Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I had 2 retina MBPs 2014 and 2015 and used them for years NEVER had such issue.
yet my 12" retina MB has this problem.
it is a design flaw.quite annoying, when you consider how much these machines cost, you really shouldn't be dealing with some plastic part hanging loose inside knocking here and there when you handle your laptop.it's just stupid and unacceptable.
[doublepost=1498941862][/doublepost]
really? is that what you think? so are the rattling 12" MB / new MBP the only laptops in the world with high resolution displays? that's a laughable comment.
look,I've had 2 Retina MBP and there are hundreds of high resolution laptops out there, many with better quality than these rattling MacBooks and neither have such design flaws.neither make this clanking noise when being handled as if an amateur child designed them and forgot to properly secure the loose parts..
even Apple themselves wouldn't defend such annoying flaw like you.

I've handled several laptops in my lifetime, some have rattled when shaken and some haven't. Not specific to MacBooks in any way, and I am not defending Apple in any way. I am defending how IPS panels are constructed. One thing I would comment however is that a lot of Apple users expect absolute perfection, which is my first thought whenever I see "I paid MONIES for this!", heck I've paid "MONIES" for a brand new BMW, still had an issue with it.

Seriously people complain about this issue every now and again, it reminds me of the Simpsons 'Sideburns' issue. I agree there are time's it is due to a defect in manufacturing, but 99% of the time it is considered absolutely normal and seeking out a 'perfect' computer is just a nonsensical waste of time and resources.

If your computer is genuinely affected, or if you are genuinely affected by this. Then consider a laptop with an OLED or TN panel instead, as that's the only way to 100% remove the problem as they are constructed in a different way. Even if you get an IPS panel that doesn't rattle today, it is likely to develop at some point when the construction glue used to align everything in the factory wears off due to heat/use.

Of course if it isn't the panel then it needs to be fixed. But if you pinch the screen whilst 'shaking' and it doesn't produce a rattle, then it's part of the construction process.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I've handled several laptops in my lifetime, some have rattled when shaken and some haven't. Not specific to MacBooks in any way, and I am not defending Apple in any way. I am defending how IPS panels are constructed. One thing I would comment however is that a lot of Apple users expect absolute perfection, which is my first thought whenever I see "I paid MONIES for this!", heck I've paid "MONIES" for a brand new BMW, still had an issue with it.

Seriously people complain about this issue every now and again, it reminds me of the Simpsons 'Sideburns' issue. I agree there are time's it is due to a defect in manufacturing, but 99% of the time it is considered absolutely normal and seeking out a 'perfect' computer is just a nonsensical waste of time and resources.

If your computer is genuinely affected, or if you are genuinely affected by this. Then consider a laptop with an OLED or TN panel instead, as that's the only way to 100% remove the problem as they are constructed in a different way. Even if you get an IPS panel that doesn't rattle today, it is likely to develop at some point when the construction glue used to align everything in the factory wears off due to heat/use.

Of course if it isn't the panel then it needs to be fixed. But if you pinch the screen whilst 'shaking' and it doesn't produce a rattle, then it's part of the construction process.

buddy what you are saying absolutely makes ZERO sense.
you are basically saying all laptops with IPS display rattle! that's just a bizarre claim.
I don't even know where to begin now.

ok, I've had at least 7-8 laptops in my lifetime 3 of them being Macs..and I've used at least a dozen of people's laptops and there were NO such problem in any of them.many of those laptops were cheap budget nasty ones..not even on those.

you say it's because people expect perfection? is it expecting perfection to expect a top of the range laptop not to have something loose inside rattle around? seriously..think about it.

this is a problem that affects MANY of their newer laptops and NOT all of them.so they should do something about it.
I will sell it and buy an XPS or something, but what about others? search youtube or google and see how many people have this problem.

Reactions: domsodidavid

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
I have started to experience this today. I might take into the Apple Store tomorrow to get it looked at.

