the home screen for fast access. They're sized in such a way that it would even work for the larger ones.

Reactions: redbeard331

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
More the point, why the hell did Apple not just announce a dark mode this time around? How hard is this for them to implement? It's clearly a point blank design choice refusal from them.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Any reason you don't just spotlight search for your app? I rarely swipe around and look into folders, just pull down and type the first letter or two.
Because I haven't trained myself to do that. But by that rationale why have any icons at all. If you invoke all apps through spotlight or using the app switcher it wouldn't be necessary to have them visually on the screen at all.

I would personally love to see a two column app switcher on my iPhone, ideally showing 2 by 3 or or 2 by 2 and a half rows of recent apps that could push up to see the older ones. Maybe even allow the user to pin two favorite apps to the top row and start the recents on row 2.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Because I haven't trained myself to do that. But by that rationale why have any icons at all. If you invoke all apps through spotlight or using the app switcher it wouldn't be necessary to have them visually on the screen at all.

I would personally love to see a two column app switcher on my iPhone, ideally showing 2 by 3 or or 2 by 2 and a half rows of recent apps that could push up to see the older ones. Maybe even allow the user to pin two favorite apps to the top row and start the recents on row 2.
I agree with your first point, I do find icons beyond the first page pointless. I keep my most used apps on page 1, and spotlight everything else. I never have to hunt and peck for anything, seems a lot faster.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sure Apple has the technical knowhow to deliver this if they choose to do so.
How would that be feasible? Websites are naturally white. 95% of websites have white backgrounds. They would have to literally have a way to change the websites design.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
More the point, why the hell did Apple not just announce a dark mode this time around? How hard is this for them to implement? It's clearly a point blank design choice refusal from them.

Probably because they want it as an exclusive feature of iPhone 8 to sell more.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Ok So now I'm convinced Dark Mode is coming after seeing Smart Invert
Actually, you should realize that this is it. Apple really does not care about Dark Mode the way a small subset of obsessed users do. So what they did was add tiny bit of intelligence to this existing feature. Yes, it will probably improve a little throughout the betas, and beyond. But this is it. This is Dark Mode.

At least, this is it for non-OLED devices.

Reactions: EM2013

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
How would that be feasible? Websites are naturally white. 95% of websites have white backgrounds. They would have to literally have a way to change the websites design.

Compose an algorithm to display the white background as black and the black text as white.
[doublepost=1496848176][/doublepost]
. . . At least, this is it for non-OLED devices.

And that may yet prove the key to Apple finally introducing system wide Dark Mode.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I'm sure Apple has the technical knowhow to deliver this if they choose to do so.
This kind of comment is example of why people don't understand the concept of Dark Mode, or what it would/could possibly be.

You're seeing it right now with this feature.
[doublepost=1496848262][/doublepost]
Compose an algorithm to display the white background as black and the black text as white.
[doublepost=1496848176][/doublepost]

And that may yet prove the key to Apple finally introducing system wise Dark Mode.

That's not what I'm implying. I believe iPhone X with its OLED display will have "Dark UI" period, like Apple's only other OLED display...Apple Watch.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
This kind of comment is example of why people don't understand the concept of Dark Mode, or what it would/could possibly be.

You're seeing it right now with this feature.

I'm fairly technical having spent a long time in the IT industry, so I have no idea what you mean by this?

EDIT -

Ahh I see you've edited your reply above with a further comment to explain your viewpoint.

What you say about a the UI being changed to Dark throughout as standard on the iPhone 8 (or X or whatever) is certainly possible.

I don't know whether they'd differentiate in that way though as a good number of people like the bright aspect of iOS 7 onward.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

You honestly think that would be simple or doable? There are hundreds of millions of websites. Websites have countless layouts. There is no way something could simply change all white to black and black to white. What about grey, yellow, purple, blue, red. Website backgrounds are not only one color. It's simply not that easy.

