Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Framboos_Matroos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2021
Don't get me wrong, this design isn't perfect. There is certainly room for improvement, like everything else on this planet. Actually, it has a lot of room for improvement. But is it really 'hideous', 'disappointing' or 'a step backwards'? Imo, people are critizing it way too quickly.

The colours
I have no idea why there's so much critism on this because people have been asking for more colourful macs for ages. Maybe the pastel colours aren't your thing, but they're supposed to be 'light and optimistic, while instantly brightening up any space'. And in my opinion, that's exactly what it does. Still don't like it? You always have silver.
But, maybe you're a more 'everything matte black' person. Then you're either a professional, a very boring person, or both. Like, Apple is trying to be optimistic and fit every colour of the rainbow in their lineup. So why tf would they offer space gray? If you want it to look cool, wait for the 27".

The chin
Of course, if I could choose, I want it to be gone too. But I understand why it's there and I can live with it. Here's why:

1. You concentrate on the screen anyways. Just like a hole punch or notch, the chin fades away after a while. And it doesn't even interrupt the screen itself, only making the front bigger.
2. It contains the six drivers and two pairs of woofers. If it gives me better sound experience, I'll happily accept a chin
3. Its value can't be too good. Remember that the price is 'only' 1299 dollars, you can only do so much with it. If it didn't have a chin, it'll probably come with a price hike. Guess what regular, non-techie customers rather want.
4. If the design is 'too' good, you might get a 'iPad Pro 2018/Apple Watch 4' situation; peaking too early. Apple is still struggling to add big updates with these two products.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I honestly don't care about the Colors or the Chin. It's that atrocious White Bezel that bothers me endlessly.

There is a reason why the entire computing industry has progressed to black bezels, on the way to zero bezels, and it's definitely not an aesthetic one.

It comes down to the very basic reality that a black border around a screen is more seamless and easier on the eyes than white. You don't have to be a "Pro" user to realize that.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Agree with @Framboos_Matroos - it's new design marketed for the mass public - not the pro user.

Colors are a throwback to the old days of Apple when I had the G3 Color iBook, white unibody 2010 Intel Macbook and a white polycarbonate G5/Intel iMac, etc....

At these low consumer price points, I can see schools, business users, corporations and government buying up these iMacs in mass quantities.

Asking my boss to get me one for work (I'd ask for the top tier w/ 2TB) since we use Macs to support our users.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I honestly don't care about the Colors or the Chin. It's that atrocious White Bezel that bothers me endlessly.

There is a reason why the entire computing industry has progressed to black bezels, on the way to zero bezels, and it's definitely not an aesthetic one.

It comes down to the very basic reality that a black border around a screen is more seamless and easier on the eyes than white. You don't have to be a "Pro" user to realize that.
What about people with white walls in there homes?

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
What about people with white walls in there homes?

I actually don't know if you're joking or being serious here.

Of course there is nothing inherently wrong with the color white.

It's when you take white and wrap it around an illuminated screen that you stare at for hours, it clearly becomes the more inferior choice when compared to black.

Having an environment that is generally white vs having a white strip wrapped around the border of a screen are not even in the same ballpark to warrant a comparison.

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK

It's when you take white and wrap it around an illuminated screen that you stare at for hours, it clearly becomes the more inferior choice when compared to black.

Having an environment that is generally white vs having a white strip wrapped around the border of a screen are not even in the same ballpark to warrant a comparison.
You're perfectly entitled to your own opinion, that doesn't mean it's correct and everybody else has agree with it though... I personally don't like using dark mode on websites/apps because light text on a dark background hurts my eyes, I'm not suddenly going to demand that dark mode should be banished.

Apple haven't made a product that ticks all your boxes right now and that should be fine, companies can't create products to suit every single individual that may want to buy one. Sure you may not be getting a new iMac right now but perhaps a new Pro will have black bezels or a screen that goes to the edge.

Personally I think the new iMacs look great, just got to decide on which colour.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
a black border around a screen is more seamless and easier on the eyes than white. You don't have to be a "Pro" user to realize that.

when you take white and wrap it around an illuminated screen that you stare at for hours, it clearly becomes the more inferior choice when compared to black.

It's honestly not clear to me at all why a light gray border surrounding an illuminated screen is a problem. Maybe someone wants to explain.

screen.png

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016

But if I have a screen with a very thin bezel attached to my white wall, I basically have a giant white bezel around my screen. ?

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I like the looks and colors, and I have idea why they didn't continue the color on to the chin, by having the color only on the chassis allows them to build the base computer in color, but have the chin and glass as a common item to reduce having to have a matching part, less different inventory parts.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
You're perfectly entitled to your own opinion, that doesn't mean it's correct and everybody else has agree with it though... I personally don't like using dark mode on websites/apps because light text on a dark background hurts my eyes, I'm not suddenly going to demand that dark mode should be banished.

Apple haven't made a product that ticks all your boxes right now and that should be fine, companies can't create products to suit every single individual that may want to buy one. Sure you may not be getting a new iMac right now but perhaps a new Pro will have black bezels or a screen that goes to the edge.

Personally I think the new iMacs look great, just got to decide on which colour.

You're reading into my comments way too seriously. I couldn't care less what you like. And you should totally feel the same about me too.

