Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
There was a review on YouTube by a prominent person who mentioned it. Can’t remember which channel (I’ve watched a lot of videos).

I’ve honestly watched so many YouTube X vids they’ve all sort of blurred together in my memory.

Reactions: mebehere

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Hi Guys,

Really don't want to start a big issue or a long debate. Just want some feedback to ensure that my screen isn't defective.

I found that even with true tone turner off in new X which I received this morning there is a yellow hue on the whole screen. Its even more prominent when compared to my 7 Plus.

I know this can be adjusted via accessibility, colour tints etc but I don't want a dud screen out of the box after spending £1149!

Any feedback from X owners across the world would be appreciated.

Thanks

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt OLED technology warmer than what we are used to with iPhones? We have grown accustom to the bluer tones of iPhone panels so I imagine the OLED panel will look warmer, or "yellow".

That's probably partially correct. Most LCD panels tend towards cooler color temperatures. However, iPhone screens have always gotten very high marks for color accuracy in independent testing.

The real proof will be when the iPhone X screen gets benchmarked.

When I started calibrating my own televisions with a colorimeter I thought the color temperature was far too warm because I was used to cooler out of the box TV presets.

After getting experience calibrating and seeing just how good a properly adjusted display looks, which will look warm, I can't even stand to look at a blue tinted screen any longer.

kingneptune117

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2014
Just got my iPhone X. When I powered it on and set it up, I too saw a yellow tint on my display. However, I turned off True Tone, and everything looks great now. Try turning off True Tone!

P.S. This phone is ridiculously nice. I am beyond happy with it.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Just got my iPhone X. When I powered it on and set it up, I too saw a yellow tint on my display. However, I turned off True Tone, and everything looks great now. Try turning off True Tone!

P.S. This phone is ridiculously nice. I am beyond happy with it.

If that is truly fixing it then it's just a software tweak that they need to do.

kingneptune117

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2014
If that is truly fixing it then it's just a software tweak that they need to do.

I just tried it again at my desk. I turned true tone on, the screen immediately got much more yellow. It almost looked like night shift to be honest. With true tone of it looks fantastic, very happy with it.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
My screen uniformity is a little off. Top is a little more blue and the rest is very warm. It’s kinda bugging me for how much money I spent. I may give it a day and see if it changes at all

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
My screen uniformity is a little off. Top is a little more blue and the rest is very warm. It’s kinda bugging me for how much money I spent. I may give it a day and see if it changes at all

It's pretty much the most expensive mainstream smart phone yet released, so if you're not completely happy with it you should definitely return it or demand an exchange.

Reactions: BrightCanon

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The yellow has gone in settings where you go

9a3b8da0e85b599c65e419d6b11f0931.jpg

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I want to turn off auto-brightness, but in reading that “display performance” line, I’m assuming this has to do with preventing burn-in?

From my experience don’t think it matters having auto on or off in terms of screen burn in. Never had any issue personally

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Received my iPhone X today and the color of the screen shifts from "yellow" to blue quite a bit when holiding it ever so slightly different.

Maybe its only my unit... I will check it out tomorrow but I have to say right now Im very disappointed!

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
It's called OLED, if you had done any research before buying a 1000 dollar phone you would have known that that's the big disadvantage of OLED vs LCD.

Reactions: lordhamster

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Hey folks,

I've heard about the general yellowish display, but just wondered if anyone's noticed the issue I seem to be experiencing. When looking at any app with a white background, the display starts a nice, crisp white at the top of the screen, then becomes every-so-slightly yellowish further down. This is very subtle, but noticeable when browsing MacRumors, especially as I scroll up. Disabling True Tone doesn't change anything, just the shade.

I've uploaded a pic - it's subtle, but you can see that the bottom post is yellower than the one above.

Is this just me or is this the same yellowing effect others are seeing? A slightly yellow screen I can cope with, but it must be uniform. Hoping it's software and can be fixed as I really don't want to have to return it. I'm thrilled with it in every other way.

Could you take another photo from the same angle, but flip the phone so the notch is at the bottom?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.