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
2017 15"

Talked to Apple online and they said "doesn't sound normal to be honest", even though I said it's all over the web. I don't shake my MacBook, but I do feel something moving inside when I pick it up from the desk sometimes.

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
2017 15"

Talked to Apple online and they said "doesn't sound normal to be honest", even though I said it's all over the web. I don't shake my MacBook, but I do feel something moving inside when I pick it up from the desk sometimes.

When did the problem begin to occur?

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
I only noticed it this morning (MacBook is about a week old) when I picked it up, I felt something. Then moving it side to side there does sound like something is moving a little. Not really a huge issue as I don't move my MacBook much, but I'll be getting it checked at least before the warranty is out.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I only noticed it this morning (MacBook is about a week old) when I picked it up, I felt something. Then moving it side to side there does sound like something is moving a little. Not really a huge issue as I don't move my MacBook much, but I'll be getting it checked at least before the warranty is out.
which model is your machine? (Pro or 12" and year?)

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi, I've got a brand new 2015 13" MBP. Yesterday after reading this thread I tested the rattle. Only if I shake it violently from side to side it sounds. I'm not gonna do it amymore.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
are you for real?
you don't need to shake the damn thing to make that rattle happen.it happens simply by handling the laptop.
it rattles as soon as you tilt the laptop or lift it up.
there is something loose in these machines, it rattles when the device is moved.
how can someone call that normal is beyond me, even the cheapest budget laptops don't do that.this are expensive premium machines we are talking about.such flaws are not accepted.

"are you for real" Okay let me go shake my laptop like a baby rattle and see if makes any noise, then I'll come back and cry like you..

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryDJP

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
"are you for real" Okay let me go shake my laptop like a baby rattle and see if makes any noise, then I'll come back and cry like you..

I don't understand what 'normal use' is anymore, I mean I place it on a desk and type. Am I using it wrong, is there some greater experience I'm missing out on with these things?

To be fair I imagine there are a few genuine extreme examples of this, in which case by all means get it replaced. But I swear the pedantic nature has filtered down into the most minute of concerns over every aspect of the computer, just because it cost more than an HP. I think there was someone who returned it 10 times? I've seen people return MacBooks 5 times because of IPS glow. Several more times over a 'loud' keyboard... All I'm saying is there's some extremes of people out there, and all these threads seem to encourage is worry and displeasure.

Not had any issues with mine and am enjoying it very much. I had it replaced over a small scratch and only because they offered to send one out before I sent it back, otherwise I would have left it, it's a tool not a fancy bit of jewellery to make my desk look pretty. For what it's worth, first one did have a slight rattle when shaking (I never noticed it until I read someone complain here), 2nd one no issue that I've spotted. But again, it's sat still at a desk so I probably never will notice this blindly upsetting defect.

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
I don't understand what 'normal use' is anymore, I mean I place it on a desk and type. Am I using it wrong, is there some greater experience I'm missing out on with these things?

Yes there is. The feeling of a perfectly constructed device. We paied for the computer and paid for this feeling too, but when a piece of plastic **** moves freely in the best notebook screen on the planet, this feeling evaporates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ColdShadow

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Why are people shaking their laptops? I never understood this. I've never heard my 2016 rattle, but I never shook it back and for either, why would I?

Reactions: HenryDJP

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Yes there is. The feeling of a perfectly constructed device. We paied for the computer and paid for this feeling too, but when a piece of plastic **** moves freely in the best notebook screen on the planet, this feeling evaporates.

Paying nearly 3 grand for a laptop, no matter who makes it, has be damn perfect.

So this is about the cost of the machine and the perceived experience that paying for a more expensive product creates a better experience in some way?

