Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
Hi
Got my X this morning - when the display is head on there is an almost yellow tint to it; when I turn it to the side it is obviously much more white

Why is this??

I even turned off ‘True Tone display’ but that hasn’t changed anything...

Thoughts?
James :)

Edit:
Apple has released a support document on this issue. Saying it is not a defect, and that it is 'normal' with OLED to experience a colour change when viewing the phone at a slight angle - Although, just because it is 'normal' with OLED, it does not make it anymore acceptable for a phone like this.
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/03/iphone-x-display-screen-burn-in-normal/

The best option I have seen on this thread is to change the hue to counteract the yellowness of the display, this in turn means the off angle colour shift is less noticeable - although plainly still there!! (thanks to nicolaselhani):

Settings - General - Accessibility - Display Accomodations - Color Filters
Then select 'Colour Tint' and move the hue 2/3 of the way

Attachments

• 475B6F8B-F3B9-4E95-B93C-415827A76F7A-2.png
    475B6F8B-F3B9-4E95-B93C-415827A76F7A-2.png
    986.5 KB · Views: 6,239
Last edited:

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Same here. I'm glad you have the same issue, maybe it's "normal" ?

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
Sounds like Apple has chosen a warmer screen color for the X
Yeah but when I tilt the phone to the side it becomes a lot whiter/ brighter?
[doublepost=1509710433][/doublepost]
Can you post pictures of what you mean? Maybe compared to your old phone?
I don't have another phone to take a video/ picture, but my friend is coming round soon so can do then. It's really odd

Reactions: DNichter

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't have another phone to take a video/ picture, but my friend is coming round soon so can do then. It's really odd

The OLED screen with show more changes in color temperature than the LCD screens on like the 8.

It is just the way it is.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
Same here. I'm glad you have the same issue, maybe it's "normal" ?
If it's 'normal' I can deal with it, maybe there'll be a way to resolve it in settings? It's just when tilting it turns whiter. So weird

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
That's normal for OLED (not the yellow) but the bluer / cooler tint to the screen. When you shift an OLED panel off centre it will display a cooler colour.
I hope my screen isn't a yellower one as I hate that look personally. Much prefer a bluer, crisp display.
Won't be going crazy exchanging the device regardles though. Unless its faulty of course!

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
That's related to OLED technology.
All Samsung S8 displays are just like that. It might vary the tint when the display is presented, from white, to blue or green. But facing the display, it has a very characteristic yellow tint.

Reactions: tgara and james1758

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
That's related to OLED technology.
All Samsung S8 displays are just like that. It might vary the tint when the display is presented, from white, to blue or green. But facing the display, it has a very characteristic yellow tint.
Ahhh okay thanks! Just was making sure it wasn't a defective unit :)

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
Hi
Got my X this morning - when the display is head on there is an almost yellow tint to it; when I turn it to the side it is obviously much more white

Why is this??

I even turned off ‘True Tone display’ but that hasn’t changed anything...

Thoughts?
James :)
Apple mind voice -- "you are not seeing it correctly!"
:)

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Here we go again. You have to keep in mind that iPhone X has an OLED screen. It probably doesn’t have a yellow tint. But it may look odd to you as the dark colors are dark which may make the screen look dingy or yellow you.

Give it a few days for your eyes to adjust.

Reactions: tgara and kdarling

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
So if OLED having a yellow tint is normal, why don't I see that on my Apple Watch (S2)? Genuine question.

Because on Apple Watch interface you don't have solid whites. Try to put a solid white backgorund on an OLED display versus a good IPS LCD and draw your own conclusions.
I am pretty used to both type of displays and there is no way around.
IPS LCD - good whites, poor whites, low color shift.
OLED - good blacks, poor whites, noitecable color shift and each display is different from the other regarding color tint. If you pick 3 or 4 units of the same device, each of them might have a different color tint to it. Also, OLEDS are more prone to have areas of the display with different tints from the rest of it.

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
If you tilt your phone slightly does it become brighter/ whiter?

James, each OLED is different from the other, and this variation is a lot more likely than what happens with IPS LCD.
Your X display gets whiter, but some users will get greenish, or bluish... It is a lottery when it comes to OLED.
It is part ot the OLED beauty :)

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
James, each OLED is different from the other, and this variation is a lot more likely than what happens with IPS LCD.
Your X display gets whiter, but some users will get greenish, or bluish... It is a lottery when it comes to OLED.
It is part ot the OLED beauty :)
Haha okay sounds mad, to someone that doesn't know much about it I think.. why even have OLED then?! But then I'm sure there is good reasons for it. Cool phone otherwise, and face ID is bang on :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.