Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Don't know if you are aware, but ProCreate dev says they need to patch for the M1, as currently iPad OS is limiting the ram / doesn't identify the device right. Once they patch we should see the improvements...
Just saw that in another thread. Thank you. I had to return the M1 for other reasons, but may pick one up on sale, if the Procreate devs and iPad OS can get get that fixed.

Reactions: dazcox5181

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Let’s be real here, you don’t need the 2021 iPad Pro. You could get by with an ipad 6 from what you describe your usage as. Anyway, if you can afford it, keep it. Spoil yourself, you deserve it.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
After 4 days playing with the M1, I’m sticking with my 2018 and the M1 is going back. None of my editing apps run any faster in the M1 than my 2018, and I don’t use the front facing camera enough for it to justify the price. Not sure what I was expecting, but after the awesome experience that the M1 MBA has been I guess it was more than what iPadOS currently allows.
Maybe I’ll revisit this in a couple months, but if so it’ll be a used or discounted model, not a brand new one because even with a full featured OS the 2021 isn’t worth what Apple is asking full retail.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If there is no free return I think many of the people wouldn’t even have bought it in the first place. It’s quite interesting that the OP asked us to give him/her a reason to not return the product. You’ve played with it personally, it’s your decision. Or you just want to try the newest and greatest for free? If the society has more people like you the system won’t work anymore. For example, in Hong Kong, Apple no longer offers any free return period due to the scalpers returning products en masse, sometimes even with bricks inside the box.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I've had a 2018 iPad Pro 11" for a few years now and loved it. I'm a heavy Mac user but the iPad has its place for me, despite all the shortcomings of iPadOS.

I use it mainly as my "meeting computer", keeping my M1 MBP docked on my desk while I go back and forth to meetings throughout the day, taking notes and so forth. It's also a great device for casual computing: editing photos, reading books, light web surfing, watching content, etc. It's hard to describe but it just has its place in my computing life.

I sprung for a 2021 iPad Pro 11" on release day, not sure if I'd want to keep it, but wanted to give myself the option to decide.

The question for me is, given that this is an expensive device that is not my primary computer, am I justified in keeping it? Is my 2018 iPad Pro "good enough"? Do I really need an M1-powered iPad Pro?

Bear in mind that my 2018 and now 2021 iPads are Wi-Fi only (I can easily hotspot), so the cellular use-case is not something to consider in this decision. Also keep in mind that my 2018 and now 2021 iPads have 256GB of storage. All told, they are expensive devices for what they do for me, but also definitely not the most heavily-spec'd iPads you can buy that really break the bank.
100% Canceled my 12.9” MIniLED

those Funds are heading towards a 2021 14” XDR iPad Pro with mini-LED but my money bets Apple Only offers Mini-LED on the more expensive 16” model pushing people towards that.

• Haha
Reactions: Surfman

appdev42

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2021
People who don’t know what the want must cost apple and its CUSTOMERS a fortune with people buying then returning an item.

Keep it you bought it…………………
This is absolutely not true. Allowing customers to make returns decreases risk/resistance and encourages buying. Companies make more money by offering returns. Apple makes WAY more from allowing returns than they do from processing them.

And even if that wasn’t true (which it definitely is), you are acting in good faith and within terms and should not feel bad about returning an item you don’t want or need.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This is absolutely not true. Allowing customers to make returns decreases risk/resistance and encourages buying. Companies make more money by offering returns. Apple makes WAY more from allowing returns than they do from processing them.

And even if that wasn’t true (which it definitely is), you are acting in good faith and within terms and should not feel bad about returning an item you don’t want or need.
Apple Hong Kong is not going to agree with you. They stopped offering any returns since some time in 2017.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Thank you all for your feedback! Just to make it clear, the title of my post could easily be rephrased as "2018 vs 2021 iPad Pro: is it worth upgrading?". I think the "Convince me" language riled some people up, but at least it got a fruitful discussion going with good arguments on either side.