It's not about personal preferences or feelings...it's about what the computing industry (including Apple) have already shown in the more widely desired and comfortable option globally through trial and error. It's the average preference of all consumers together.

Black bezels are the industry standard for a reason, with the only thing that's even better being no bezels. That's not something your or my preference can individually change. That's just how it is. It is simply a better, more palatable decision to the general consumer. If you want an example from within Apple itself, just look at the grey-bezeled 2017 Macbook Air vs the black-bezeled Macbook Air in 2018 and onwards.

You may want to consider that your preference is actually the niche case this time around.

Just think about if these new iMacs had black bezels. Do you think we would even be having this conversation? I can promise you there wouldn't be a single thread complaining about the bezels if they were just black...and there certainly wouldn't have been any threads specifically asking to replace the black with white.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
But if I have a screen with a very thin bezel attached to my white wall, I basically have a giant white bezel around my screen. ?

I guess it depends on how close it is to the wall. It would really have to be stuck right to the surface to generate the kind of effect you're suggesting.

I would still prefer black for the opposite reason actually. I like the fact that the black bezel outlines my device against my environment and seamlessly funnels my focus into the screen.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I was initially disappointed that we've seemingly hit something of a design dead end with the iMac. There isn't much they can really do outside of it being a "slab on a stand" at this point.

But it's really grown on me since the reveal. Lovely colors, great minimalism and it just feels a bit retro futuristic overall to me. I was initially gonna give it a few revisions but I'm gonna have a hard time resisting nabbing one shortly after launch.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
It's honestly not clear to me at all why a light gray border surrounding an illuminated screen is a problem. Maybe someone wants to explain.

View attachment 1762210

If you don't find it a problem, more power to you. Seriously, I wish I also felt the exact same way.

I'm not proud of having such a specific, nitpicky issue with a device that I actually think is quite fantastic otherwise! (that includes the colors & to some extent the chin too)

It's not about your (or my) preference though, as I've tried to explain in an earlier message to someone else. We have tried colorful bezels and the market for desktops and laptops worldwide has organically evolved towards black bezels because that's just what most people prefer and find comfortable to use.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I suspect the majority of people that dislike the design, myself included are not going to buy it. In reality, if Apple announced a 32" iMac to replace the 27" with a more powerful M2 or whatever chip in those colours, I would probably buy the grey one.

But I fully expect the larger model when released at the end of 2021 or into 2022 will be space grey, thinner black bezels, apple logo upfront and all the usual things we expect as well as a significantly higher price tag to match.

The 24" is a device for the general user, they will love this in the main. Everything in their apple drawer matched to a specific colour.

SRQrws

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2020
I fully understand that some people appreciate bright, cheery colors and that the new design will certainly appeal to kids. What I don't understand is, given that Apple is willing to have seven different colors, why all but one have to be bright pastels. Wouldn't a perfect compromise have been to have four bright, happy colors and three more 'standard' colors like silver, gray and maybe some kind of tan? That way this new machine could appeal to a much broader spectrum of people, while still offering the "whimsy" of the Easter egg color palette. Then, maybe offer light or dark bezels to appropriately complement the chassis color. I also don't understand the obsession with thinness in a DESKTOP machine. Who cares how thin it is? By adding an extra quarter inch in depth they could have incorporated the power supply internally and provided even better speaker/sound capability.

Yes, there will be a bigger, perhaps more sedate, iMac in the future that might be more conservative in design. I just don't understand why they couldn't have appealed to a broader market with the new 24" version.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It's not about personal preferences or feelings...it's about what the computing industry (including Apple) have already shown in the more widely desired and comfortable option globally through trial and error. It's the average preference of all consumers together.

So then you'd have to conclude that Apple is stupid for releasing these iMacs. I don't think they're stupid; I think you're projecting your evaluation of the bezel to more people than is warranted. I'd wager the average non-Apple-forum type consumer walking into the Apple store and seeing these isn't even going to give the bezel a passing thought.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
So then you'd have to conclude that Apple is stupid. I don't think they're stupid; I think you're projecting your evaluation of the bezel to everyone (or most everyone) else when it's simply not true.
They very well can be and often are, stupid. They have real winners that they've brought on board in the last decade to replace quality career people, and now they are stuck with them. They piss off Jonny Ive so much with their purple haired MBA's making decisions that he leaves the job of a lifetime where he's done the best work of any designer in modern history. And now you get pastel iMacs with white bezels that just look lazy, and appeal to absolutely no one.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
They very well can be and often are, stupid. They have real winners that they've brought on board in the last decade to replace quality career people, and now they are stuck with them. They piss off Jonny Ive so much with their purple haired MBA's making decisions that he leaves the job of a lifetime where he's done the best work of any designer in modern history. And now you get pastel iMacs with white bezels that just look lazy, and appeal to absolutely no one.

Posters in this thread and others have already proven you wrong by their enthusiasm for these new iMacs. You're in an echo-chamber. I'd suggest you get out of it. That's all I'm going to say to you.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
OP, Why do you think the new iMac design needs defending? It doesn't need defending nor does anyone here need to justify to any other member why they like the new iMac etc. It really doesn't matter why someone wants to buy the new iMac and no one here should be made to feel bad for liking the new design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.