Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
There was a 50 page long thread here on MacRumors that some guy's MBP ran so hot in clamshell mode that it degraded the adhesive and the screen came off - or something like that. Now he's suing Apple for ten million dollars + interest.

I don't know how accurate these claims are, but I was a bit worried. My MacBook Air ran just fine in clamshell mode.

In another thread, some people resorted to putting a magnet on the lid sensor to trick the Mac into thinking it is in clamshell mode. So you may try to do that if you're concerned with heat.

Reactions: jagooch

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
There was a 50 page long thread here on MacRumors that some guy's MBP ran so hot in clamshell mode that it degraded the adhesive and the screen came off

It's entirely possible. Aluminum shells retain heat very well, there is only so much the fans can do when it comes to pushing the heat out, once the heat starts to build and travel through the entire shell it will just keep getting hotter under high loads.

In normal operation using clamshell, there should be no issue, short bursts of the CPU, fine. Keep it running all day long every day at high temps and the fans blasting then expect the lifespan to drop and glue to start melting in some cases.

Can't see it would be any different for A N Other brand of laptop.

If you are going to put the device through its paces on a daily basis then clamshell may not be the best idea.

Turning it logo down to allow the hot air to rise up through the bottom vent may help it a bit, not much though as the heat will still eventual travel through the body.

I would not recommend using clamshell if you are hammering it every day although it works fine for some.

corbin87M

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Washington
You bring up an interesting point. I'm sure Apple has accounted for the MBP's heat dissipation needs whether it's in clamshell or laptop mode, but if you're concerned that you're overheating your machine, why don't you just get a stand that will allow you to use the MBP as a second monitor with the lid open?

My new 2016 MBP replaced a mid-2012 that I used extensively in clamshell mode running some very heavy processes. The fan was always running. The only failure I suffered was in a cable that connected the wireless card to the logic board. That happened after four years of heavy use.

I'm not sure what's optimal, but I've done both extremes with my previous MBP batteries and had bad results. I hear that you don't need to power cycle lithium ion batteries, but they do need to get some regular exercise. I'm curious myself as to just how much exercise they need to get.
[doublepost=1547078229][/doublepost]Hey all, searching for this problem yielded this discussion. I'm here to report that less than a year's use in clamshell mode destroyed the coating on my screen and it looks like this...
auBkH96

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
ugh
[doublepost=1547078652][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1547078229][/doublepost]Hey all, searching for this problem yielded this discussion. I'm here to report that less than a year's use in clamshell mode destroyed the coating on my screen and it looks like this...
auBkH96

This happens regardless, not only from running clamshell (unless you put a weight on it).

there was a replacement program a while ago, im sure apple will replace it if its within reasonable period (or will reopen the said program)

don't necro threads :(

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
I have looked through the forum but can't seem to find the right thread.

I use a MBP mainly as is, but when doing some video work I'll hook it up to an eGPU and my external display.

The question is, do I leave the MBP shut or is it best left open in terms of heat dissipation?

Thanks

Jim

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The question is, do I leave the MBP shut or is it best left open in terms of heat dissipation?
I believe the MBP will be more efficient with the lid open, though there are plenty of people who are happy with it closed. I've seen comments on both sides of the fence, some say it will damage the display/laptop, others swear up and down that it won't.

I would leave that decision up to you, though if it were me, I'd opt to keep the laptop open. When I used my MBP in clamshell mode, I found the heat to be rather high on the keyboard/display when I eventually opened it up. For my own peace of mind, I prefer it open.

Reactions: jagooch and jgrove

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
Other than the palm rests, temperatures are cooler with the lid closed on my MacBook Pro.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
As @maflynn explained, this is a highly debated topic on the forums. You will get a range of answers and different experiences, all of them I'm sure are accurate from the individual users perspective. For my 2 cents (and take that for what it's worth), I very regularly use my MacBook Pro (mine is a 2017 15") closed when connected to my external monitor. I have done this since I bought it when they were released and I have had no problems. I did the same with my previous machine (2014 15") for 3 years also with no issues.

I do monitor temps, but I usually tell people not to do that regularly as in the past I have driven myself almost to the point of insanity. That being said, maybe my current machine averages 1 degree C higher with the display closed, but on average I can't tell much of a difference in similar workloads.

