Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I have done so that (in case I'm not in a hurry) that if machine is very hot just when I turned it off, I let it sit a couple minutes before closing the lid. It cools pretty fast. Heat won't break the panel but it may eventually lead to some uniformity issues. I see that side what gets hot is somewhat bluer and darker if I view the screen very critical.

You mentioned you have 2019 base model. Can you please check if yours is exhibiting battery drop during load issues described here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...lty-battery-or-feature.2191997/#post-27595565

larmende

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
I usually just close my lid and put the pro into the sleeve for storage. Never had an issue.

This morning however I came into the living room and there was a weird buzzing noise. My computer was boiling hot, fans rotating like crazy, and once I got it back on the battery was drained to 5%. No idea what the machine as doing, how long in has it been doing for.

It seems fine now, no issues, and cooled down fairly quickly once taken out oft he sleeve and opened it up.
I guess I will start to shut it down rather han just closing the lid and putting it into sleep mode from now onwards.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
The glue came undone starting from the bottom right on my 2011 MBP screen so it seems like a matter of when, not if for people mainly using it with lid closed.

I used it in clamshell mode 95% of the time for 4-5 years before this happened, YMMV.

Reactions: jagooch

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
2011 MBPro in clamshell mode would have both heat AND age working against any kind of adhesive.
I usually offer my opinion that, when using clamshell mode in your normal workflow, that you should use some kind of app to monitor heat,

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I have a 2017 13" that I've been using in clamshell mode for several months at this point--about a year and a half. I think the heat has caused the case to warp, so that the lid no longer closes fully.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have a 2017 13" that I've been using in clamshell mode for several months at this point--about a year and a half. I think the heat has caused the case to warp, so that the lid no longer closes fully.
More often than heat, if your case does not close completely, you should remove the bottom cover to check the battery for swelling. You won't have to guess, as swelling should be noticeable - and you should stop using your MBPro until you replace that swelling battery.

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
More often than heat, if your case does not close completely, you should remove the bottom cover to check the battery for swelling. You won't have to guess, as swelling should be noticeable - and you should stop using your MBPro until you replace that swelling battery.
I'm almost positive that the battery has swollen. The case no longer sits evenly on a flat surface. I'll just keep using it for now and get it repaired sometime next month.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I'm almost positive that the battery has swollen. The case no longer sits evenly on a flat surface. I'll just keep using it for now and get it repaired sometime next month.
Note, a swollen battery is pretty dangerous and can explode. Conventional wisdom when this happens is to stop using it and get it repaired asap.

I think the silver lining is that if you can do it at an Apple store, the price for a new battery is pretty modest (I think $199 for the 13" MBP) and you get a whole new topcase to boot (new keyboard, so "refreshed butterfly keyboard" hah, new speakers, new trackpad, etc.)

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Note, a swollen battery is pretty dangerous and can explode. Conventional wisdom when this happens is to stop using it and get it repaired asap.

I think the silver lining is that if you can do it at an Apple store, the price for a new battery is pretty modest (I think $199 for the 13" MBP) and you get a whole new topcase to boot (new keyboard, so "refreshed butterfly keyboard" hah, new speakers, new trackpad, etc.)
I'm going to have it repaired by Apple by mailing it in. It's still, just barely, under AppleCare, so glad I discovered this now. Had I not needed to disconnect it from my monitor to set up a Mac Mini for someone else, I probably would have gone several more months without noticing it. Just need to wait for the box to arrive.

Not sure "pretty dangerous" is accurate. I had a battery in an old iPhone explode. Wrecked the phone, but, otherwise, wasn't a big deal.

Seems like my issue may be this, as my machine is a non-Touch Bar MBP 13" from this time period. https://support.apple.com/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement

Apple has determined that, in a limited number of 13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) units, a component may fail causing the built-in battery to expand. This is not a safety issue and Apple will replace eligible batteries, free of charge. Affected units were manufactured between October 2016 and October 2017 and eligibility is determined by the product serial number.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.