Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
sleep is actually broken for me as expected for a quick ‚plug and play‘.

Didn‘t use polarisboost yet with the xeon but maybe i‘ll try this evening - anyway i‘m sceptical as CMMChris PTPL is intended for desktop 580s not for mobile wx7100, though.
Check the iMac 2011 graphics thread, we published a guide how to setup OpenCore to get most out of this card and made a condensed version of RadeonBoost called PolarisBoost just for these AMD cards.
I would not sacrifice the sleep for 100MHz more :)

roscho

macrumors member
May 17, 2020
Switzerland
Re,
je m'en doutais bien que les trads était limite...

J'ai 2600 avec ma Quadro K2100M avec le Metal test de GeekBench (elle est à 2398 Max sur Metal GeekBench) quand ça déconne pas, j'ai pas trouvé de solution malgré mes changements de Kexts.

Je crois que je vais reprendre des cours d'Anglais c'est un peu chiant les traductions à l'arrache.
A 43 ans il n'est pas trop tard.

Pas grave, je suis heureux d'avoir l'opportunité de faire conversation en français!
ça fait presqu'une vingtaine d'années que j'ai passe un part de mes études à Marseille...?

Edit: @Ausdauersportler : But PolarisBosst won't give me back sleep, will it?
In fact, from a performance point of view, my WX7100 performance is worse either with PolarisBoost or RadeonBoost.

I'm really wondering why benchmarks are so heterogeneous even for people with the same cards / setup.

There should be a solution to sleep issues in the hackintosh forums however...
Enough people are using Xeons in their mac pros, or Xeons on Z68 MBs...

Last edited:

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Okay, hopefully somebody has figured out which extension to patch or add to make the sleep working, again. I would assume it is more easy to use a CPU known to work in original Apple models? PolarisBoost will only let your WX7100 perform better with Geekbench and other metal benchmarks, avoid sleep problems with the GPU etc...

I have a WX7100 just now running in a late 2009 27 getting a score of more than 38000 doing the GeekBench Metal benchmark. There is room for improvement.

Last edited:

roscho

macrumors member
May 17, 2020
Switzerland
guys, please use English in this thread,
Thanks, its such pain to use google translate
With pleasure. Anyway french is not my mother tongue.

BTW, imagine what pain it might be for the 5 billion non native english speakers on this planet to use google translate all the time. Or to simply learn a foreign language.

Regards, R.

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

DeletteUA

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2020
With pleasure. Anyway french is not my mother tongue.

BTW, imagine what pain it might be for the 5 billion non native english speakers on this planet to use google translate all the time. Or to simply learn a foreign language.

Regards, R.

Well i can answer using my native language - Ukrainian, and trust me - it is very hard to read the text translated using google translate

StephN999

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Bonjour DeletteUA,

sorry but it is precisely because Google translation made bad translation that I allowed myself, after that it was no longer a private conversation, sorry if it bothered you. ?

DeletteUA

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2020
Bonjour DeletteUA,

sorry but it is precisely because Google translation made bad translation that I allowed myself, after that it was no longer a private conversation, sorry if it bothered you. ?

I just asked, because if you use english - there is higher chance that you can receive a reply wich can help you to solve the ussue

Last edited:

StephN999

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Bonjour / Bonsoir,

@roscho and @Pacific1972, in my english (not trad) you saw, your messages original it transmit by Mail. ?

Sorry! ?

Google translate to stay on topic: ?

I look forward to it because for the moment not the means on my side, to see an Ivy Bridge work on our old machine, even if I would have preferred to be the first, otherwise no track for the setting not deep standby?

Same with DeepL:

I'm looking forward to seeing an Ivy Bridge working on our old machine, even if I would have preferred to be the first, otherwise there's no track for a deep sleep?

Bonne journée/ soirée. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: roscho

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
According to ark.intel.com there are two E3-1290, the first based on the Sandy Bridge family with 3.6 and boost 4.0GHz, the second E3-1290v2 based on Ivy Bridge with 3.7 and 4.1 boost core frequency - you can still make it to be the first having a working Ivy Bridge CPU in this machines, I guess.

Last edited:

StephN999

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Bonsoir,

Personally I'm waiting until the end of August to maybe buy an Ivy bridge (if I can afford it at that time and without telling too much about my life I'll have it soon for much more) it will be Core i7-3770S (intel IGPU obliges), now if it works, so much the better, in any case I would have tried it because I really love challenges.