Reactions: jerryk and maflynn

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I definitely noticed the temperature increase when running the lid closed. Normally my 2016 15” runs around 98-99 degrees. With the lid closed it’s around 103-104 which seems like a huge jump In temperature. I keep it flat also not vertical. I’m probably going to start running the lid a quarter way open to dissipate more heat.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
[QUOTE="x-evil-x, post: 27470047, member: 204600] I keep it flat also not vertical. I’m probably going to start running the lid a quarter way open to dissipate more heat.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean flat on a table? Why don’t you try placing a small spacer under both sides of the spine first to allow airflow underneath? I keep mine vertical. I’ll check the temp.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Do you mean flat on a table? Why don’t you try placing a small spacer under both sides of the spine first to allow airflow underneath? I keep mine vertical. I’ll check the temp.

its open to the sides in a little holder under my monitor basically the same as being flat on a table. if its open its always under 100 degrees. Just tested out keeping it open a quarter amount and getting gems back in the 96-97 range. Does the keyboard backlight and screen stay on when you close the lid? No idea why the temp would be 6-8 degrees higher when shut.

Attachments

• DDAE6F78-F79E-4EC9-9A76-CD5F85884955.jpeg
    DDAE6F78-F79E-4EC9-9A76-CD5F85884955.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 283
  • F5B09A7E-2791-4579-87D7-486F7CDD75BA.jpeg
    F5B09A7E-2791-4579-87D7-486F7CDD75BA.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 285
  • 6B432B2E-6F38-4C72-A76C-F0F35DC32FF1.jpeg
    6B432B2E-6F38-4C72-A76C-F0F35DC32FF1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 275
Last edited:

DrBrush

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016
I have an old mid-2012 MBP (non-retina) that I use about 95% of the time in clamshell mode. I completely get the benefit of being able to grab it and go and always have everything with me.

I don't think there is a problem with doing this long-term, but I suggest that you "optimise" your desk and positioning of the MBP. For the last couple of years I have had my MBP vertical under my desk leaning against the wall. For the first three months the base of the laptop was against the wall, with the apple logo facing outwards. I then noticed that the fans were coming on more than my previous setup. It turns out that if I put the laptop in the same position under the same desk, but with the top of the laptop leaning against the wall and the base facing outwards the heat dissipates from the base so much better and it runs 10°C cooler.

So, very small changes can affect the heat build-up and probably therefore the longevity of the machine.
[doublepost=1560851125][/doublepost]
Closed lid is perfectly fine OP. I have a 2006 and 2010 MBP that have been in clamshell mode most of their lives and they're perfectly fine. my 2016 is closed rite now.

Why not get a desktop? I'd love to, but Apple won't give me a TB3 desktop. I've asked.

If Clamshell mode was outside the operating parameters of the MBP then Apple wouldn't allow it.
Instead, they offer convenient how tos:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

Interesting, Apple suggest that you put your Mac to sleep before disconnecting an external display. Anyone know why? I usually eject external disks and then pull the plugs...

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I can't speak for the topic starter, but personally I work at my own office and at my client's office. In both cases I've got an external monitor. I could buy two desktops but I like the fact that I can bring it home as well, and that I only have to maintain one computer.

What's also nice, is that with one computer, you don't need syncing software to get to your files. In the end, it's just a hassle and/or a cost for me.

Yeah this is definitely the good thing about a laptop and thankfully we are reaching a point where a 1 laptop is more than enough for most users.

I also do clamshell mode it's really a great idea.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Interesting, Apple suggest that you put your Mac to sleep before disconnecting an external display. Anyone know why? I usually eject external disks and then pull the plugs...

I don't know their official reasoning, but my 2016 MBP used to crash once in a while when I disconnected or reconnected it. The thing is that it would take several disconnects and reconnects before it got prone to crashing.

