Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Since early 2015 modells, MacBook Pros (and 12inch MacBooks) suffer from a design flaw, which results a rattle from the LCD (more info here).

Now there's a little hope, that with the 2017 upgrade Apple finally readjusted the display.
Dear 2017 MBP Owners, Could you confirm that?

Thank you!

Reactions: ColdShadow

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
It's not a design flaw because it doesn't really manifest itself during normal usage. Ever.

transistor2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
Since early 2015 modells, MacBook Pros (and 12inch MacBooks) suffer from a design flaw, which results a rattle from the LCD (more info here).

Now there's a little hope, that with the 2017 upgrade Apple finally readjusted the display.
Dear 2017 MBP Owners, Could you confirm that?

Thank you!

I can tell you that I was really annoyed by that rattle issue with the 2016 13" nTB I had for about 6 months. Recently I sold the 2016 and got the 2017 13" nTB, the 128 GB model at first, which was a mistake due to the lack of storage space. The 128 GB one I had first had the rattle, but it wasn't as bad as the 2016. I ended up exchanging the 128 and got the 256 instead and I was pleased to find the 256 did not have the rattle. So it's still a hit or miss issue.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
No rattle on my 2016, no rattle on my 2017 either. Although I did have it on a nTB version I bought before I decided to go with the TB model, but it wasn't really a big deal to me because it only happened when I moved the laptop in a certain way.

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
No rattle on my 2016, no rattle on my 2017 either. Although I did have it on a nTB version I bought before I decided to go with the TB model, but it wasn't really a big deal to me because it only happened when I moved the laptop in a certain way.

This rattle is what you writing about?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think they mean the sound you hear from the screen when you shake the computer.
Oh, it comes from the screen? Odd, I would have expected the buttons or keys, like how some iphones have a rattle when you shake them.

wiffle

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
I had this issue on my 2016 which was promptly fixed with a display replacement.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
What do you expect when an employee gets paid a $1 /hour wages working a 12 hour shifts?? Mistakes happen when these things assembled.
And it's a industry acceptable standard, that 3-4% of products are faulty right out of the factory.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Oh, it comes from the screen? Odd, I would have expected the buttons or keys, like how some iphones have a rattle when you shake them.

Don't all smartphones rattle due to the tilt sensor?

For what it's worth, I believe Apple use two different screen manufacturers. One of which rattles a little more than the other when using the device as an impromptu musical instrument.

It is by design. There is a layer that is loose to allow for expansion due to heating. The layer has been there since the first retina MBPs.

Just to add to this, I believe it's part of the IPS display. You can find information about how those things are constructed. It's a matrix or something-whatnot.

Edit here:
untitled.jpg

One of those. Take a wild guess at which component it could be, why it could be, and why any of it is detrimental to the computer.

I predict we'll see: The diffuser, because Apple make terrible computers, and because I paid $5000 for a computer. But I'm happy to see what people come up with and see if it gets us anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerryk

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Late 2016 tbMBP 15" here, zero rattle.
This is an issue though, where the hell is Apple's QA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.