Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
True. What I find interesting about inverted colors, is most don't seem to know what it's actually intended for. It's much easier on the eyes for some people with a sensitivity to brightness and to distinguish for some people with color blindness, and those who have low vision.

What yourself and Altis said about feeling your eyes relaxing with a darker screen is exactly how I feel as well – I'm amazed that Apple has been so stubborn on this issue.

Reactions: 44267547

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
the perfect dark mode is the phone turning like this say at 10.00pm at night. hopefully this does happen this is at least a start i suppose.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
That’s not dark mode! Stop posting this ****. What’s everyone’s fascination with ****ing black screens? Looks like **** most of the time.

You have your opinion about it and everyone else has theirs. I personally don’t care either way.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I think it will surface for the OLED iPhone just because I don't see apple not taking advantage of OLED tech when releasing an OLED display.

Why not just stick to LCD then? They have incredible LCD displays already.

One of the best features of OLED are true blacks and this also further saves the battery.

My galaxy S7 would be at 6-13% battery at end of a long day with the normal skin...With a black skin and black wallpaper it would be at 35-58% when I went to bed. It was incredible.

Every year Apple shows off more features of iOS at new iPhone launches. They will do the same with iOS 11

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I've never used a device with a dark mode.

What happens when you visit a website with a white background?

That will hurt your eyes when you're reading in bed in the dark!

This single-handedly has been one of the biggest reasons against a dark mode that I have been saying. You can't change Safari to only display websites in black. Even the jailbreak tweaks couldn't overcome this.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I couldn't imagine how they would handle that.

My "dark mode" has always been "turn down the brightness" :D

Webpages look great like this makes them usable in the dark and keeps my sleeping wife happy. In fact I'm browsing in my own dark mode right now, high contrast mode in Microsoft Edge and it looks great.
[doublepost=1496976323][/doublepost]
Never understood this consistent harden for a dark mode.

Never understood why someone wouldn't want the choice of a dark mode.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Webpages look great like this makes them usable in the dark and keeps my sleeping wife happy. In fact I'm browsing in my own dark mode right now, high contrast mode in Microsoft Edge and it looks great.
[doublepost=1496976323][/doublepost]

Never understood why someone wouldn't want the choice of a dark mode.
Just because the websites you visit look "great" doesn't mean all websites will look great. There are too many variables in websites. You really don't think the Jailbreak tweak would have implemented it if it worked properly. Transforming all websites to dark is very difficult and isn't always clean.

Reactions: 44267547

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Just because the websites you visit look "great" doesn't mean all websites will look great. There are too many variables in websites. You really don't think the Jailbreak tweak would have implemented it if it worked properly. Transforming all websites to dark is very difficult and isn't always clean.

It's rare to see a website look bad in windows high contrast mode, I've been using it for years now and can probably count on one hand the number of webpages which didn't look great. I really think this is the train of thought for Apple because smart invert seems very similar to windows high contrast mode, it's just that Apple hasn't implemented it yet in safari or other apps or parts of the UI.

In any event it would be a choice for those of us stuck in bed with our wives screaming at us, or in a dark place and wanting to use our devices. I totally understand if it's not right for you, but I'll never understand why someone would not want to at least have the choice.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It's rare to see a website look bad in windows high contrast mode, I've been using it for years now and can probably count on one hand the number of webpages which didn't look great. I really think this is the train of thought for Apple because smart invert seems very similar to windows high contrast mode, it's just that Apple hasn't implemented it yet in safari or other apps or parts of the UI.

In any event it would be a choice for those of us stuck in bed with our wives screaming at us, or in a dark place and wanting to use our devices. I totally understand if it's not right for you, but I'll never understand why someone would not want to at least have the choice.
Have you ever used the zoom brightness trick? You can reduce the display brightness further than the lowest level, but it is still more than usable and it does not disrupt anyone. I've been using it since iOS 7 or 8 when it was discovered.

I don't think its a matter of choice, its a matter of how Apple likes things implemented cleanly and consistently and I don't think its ready for primetime.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Have you ever used the zoom brightness trick? You can reduce the display brightness further than the lowest level, but it is still more than usable and it does not disrupt anyone. I've been using it since iOS 7 or 8 when it was discovered.

I don't think its a matter of choice, its a matter of how Apple likes things implemented cleanly and consistently and I don't think its ready for primetime.

Yes I've used the zoom brightness trick, it looks awful IMO. You've got that bright white outline around the screen, and it's still very bright in the dark. Definitely a poor solution IMO.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yes I've used the zoom brightness trick, it looks awful IMO. You've got that bright white outline around the screen, and it's still very bright in the dark. Definitely a poor solution IMO.
What bright outline...? There is no bright outline. I have been using it for 3+ years. It is definitely not very bright, you might not have it set up properly.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What bright outline...? There is no bright outline. I have been using it for 3+ years. It is definitely not very bright, you might not have it set up properly.