Doesn't matter if it's a $100 or a $1000 hooker, they both get the job done. I just think this endless pursuit of 'perfection' will only lead to further disappointment if your main focus is on the look of something and not the function. As perfection is an entirely subjective thing, I appreciate if you shake it and it rattles and you don't like that. But you'll be going through potentially dozens of MacBooks because of the reasons laid out in this and many other threads. If the 'experience' of it is all that matters then you may be best to get a different computer as roughly 50% of Macs will exhibit this, all depends on who manufactures the screen in it. LG/Samsung I believe, go take a jab on their forums.

Reactions: pejx72 and HenryDJP

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Forgiving perspective, but It doesn't matter if 50% of them do it or 5% of them do it. It's either 100% and a design flaw and you either deal with it or take it back, or it's a lower percent and a damaged product and they have to make it right.

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
I thought this whole thread was about the fingerprint reader on the touch bar rattling....annoyed the S*** out of me on my 2016 MBP 15".....then the "x" key stoped working, got a whole new bottom case....And a stiff new fingerprint reader!

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Forgiving perspective, but It doesn't matter if 50% of them do it or 5% of them do it. It's either 100% and a design flaw and you either deal with it or take it back, or it's a lower percent and a damaged product and they have to make it right.

It's a flaw in IPS panels. Apple have multiple manufacturers making these, all within set tolerances, occasionally one exhibits a slight rattle when shaken, most if not all will exhibit a rattle when shaken hard. Perspective wise if you shake it enough you will experience a rattle, so if you're pursuing perfection you'll never get it because how much of a shake do you give before you determine it's acceptable?

If the thing was fixed in permanently using a tight friction fitting or strong glue, then it would be prone to breakage through normal expansion, or from a combination of expansion and light pressure on the display (As in when in a bag). Making it ever so slightly loose (We're talking about 0.3mm expansion gap) forgives any inherent issues which could result in a cracked screen. When making the panels themselves, there are multiple layers of refraction films that go into them, which are sandwiched together to make the display. So they will glue things like the light matrix with mild construction adhesive in the factory in order to align things during the manufacturing process. Otherwise the films could fly off, or require manually adjusting to get them aligned (Which requires hands, and so dust/grease/time are an issue for a factory).

This is why some exhibit the rattle and some don't, or why some develop it later. If the glue is solid when it arrives then it won't rattle, but through normal use resulting in heating/cooling of the screen, it will gradually weaken. Then a slight knock will make it break loose and start 'rattling'. Or if you use it only 'normally' as in a desk setup, you will probably never have the problem or indeed ever notice. But if you get a brand new IPS panel, and give it a shake it could cause it to come loose. So what I was saying is if you were particularly perfectionist about this, you will likely never get one because you'll probably give it an extra hard shake to be 'certain' there was no issue, which would likely result in the creation of the issue. Which then makes you send it straight back to Apple, and come here to complain.

Reactions: pejx72

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Why are people shaking their laptops? I never understood this. I've never heard my 2016 rattle, but I never shook it back and for either, why would I?

It's a distortion. We don't shake our laptops, as we said a hundred times, only tilt them.

pejx72

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
Just got my rMB Pro 13 TB and it *has* the "rattle", but I wouldn't call it a rattle. It is an almost imperceptibly gentle thud and, especially now I've read on here advice that the plastic sheet needs to be able to expand when it warms up, I honestly couldn't care less. It may be a design feature, it may not, but it is so slight - and only occurs when I purposely tip the thing and listen carefully - that it makes zero difference to me. As someone said a few posts above, a Macbook without the thud may develop it anyway over time after an unknown number ofexpansion/contraction cycles... The looseness of the plastic sheet has a purpose of sorts. Let it be; find something bigger to worry about ;-)

For anyone who is thinking of letting this issue put them off purchasing, don't pay any attention to this issue. The sound is like an old-school overhead projector A4 plastic slide tapping gently when shuffled in a pile like a pack of cards. Really nothing.

Reactions: waigx

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
I have the 2017 13" TB and I do have the rattle, more than any other MacBook I have ever owned!
Do i care about it? Absolutely not!
Why you may ask... because all MacBooks have this problem and it certainly does not change my user experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.