I have a 2018 MBP now and it doesn't seem to be as prone or perhaps Mojave is better at dealing with an external display. I can't remember the last time I had a kernal panic from disconnecting my MBP, but sometimes the screen gets weird if I disconnect and reconnect a bunch of times and then I have to reboot to get things reset.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
its open to the sides in a little holder under my monitor basically the same as being flat on a table. if its open its always under 100 degrees. Just tested out keeping it open a quarter amount and getting gems back in the 96-97 range. Does the keyboard backlight and screen stay on when you close the lid? No idea why the temp would be 6-8 degrees higher when shut.
I've always noticed higher temps in clamshell mode, so much so, I decided to forgo that option. I also noticed when opening the laptop up after being in clamshell mode the keyboard area to be significantly hotter. That is a layer of hot air just sat between the keyboard and the display. I opted not to subject my keyboard or display to that amount of heat. Personal preference but I opted to play it safe then sorry YMMV

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I've always noticed higher temps in clamshell mode, so much so, I decided to forgo that option. I also noticed when opening the laptop up after being in clamshell mode the keyboard area to be significantly hotter. That is a layer of hot air just sat between the keyboard and the display. I opted not to subject my keyboard or display to that amount of heat. Personal preference but I opted to play it safe then sorry YMMV
yea ill be running mine slightly open from now on. runs 6-8 degrees cooler like that.

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
I have never understood people who use clamshell mode as their default. Why not just get a mac mini?

You're paying a lot of money for a gorgeous built-in display. Buy a 30 dollar laptop stand and use your MBP's display as a second or even third display. Keeping the laptop closed all the time just feels like such a shame and a waste of a good display.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I have never understood people who use clamshell mode as their default. Why not just get a mac mini?

You're paying a lot of money for a gorgeous built-in display. Buy a 30 dollar laptop stand and use your MBP's display as a second or even third display. Keeping the laptop closed all the time just feels like such a shame and a waste of a good display.
Using as a default yes but taking it from room to room or on the go when you want is nice. I don’t know many that just use their laptop as their only computer connected to a screen.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

Just speaking for myself, I find it hard to use more than one display. I have a tendency to fixate on one of them and ignore the other one... so much so that I've developed neck pain and headaches from always having my head turned to one side.

While I'm not very good at using multiple monitors, I make very good use of Spaces and Spaces is awkward on a multiple monitor setup so that extra display actually ends up getting in the way.

There's also a technical reason I'm not fond of using my MBP as a second display. I have an LG 5K. My MBP gets really hot and has trouble driving both the LG 5K and the built in screen in some applications. The one time I do want to have more than one display is also when it's the most taxing. Even with a Vega 20, culling photos in Capture One Pro on two screens is either laggy or a risk of a desk fire.
[doublepost=1560866806][/doublepost]
Using as a default yes but taking it from room to room or on the go when you want is nice. I don’t know many that just use their laptop as their only computer connected to a screen.

I don't think he was questioning why someone would want to use a laptop in a fixed location, but rather why you didn't maximize your resources and also use the screen.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014

There was a point in time where the MacBook Pro was the only thing with a Thunderbolt 1 and 3 interface. Now that the desktops have added thunderbolt 3, I myself have moved on to a Mac mini. But there is still something to be said about the convenience of a single machine, as I still have a old but functional laptop if I need to be portable.

Besides, when you're cruising around with dual 4k or dual 5k you don't miss the internal display that much.

Speaking of which, just to give an update, my 2010 MBP used for the majority of it's life in clamshell mode is still running. Infact I'm planning to list it on ebay soon.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012

I like to hook it into 28 and 24” displays, and if still working into the evening on something, open it up and use the 15” inch on the couch.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, safe enough.
If you are closing the lid, the laptop goes to sleep - or, newer models go to a form of standby/hibernation.
No fan would be running in sleep, but it won't get hotter, just a bit slower to cool down completely.

But, to answer your question with my opinion - the laptop is designed to withstand a range of temperatures. Anything in that normal range would not affect the screen in the slightest.

Reactions: Hieveryone

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Yes, safe enough.
If you are closing the lid, the laptop goes to sleep - or, newer models go to a form of standby/hibernation.
No fan would be running in sleep, but it won't get hotter, just a bit slower to cool down completely.

But, to answer your question with my opinion - the laptop is designed to withstand a range of temperatures. Anything in that normal range would not affect the screen in the slightest.

Great! My 2019 base model gets MUCH hotter than I’m used to so I was initially hesitant to close the lid until it cools in fear of damaging the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.