Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
Have you tried applying Settings>General>Display Accommodations>Color Filters - Color tint

and playing around with the intensity/hue settings to get a bluer tint?

Might work, helped my 7 Plus that seemed yellowish.

Oh wow. I feel like I’m pretty well versed in iOS and I had no idea this existed. Playing around with it now, and I think it really would’ve helped improve/remove screen color warmth on several of my past iPhones. Good to know it’s there — thank you!

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Eyes automatically adjust to different white points. Sunlight is yellow but when you go outside your brain thinks it's white. Moonlight is very blue, but it also looks white to people. Inside your house you have different kinds of bulbs, and each looks generally "white". Cameras have all kind of settings to adjust the white point. There's a whole science of color temperatures specifically because there is no absolute white really. It's a perception in your mind.

If you compare 2 screens next to each other, there is always a difference because it's very difficult to get everything exactly the same without expensive calibration. Just look at the phone by itself without comparison and allow your brain to adjust to whatever the X calls "white"

Reactions: corruptdream

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Don't believe any one saying this is "normal" They did not design the panel to be this way. It is the result of manufacturing variability.

It is NOT: a purposely designed warmer tone, glue that will dry, etc. How would you know? You can line up 10 panels, and each will look different.

This is a common problem. Very common. I was hoping Apple would have solved it with the new OLED panel, but I suppose not.

This happens on many types of panels, dating back to the iPhone 5. It plagues Macbook Pros, TV panels, etc.

You are subject to the panel lottery. Your option is the exchange or live with it.

sampo

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2017
Out of the box the iPhone X display is definitely a bit too yellow. The phone also has worse viewing angles than iPhone 6s, which mainly shifts in brightness. Iphone X shifts both in contrast and color. The shift in color is far less apparent than with some of the early oled screens - but can be easily seen even in typical usage scenarios. If you are expecting a better screen in all areas, maybe it can make sense to wait for a second or third iteration. At its current state the display seems to be good enough for an average consumer.

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
Hey folks,

I've heard about the general yellowish display, but just wondered if anyone's noticed the issue I seem to be experiencing. When looking at any app with a white background, the display starts a nice, crisp white at the top of the screen, then becomes every-so-slightly yellowish further down. This is very subtle, but noticeable when browsing MacRumors, especially as I scroll up. Disabling True Tone doesn't change anything, just the shade.

I've uploaded a pic - it's subtle, but you can see that the bottom post is yellower than the one above.

Is this just me or is this the same yellowing effect others are seeing? A slightly yellow screen I can cope with, but it must be uniform. Hoping it's software and can be fixed as I really don't want to have to return it. I'm thrilled with it in every other way.

Attachments

• IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 999
Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Don't believe any one saying this is "normal" They did not design the panel to be this way. It is the result of manufacturing variability.

It is NOT: a purposely designed warmer tone, glue that will dry, etc. How would you know? You can line up 10 panels, and each will look different.

This is a common problem. Very common. I was hoping Apple would have solved it with the new OLED panel, but I suppose not.

This happens on many types of panels, dating back to the iPhone 5. It plagues Macbook Pros, TV panels, etc.

You are subject to the panel lottery. Your option is the exchange or live with it.

Honest question- what is the harm in just adjusting the color tint in settings? I mean I calibrate my TVs, desktop monitor, why is a phone screen any different? Am I throwing the whole display of the phone off kilt by adjusting the tint in display settings? Because now mine looks fantastic.

MiBook84

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I noticed a lot of color tint on mine. It is pretty annoying and very easily seen even just browsing through emails from a regular viewing angle - since the screen is so tall I presume. I am not very happy about it but maybe one gets used to it, but for the premium price Im leaning towards going back to my iPhone 7+ again - that screen is flawless.

Attachments

• iphone_x_color_shifting.jpg
    iphone_x_color_shifting.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 858

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Honest question- what is the harm in just adjusting the color tint in settings? I mean I calibrate my TVs, desktop monitor, why is a phone screen any different? Am I throwing the whole display of the phone off kilt by adjusting the tint in display settings? Because now mine looks fantastic.

There's no harm. If it fixes the problem for you, then go for it.

But for many people the issue is not a uniformly warmer or cooler tone. It's a changing tone depending on the angle, or even blotches/gradients of color change from the same angle. Calibration won't solve that.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Yeah but when I tilt the phone to the side it becomes a lot whiter/ brighter?
[doublepost=1509710433][/doublepost]
I don't have another phone to take a video/ picture, but my friend is coming round soon so can do then. It's really odd

My guess is that Apple went with a warmer display because of blue shift in OLED panels. It looks "whiter" because the colors shift to blue on OLED when shifted off axis, so it removes the warmer tint of the display. Also double check that true tone is off, because TT will make the screen warmer 90% of the time, unless you are under fluorescent lights.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Hi
Got my X this morning - when the display is head on there is an almost yellow tint to it; when I turn it to the side it is obviously much more white

Why is this??

I even turned off ‘True Tone display’ but that hasn’t changed anything...

Thoughts?
James :)
No pics with a cosmetic issue?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
People should post their x phone...hopefully the mr editor could make a headline from it.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
It’s just the new “True Tone” mode,it changes in different situations.
It can be turned off in the Settings/Display & Brightens.
Just turn it off and you get crisp cool white display.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Yeeeeaaahh, I only had a uniform general warmness, nothing splotchy or off angle color changes. Toggling True Tone does the trick for me. For $1000.... hell to the no, no, noooo... I wouldn’t even post a thread, I’d be on my way to the Apple store...

This is reminiscent of when I owned Samsung phones...

xeio

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
maybe it will get better after a few more hours with using it. otherwise i would go to the apple store

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008

How in the world would Apple have solved it if Apple is not producing the panels?
Apple just buys the panels from Samsung, and they are not even the latest generation ones, as those are reserved for Samsung flagships. All Apple can do is to modify some parameters via software, as hadrware is totally developed by Samsung. Aspple just buys the panels.
Apple is very competent in many cases, specially when they gather software and hardware developeed purposedly.
In the case of the iPhone X panels, they are just buying 2 generation old ones from Samsung (similar to the ones that equipped the Galaxy S6).
Sure, the display seems beter, but that's just due to the software implemented optimization. Regarding hardware, these panels had all the issues that usually affect OLED displays.

Reactions: jamesrick80

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Its a tradeoff with OLED - Off Axis Color Shifting - not a defect. Apparently the higher resolution, deeper blacks and much higher contrast of OLED vs lower contrast, grayish blacks of LCD but no color shifting. But with LCD you also have uniformity issues (yuck!)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I do not like them blue and cold. I guess a bit warm is my favorite. Apple can not please everyone.

I assume you turned off TrueTone

I haven’t seen the X yet, but on my 8+ I ultimately turned True Tone off because under nearly all indoor conditions it leans warmer to my eyes.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.