Anyway, I'm still thinking of getting a new generation Imac or an iMac pro, I'm not sure (the latest MacPro is of no interest to me).

But I promise I will test this Ivy Brigde!!!!!!!!!!!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version).

roscho

macrumors member
May 17, 2020
Switzerland
:) perhaps you can answer in Ukrainian, the google translator is not very language logical :)

...we have here (for other languages) www.deepl.com (also as APP for MacOS) !

ROTFL ?

Didn‘t know deepl yet, seems to work really well... Thanks for the hint!

@Ausdauersportler:
I used the Sandy Bridge Xeon, I fear for StephN999s plan there is no way around further microcode / firmware experiments...respect for trying!

@StephN999: Deepl‘s translation is FAR better than the one from google!

Attachments

• B5047443-BC61-45F8-AD4D-C091A1F0320C.jpeg
    B5047443-BC61-45F8-AD4D-C091A1F0320C.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Curtis Gross

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
I just went through a Xeon install in my 2011 iMac.
Few notes:
  1. I used the 1240, which does not have the iGPU and it works great. Multi-core performance is up 30% from my old i5 2500s
  2. I used a chip that does not have the igpu. So that should open up everything from the 1230 on up to the 1290 for usage in a 2011 imac.
  3. I am running into the sleep bug that impacts Sandy Bridge chips because of their HD3000 igpu... but my chip doesn't have an igpu!
  4. Outside of the sleep bug (I just have my computer turn off every day) the performance is fantastic going to a cheaper alternative to the i7 2600.

roscho

macrumors member
May 17, 2020
Switzerland
Re-flash the original firmware, I had similar results when swapping Microcode for Core 2 quad

@highvoltage12v,

I would ask for your opinion concerning sleep and Xeon upgrades.

Do you think it's possible that your HD3000 / AppleIntelSNBGraphics patches for Catalina interfere with Xeon sleep?
I mean on a machine like mine originally equipped with an i7-2600, being patched and CPU swap later on...
Should I try to deinstall those patches (if yes, how?) or would this only mess the system up?

Thanks in advance for your advice

regards,

R.

Curtis Gross

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
@highvoltage12v,

I would ask for your opinion concerning sleep and Xeon upgrades.

Do you think it's possible that your HD3000 / AppleIntelSNBGraphics patches for Catalina interfere with Xeon sleep?
I mean on a machine like mine originally equipped with an i7-2600, being patched and CPU swap later on...
Should I try to deinstall those patches (if yes, how?) or would this only mess the system up?

Thanks in advance for your advice

regards,

R.
During my upgrade I did a clean install of Catalina (no sleep fixes at all) and I still had sleep issues. after I added the hd3000 fixes and... still sleep issues!

Reactions: roscho

roscho

macrumors member
May 17, 2020
Switzerland
Okay, hopefully somebody has figured out which extension to patch or add to make the sleep working, again. I would assume it is more easy to use a CPU known to work in original Apple models? PolarisBoost will only let your WX7100 perform better with Geekbench and other metal benchmarks, avoid sleep problems with the GPU etc...

I have a WX7100 just now running in a late 2009 27 getting a score of more than 38000 doing the GeekBench Metal benchmark. There is room for improvement.

Update: Checked the 2011 27“ performance under High Sierra with the Xeon E3-1290 and WX7100 installed. The Geekbench results were essentially comparable to i7-2600/WX7100 under Catalina before (Metal around 38000).

So my performance breakdown after CPU swap in Catalina was likely due to some SW problem and not due to the Xeon.

Curtis Gross

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
Update: Checked the 2011 27“ performance under High Sierra with the Xeon E3-1290 and WX7100 installed. The Geekbench results were essentially comparable to i7-2600/WX7100 under Catalina before (Metal around 38000).

So my performance breakdown after CPU swap in Catalina was likely due to some SW problem and not due to the Xeon.

Note that Intel has had MULTIPLE security issues in the last year that likely required software mitigation (decreases in performance) in Catalina. So - it is likely that all macs across the line got a decrease in performance.

StephN999

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Bonjour,
We could always test a pre-spectre microcode to see if we regain a lot or not.

Attention I repeat that on our machines the microdes are in duplicate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.