My final decision, based on some of the input here, was to keep the 2021 iPad Pro and trade-in my 2018 model at my local Apple Store. I was able to get nearly $500 for it (after 3 years!), so the math worked out for me to make this upgrade and future-proof my setup for several years into the future.

If the trade-in value wasn't as high, I may've likely kept the 2018. The used iPad market's pretty hot right now, and that's what made this pencil out.

The Apple Store provided me cash value (rather than a gift card), since I used my Apple Card / Apple Cash, which also helped make the decision to trade-in. Lastly, being able to get the device physically inspected in front of me at an Apple Store, rather than shipping it out to some untrustworthy trade-in dealer, put me at ease as well. I've had bad luck with that in the past and this time it was a much smoother, more trustful experience.

Coda: if Apple has such a generous return policy (if you choose to call it that), that's on them. They've already priced their products with the return policy in mind, and they have an efficient device refurbishment/recycling system that turns around open-box items easily and cheaply. It's all of our right to purchase a device, try it, and return it if we want. There are countless posts here with buying advice that reiterates that.

Last edited:

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
Idk, do you use it? If not, you don't need it. Eventually why I got rid of mine and got a MacBook Air instead.

Chazani

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Thank you all for your feedback! Just to make it clear, the title of my post could easily be rephrased as "2018 vs 2021 iPad Pro: is it worth upgrading?". I think the "Convince me" language riled some people up, but at least it got a fruitful discussion going with good arguments on either side.

My final decision, based on some of the input here, was to keep the 2021 iPad Pro and trade-in my 2018 model at my local Apple Store. I was able to get nearly $500 for it (after 3 years!), so the math worked out for me to make this upgrade and future-proof my setup for several years into the future.

If the trade-in value wasn't as high, I may've likely kept the 2018. The used iPad market's pretty hot right now, and that's what made this pencil out.

The Apple Store provided me cash value (rather than a gift card), since I used my Apple Card / Apple Cash, which also helped make the decision to trade-in. Lastly, being able to get the device physically inspected in front of me at an Apple Store, rather than shipping it out to some untrustworthy trade-in dealer, put me at ease as well. I've had bad luck with that in the past and this time it was a much smoother, more trustful experience.

Coda: if Apple has such a generous return policy (if you choose to call it that), that's on them. They've already priced their products with the return policy in mind, and they have an efficient device refurbishment/recycling system that turns around open-box items easily and cheaply. It's all of our right to purchase a device, try it, and return it if we want. There are countless posts here with buying advice that reiterates that.

Glad to hear you decided to keep the device, and trade in the old one to help mitigate the cost of the new one.

Reactions: kazmac and haruhiko

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Don't know if you are aware, but ProCreate dev says they need to patch for the M1, as currently iPad OS is limiting the ram / doesn't identify the device right. Once they patch we should see the improvements...
I emailed Tim Cook about great tech support and added a mention about this: I hope his teams can work to allow more than 2GB of RAM in Procreate. If Apple and Procreate fix this, I’ll happily buy another M1 11” iPad Pro.

dazcox5181

Suspended
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
I emailed Tim Cook about great tech support and added a mention about this: I hope his teams can work to allow more than 2GB of RAM in Procreate. If Apple and Procreate fix this, I’ll happily buy another M1 11” iPad Pro.
The 2020 allowed 5gb I believe. The question is whether iOS will be updated to really use the 16gb on the pro, but as that creates a split market, I expect 5gb per app is actually way more than enough, given how the M1 efficienctly uses ram/swap.
ProCreate patch is in review...

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
The 2020 allowed 5gb I believe. The question is whether iOS will be updated to really use the 16gb on the pro, but as that creates a split market, I expect 5gb per app is actually way more than enough, given how the M1 efficienctly uses ram/swap.
ProCreate patch is in review...
Yeah, so utterly sleep deprived yesterday so I missed the 5gb and now know that there is a patch in the works. I'll wait on sales and possibly for what they do with the next Air. As soon as Procreate is allotted more RAM though, I will be super happy and definitely upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if the M1 pushing so hard and heating up while using Procreate was due to the current limitation.