I always get this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. That outline looks MUCH brighter on my iPhone than in the screenshot.

eb1e167771dd076b982528ff0c634bdf.jpg

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I always get this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

eb1e167771dd076b982528ff0c634bdf.jpg
Yeah thats not correct. Give me 5 minutes, when I get home I will give you step by step. Thats probably the issue right there. Thats why you think its still bright.
[doublepost=1496978026][/doublepost]
I always get this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. That outline looks MUCH brighter on my iPhone than in the screenshot.

Okay, 9to5mac has the step by step.

• Open Settings → General → Accessibility.
  • Tap the Zoom section, and enable the Zoom switch. You should now see a Window Zoom overlay on top of the screen.
  • Perform a three-finger triple-tap on the screen to access an additional overlay with zoom controls.
  • Tap Full Screen Zoom, and use the slider at the bottom of the overlay to zoom all the way out if necessary.
  • Tap Choose Filter and select Low Light.
  • Go back to the main Accessibility section of the Settings app, and scroll down and select Accessibility Shortcut.
  • Tap Zoom for the Accessibility shortcut to assign a three finger-tap to the Zoom setting.
  • Triple-press the Home button to quickly switch between brightness.
This should be a huge difference for you.

Last edited:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
^ That's actually a lot of steps. I've found an easier way which I haven't seen mentioned, but works well for me.

Go to Accessibility > Display Accommodations
Turn on Reduce White Point, and set it to 100. Then turn it off.
Go back one page and at the bottom set Triple-press to "Reduce White Point."

Easy peasy.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
This would be an awesome feature for me. I do a lot of surveillance at night. Nothing like getting a call that lights up the whole inside of my car. So much for covert. Even with the brightness down it's still too bright.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
This would be an awesome feature for me. I do a lot of surveillance at night. Nothing like getting a call that lights up the whole inside of my car. So much for covert. Even with the brightness down it's still to bright.
Try the method above. It drastically reduces brightness.
[doublepost=1496986714][/doublepost]
^ That's actually a lot of steps. I've found an easier way which I haven't seen mentioned, but works well for me.

Go to Accessibility > Display Accommodations
Turn on Reduce White Point, and set it to 100. Then turn it off.
Go back one page and at the bottom set Triple-press to "Reduce White Point."

Easy peasy.

Wow and that makes it even darker. You can even combine the two. Thanks.

Iceage

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
I believe it's in developers' hands to better handle their image assets in their apps so that iOS recognizes what to and what not to invert. For example, in games like Clash of Clans, perhaps the whole UI could be declared as an image class media, allowing one to play without hassle.
As for websites, Apple should work safari so that if the background if a website is set to a defined range of bright colors, they must be inverted, as must the text. I have a feeling this won't play well with frameworks such as materialize or bootstrap because of their priorities set extremely high.

Well, maybe Apple should start with their own apps like the Music app.

Reactions: ashindnile

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
1 - At its core it inverts everything.

2 - Individual IOS apps and elements can be optimized for this feature. Apple has optimized many of its own elements and parts of its own apps... but they are still working on it. Hopefully all of apples core elements will be optimized by the time iOS 11 is released to the public.

3 - 3erd party apps will have to implement many optimization’s themselves. They will also have the option to activate their own dark mode when smart invert is active, as apposed to smart invert. We will likely not see any of this until iOS 11 is released and Apple starts accepting app updates.

4 - This will likely go from being an accessibility option to a full dark mode option... When Apple labels it that way will depend on overall development of the feature.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Do we really need another thread on this? And it's not called dark mode. People have to seriously stop calling it dark mode until there is an official dark mode. This is strictly accessibility for the time being.

It does not "smart" invert everything. Go look at Safari and Music. It is purely accessibility.

Reactions: Breezygirl

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
Can you give us your source/reasoning behind [2] and [3]? I want to know if there's API for an app to detect that the device is in the smart invert mode.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Nice video of Smart Invert here - apologies if already posted.

(Skip to 1 minute for his first interactions with the phone or skip to 2 mins for when he switches on Smart Invert)

Last edited:

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
4%. They put all this work into this Smart Inverted Colors, which is essentially dark mode, except they didn't call it that, so it'll never be utilized.

Will be jailbreaking and utilize my own dark theme like usual, otherwise would probably keep the smart inverted colors on by default. Depends on how well it was implemented. I have heard of some issues, but it's in beta.

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
IMO,IF there's a dark mode with iPhone 8, developer need some work to implement features to their apps. It's not something that iOS can done automatically in a "beautiful way". Maybe after iPhone 8 launch, should provide a guide line about "How to make the best looking night mode apps".
[doublepost=1499502768][/doublepost]
I've never used a device with a dark mode.

What happens when you visit a website with a white background?

That will hurt your eyes when you're reading in bed in the dark!
Hint : Safari reading mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.