Jailbreak tweaks couldn't figure it out either.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
You honestly think that would be simple or doable? There are hundreds of millions of websites. Websites uses have countless layouts. There is no way something could simply change all white to black and black to white. What about grey, yellow, purple, blue, red. Website backgrounds are not only one color. It's simply not that easy.

I didn't comment on the difficulty, merely that it is possible should Apple choose to do it.

It would be in their interests to take full advantage of the upcoming OLED screens and could be used as a USP for the iPhone X. We've had precedent from Apple on that sort of marketing before.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I didn't comment on the difficulty, merely that it is possible should Apple choose to do it.

It would be in their interests to take full advantage of the upcoming OLED screens and could be used as a USP for the iPhone 8. We've had precedent from Apple on that sort of marketing before.
I've been saying all along that dark mode will be an OLED iPhone exclusive. I've said it for almost a year now. But there are certain apps like Safari that won't be able to receive the full dark UI treatment. Android browsers have dark skins but the websites are still white. That's how websites were designed.

Safari dark mode would be like privacy mode. Dark menu and search bars and maybe a dark keyboard, but no dark screen. It's not realistic. Nor do I think it's possible for Apple to do. It's too complicated with too many variables.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I've been saying all along that dark mode will be an OLED iPhone exclusive. I've said it for almost a year now. But there are certain apps like Safari that won't be able to receive the full dark UI treatment. Android browsers have dark skins but the websites are still white. That's how websites were designed.

Safari dark mode would be like privacy mode. Dark menu and search bars and maybe a dark keyboard, but no dark screen. It's not realistic. Nor do I think it's possible for Apple to do. It's too complicated with too many variables.

You have your view, I have mine. I suspect neither of us will change our mind.

At least we both agree there's still a decent chance it's coming in one form or another.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I'm fairly technical having spent a long time in the IT industry, so I have no idea what you mean by this?

EDIT -

Ahh I see you've edited your reply above with a further comment to explain your viewpoint.

What you say about a the UI being changed to Dark throughout as standard on the iPhone 8 (or X or whatever) is certainly possible.

I don't know whether they'd differentiate in that way though as a good number of people like the bright aspect of iOS 7 onward.
I think it was necessary on Apple Watch and certainly an optional direction for them to go with iPhone X. The battery savings could be extreme.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Perhaps. But I feel like Apple would have ultimately touched on dark mode during an iOS/developer conference if it were to happen. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it doesn't seem like a likelihood, even though I would appreciate this feature.

I'm wondering if we'll see this released in an iOS 11.2 or 11.3, similar to how Night Shift came out in 9.3? I agree, unlikely we'll see it with iOS 11 GM, if not demo'd at WWDC, unless it's a feature they're holding out for the brand new iPhone?

jmbrown91

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Northampton, UK
Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere, but I noticed if you use 'quick reply' on a message from the home screen, the keyboard comes up in a seemingly dark mode. To me it looks very much like I would expect Apple to implement it, for example the 'Send' starts out grey when there's no text in the box, once you start typing, it turns the usual blue.

I don't recall ever seeing that before?

iPhone 7 Plus running iOS11 B1

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere, but I noticed if you use 'quick reply' on a message from the home screen, the keyboard comes up in a seemingly dark mode. To me it looks very much like I would expect Apple to implement it, for example the 'Send' starts out grey when there's no text in the box, once you start typing, it turns the usual blue.

I don't recall ever seeing that before?

iPhone 7 Plus running iOS11 B1

I'm not sure if I saw the exact same behavior, but I have noticed various elements, like the passcode lock dots, are a mix of what would appear to be light and black elements.

jmbrown91

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Northampton, UK
IMG_3748.JPG IMG_3749.JPG

Reactions: EM2013

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm wondering if we'll see this released in an iOS 11.2 or 11.3, similar to how Night Shift came out in 9.3? I agree, unlikely we'll see it with iOS 11 GM, if not demo'd at WWDC, unless it's a feature they're holding out for the brand new iPhone?

I could only imagine the excitement of dark mode releasing along side The new OLED iPhone. One never knows with Apple.

Reactions: Dwalls90
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.