The M1 chip is pretty great, so I hope Apple will allot more RAM to devs and tasks on these iPad Pros.

Thanks ?

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
I've had a 2018 iPad Pro 11" for a few years now and loved it. I'm a heavy Mac user but the iPad has its place for me, despite all the shortcomings of iPadOS.

I use it mainly as my "meeting computer", keeping my M1 MBP docked on my desk while I go back and forth to meetings throughout the day, taking notes and so forth. It's also a great device for casual computing: editing photos, reading books, light web surfing, watching content, etc. It's hard to describe but it just has its place in my computing life.

I sprung for a 2021 iPad Pro 11" on release day, not sure if I'd want to keep it, but wanted to give myself the option to decide.

The question for me is, given that this is an expensive device that is not my primary computer, am I justified in keeping it? Is my 2018 iPad Pro "good enough"? Do I really need an M1-powered iPad Pro?

Bear in mind that my 2018 and now 2021 iPads are Wi-Fi only (I can easily hotspot), so the cellular use-case is not something to consider in this decision. Also keep in mind that my 2018 and now 2021 iPads have 256GB of storage. All told, they are expensive devices for what they do for me, but also definitely not the most heavily-spec'd iPads you can buy that really break the bank.

Sounds like you like having it. If anything, downgrade to a different model. Can you accomplish the same thing with an iPad Air? If so, go ahead.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

I have no problem with returning something that is defective or doesn’t work. However, I don’t agree with doing impulse purchases and returning cause I changed my mind. I’m sure Apple didn’t set up the no question 14 day return policy for people to just try out and sample their products.

CRX

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa

I'm kind of going through the same thing. Initially was going for iPad 8 but the shipping delay was frustrating, so I said screw it. Let's try the fancy new design. Took advantage of the extra trade credit promo Apple was offering and got a nice chunk back for my Mini 5 with a heavily degraded battery (likely around what I'd get selling on Marketplace if I could even move it, so I'm happy). I figured why not try the M1 11-inch Pro, see how I like promotion/quad speakers/Pencil 2, etc.? Apple had a 256 GB unit available for pickup in silver so I just went for it. Gorgeous machine. Lol it did have an ever-so-slight bend out of the box but legit putting it into a cheap magnetic folio case fixed it. I do find myself babying it a bit, but not as much as first anticipated. That's par for the course when spending this amount, I suppose.

But while I'm definitely noticing the Pencil 2/promotion benefits for notes (which is my primary use as a writer along with drafting projects when travelling remotely) and love the more modern design, I keep looking at the Air 4. Only reason I haven't "downgraded" is the screen panel lottery that seems to be more prevalent on those - the panel on my Pro is excellent and uniform other than a bit of very subtle light "pinching" along the bottom (port) side, but you can't tell it's there even at max brightness when in use. I'm definitely happy with the Pro but don't think I'd miss some of the features it has, so it looks like a good opportunity to save. I will say that it's harder than ever to justify going all the way down to iPad 8 as first planned - the redesign and Pencil 2 are definitely worthwhile. But promotion and Face ID? Not sure I'd be sobbing over their loss, necessarily.

I'm glad I gave it a shot and can see what all the excitement is about. But maybe I'll go for a 64 GB Air (a bit less storage than I'd prefer as once we travel again I'll be doing so frequently, remotely and loaded with videos/music, though if I can get those onto a hard drive with minimal fuss then that's a non-issue). Definitely have to think it over, especially in regards to screen QA/RAM/longevity. Choices, choices!

Last edited:
Reactions: dukee101

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It’s a lovely piece of ‘kit’ as I think the British say

But, if you dont want to keep it dont its a lot of coin for something you aren’t happy with. No harm no foul.

It’s a sweet M1 netbook / tablet hybrid imo

Attachments

• 0E82F55B-C725-46B1-B52E-6A52B499D0C6.jpeg
    0E82F55B-C725-46B1-B52E-6A52B499D0C6.jpeg
    480.1 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.