Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I could only imagine the excitement of dark mode releasing along side The new OLED iPhone. One never knows with Apple.

True, particularly because the new screen may better/more efficiently be able to generate dark colors? I don't know much about the science, just speculating.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
unless it's a feature they're holding out for the brand new iPhone?

Somebody else has just suggested this. There's no way I'll be buying the new iPhone, having bought my 7 Plus in January, so I'll be hella angry if they make Dark Mode an iPhone 8 exclusive.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
True, particularly because the new screen may better/more efficiently be able to generate dark colors? I don't know much about the science, just speculating.

OLED has deeper blacks by having the pixels being deactivated, which results in the blacks being much darker.

Reactions: Dwalls90

Iceage

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
If they could at least bring it to a few of their apps, I would be happy, especially the Music app.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
If they could at least bring it to a few of their apps, I would be happy, especially the Music app.
It changes to black but the album artwork is inverted even though images shouldn't be.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Well sort of..

We've had this since early iOS versions. I've always had triple-click-home set to invert colors.
[doublepost=1496887606][/doublepost]
That’s not dark mode! Stop posting this ****. What’s everyone’s fascination with ****ing black screens? Looks like **** most of the time.

Because when you're in a dark environment (such as a concert, movie theatre) it's both distracting and hard on your eyes.

The worst is when you first wake up and are greeted with an eye-bleeding stark bright white with thin light grey text. It's like nobody at Apple has ever used their devices at night.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
We've had this since early iOS versions. I've always had triple-click-home set to invert colors.
[doublepost=1496887606][/doublepost]

Because when you're in a dark environment (such as a concert, movie theatre) it's both distracting and hard on your eyes.

The worst is when you first wake up and are greeted with an eye-bleeding stark bright white with thin light grey text. It's like nobody at Apple has ever used their devices at night.
I have been using the Triple Click zoom trick for 3 years now. Much better than dark mode. Depending on your eyes, white text on a black screen is harder to read than dark text on a very dimmed white screen. I would never use dark mode. The discord app hurts my eyes with the dark UI.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I have been using the Triple Click zoom trick for 3 years now. Much better than dark mode. Depending on your eyes, white text on a black screen is harder to read than dark text on a very dimmed white screen. I would never use dark mode. The discord app hurts my eyes with the dark UI.

Maybe in daylight dark mode would be bad -- but then you'd have the option not to use it.

When it's pitch black out, the white background is brutal. Your eyes are trying to clearly make out thin dark lines surrounded by a flood of light.

When I invert colors, I can physically feel my eyes relax. The difference is massive. Night shift was a start, but I leave it on all the time in the middle setting.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Maybe in daylight dark mode would be bad -- but then you'd have the option not to use it.

When it's pitch black out, the white background is brutal. Your eyes are trying to clearly make out thin dark lines surrounded by a flood of light.
Again, have you used the zoom trick? Its much easier on my eyes then using the discord app. Discord is a perfect example of a total dark mode. It has gotten to the point I can't use discord in a dark room.

This is entirely subjective, everyone's eyes are different. One cannot say something is easier on their eyes compared to others because it never will be the same.

FYI, I'm 25 years old with 20/20 vision.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Again, have you used the zoom trick? Its much easier on my eyes then using the discord app. Discord is a perfect example of a total dark mode. It has gotten to the point I can't use discord in a dark room.

This is entirely subjective, everyone's eyes are different. One cannot say something is easier on their eyes compared to others because it never will be the same.

FYI, I'm 25 years old with 20/20 vision.

I'm in my 20s with 20/20 as well.

I think discord's flaw is that it's light grey on medium grey. That's as dumb as Apple's light grey on off-white.

There are some things that are objectively hard on your eyes. Trying to read something that's very bright compared with the background is hard for your eyes because they cannot adjust for both the bright source and the dark setting at once -- leaving them letting in more light than they should.

If only we could control our pupils, but until then! :p

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
So I imagine you switched the Discord app to the light mode then?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So I imagine you switched the Discord app to the light mode then?
Yes I did, even though it looks awful because it clearly was a second thought for the developers.

Its like a light grey on white. But its easier on my eyes.

redbeard331

macrumors 68040
Jul 21, 2009
I think it's wishful thinking that they'll improve smart invert in upcoming betas, I believe this is it. Apple clearly doesn't listen to requests and they pretty much ignored the iPhone this year. Maybe next year will when they pay attention to the iPhone os again.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When I invert colors, I can physically feel my eyes relax. The difference is massive. Night shift was a start, but I leave it on all the time in the middle setting.

True. What I find interesting about inverted colors, is most don't seem to know what it's actually intended for. It's much easier on the eyes for some people with a sensitivity to brightness and to distinguish for some people with color blindness, and those who have low vision.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
I believe it's in developers' hands to better handle their image assets in their apps so that iOS recognizes what to and what not to invert. For example, in games like Clash of Clans, perhaps the whole UI could be declared as an image class media, allowing one to play without hassle.
As for websites, Apple should work safari so that if the background if a website is set to a defined range of bright colors, they must be inverted, as must the text. I have a feeling this won't play well with frameworks such as materialize or bootstrap because of their priorities set extremely high.
I think it's wishful thinking that they'll improve smart invert in upcoming betas, I believe this is it. Apple clearly doesn't listen to requests and they pretty much ignored the iPhone this year. Maybe next year will when they pay attention to the iPhone os again.

Reactions: redbeard331
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.