Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkhuffy

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt OLED technology warmer than what we are used to with iPhones? We have grown accustom to the bluer tones of iPhone panels so I imagine the OLED panel will look warmer, or "yellow".

Reactions: jmpage2

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
These are the same exact icons that were on the original iPhone in 07. This truly IS an anniversary edition!

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
You can tweak things a bit under Settings > General > Display Accommodations > Color Filters. Choose Color Tint, turn the Intensity slider all the way left/down, and adjust the Hue slider for a ‘cooler’ look (or whatever your preference).

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
If there’s still an issue after turning off True Tone:

Go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Display Accommodations>Reduce White Point

Adjust the Reduce White Point and see if that helps.

That’s the only other setting I know to play with outside of True Tone. I thought my 8 Plus was a little warm at first, since I like whiter-bluer displays as well, but at night it’s a lot easier on the eyes. I make it cooler/bluer during the day (True Tone off most times) and go with a night setting in the evenings.

I have nothing to offer on the viewing angles unfortunately. I don’t have that problem on the 8 Plus.

EDIT: There is also a Color Tint setting, but I’ve never played with it.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
Are people really being serious here?! Whining that a phone held at an angle exhibits a non-uniform performance?! Now, I can't say I have seen iPhone X in the flesh (mine arrives shortly, no rush, it's just a phone) but I have seen and used a lot of Samsung devices and own two OLED TVs from different manufacturers. While some OLEDs I've seen do exhibit a slight non-uniformity, the majority are just like looking at a picture at a different angles - either no different, or slightly different because light reflects/refracts differently off the surface.

My solution to you all experiencing this, is to stop using your personal device at an angle... Hold the phone in front of your face and view it square on, as it was intended.
Mate chill, I simply asked the question as to whether it was a defect or something to do with OLED screen. If you're that offended by people taking an interest in a new phone that came out then leave the thread

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Mine is noticeably yellow compared to my iPad Pro and old 8 plus. I figured there would be posts about it already. It actually looks great to me when viewed at an angle. Not thrilled, but I figured it was normal. I’ll addapt to it.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Mate chill
Perhaps you should take your own medicine?
I simply asked the question as to whether it was a defect or something to do with OLED screen. If you're that offended by people taking an interest in a new phone that came out then leave the thread
My generalised post was in response to the numerous posts of people complaining that their screen was either too yellow or didn't look right when viewed at an acute angle.
  1. Displays tend to be calibrated to the D65 colour temperature
  2. If you don't like D65 and prefer unnatural, overly-bright, overly-saturated images, change the settings as they are provided for that purpose
  3. If you don't like how colours look when viewing your phone at different angles, consider looking directly at the screen instead.
If you choose to misread the scope of a reply and take it as a personal attack just because I offered an opinion on why and what, maybe you shouldn't create threads in the first place.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Mine also struck me as yellowish on first boot compared to my Pixel... however I think it is just the Truetone. Anyway, after downloading 5 apps, I've already forgotten about it.

Reactions: Jimpilot

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
I'm troubled by those that speak of extreme angles. My colour shift is such that even when looked at directly on access the length of the phone gives enough angle to see blue at the top and yellow at the bottom. The tiniest tilt on top of that it it goes straight from yellow tint to bright white / blue.

There is no extreme angle here, it's incredibly distracting!

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Mine is also too yellow with true tone enabled, simple fix by adjusting color tint in display settings. Not a big deal?

All OLED phones exhibit color shift at an angle. I predicted last week we'd see tons of MR threads about colors shift because this is the 1st OLED iphone. Sure enough...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Are people really being serious here?! Whining that a phone held at an angle exhibits a non-uniform performance?! Now, I can't say I have seen iPhone X in the flesh (mine arrives shortly, no rush, it's just a phone) but I have seen and used a lot of Samsung devices and own two OLED TVs from different manufacturers. While some OLEDs I've seen do exhibit a slight non-uniformity, the majority are just like looking at a picture at a different angles - either no different, or slightly different because light reflects/refracts differently off the surface.

My solution to you all experiencing this, is to stop using your personal device at an angle... Hold the phone in front of your face and view it square on, as it was intended.

Which two manufacturers for the tv ?

LG display makes the underlying panel for all tv manufacturers producing commercial volume OLED tv's right now

You got an LG and a Sony a1e?

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I'm troubled by those that speak of extreme angles. My colour shift is such that even when looked at directly on access the length of the phone gives enough angle to see blue at the top and yellow at the bottom. The tiniest tilt on top of that it it goes straight from yellow tint to bright white / blue.

There is no extreme angle here, it's incredibly distracting!

Now, that would be a deal breaker to me. If it doesn’t look uniform when viewed straight on, I generally return the device unless it’s barely noticeable.

Uniformity is much more important to me than something looking slightly more crispy, black looking truly black or colors popping more.

Reactions: bevsb2 and Jensend

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
20 degrees is about what's needed to shift from yellow to white/blue on mine. Not an extreme angle is it?

Reactions: jb-net
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.