Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
I'm the opposite, I wish they made a red iMac too - although I'm happy orange is getting some love too!
I think the possibility of a red iMac is pretty big considering they've just released a purple iPhone 12 months after the launching.
I could see a Product(RED) iMac 24" will arrive in the near future (years, lol).

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
The appearance of the new iMac seems simply to be a problem either with Apple's ID (Industrial Design) team esthetic, or in the product design directives they've received from management that accounted for this design decision.

Perhaps I represent an minority view, but the "very thin design" of a all-in-one desktop computer was never of great import to me. The overheating, fan-noise, lack of room for DVD drives etc. that are inherent in any thin design was of far more important. When sitting in front an iMac one cannot tell how thick (or thin) the computer actually is.

The overarching, and in my opinion foolish thin at all costs design decision necessitates somewhere to place any electronics thicker than a circuit board, which in turn necessitated a "chin". My vote goes to a thicker design, a minimal chin which has ports facing the front.

Apple, sleek design is great but should not come at the expense of functionality. Design for computer users, not exclusively for MOMA!
Just remember, Apple still consult to Jony Ive even though he's been out from Apple. His LoveFrom design consulting firm (yes, it's in italic) has Apple for their very first client.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
This very website is dark plus I use a Chrome extension called Dark Reader that makes all 'white' websites black. I would never want to use a white bezel machine as I browse. Factor in that white bezels are terrible for watching any type of video (YouTube included) and also that Apple now offers a dark mode option of course in macOS.
This very website is optionally dark based on your system settings (that is, whether you have dark mode enabled) or your manually enabling the dark theme. By default, it is very much white.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
This very website is optionally dark based on your system settings (that is, whether you have dark mode enabled) or your manually enabling the dark theme. By default, it is very much white.
You are right. I forgot that. Point is, I think a lot of people like dark mode and a ton of sites are leaning that way now too. Gonna look really bad with white bezels.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I fully understand that some people appreciate bright, cheery colors and that the new design will certainly appeal to kids. What I don't understand is, given that Apple is willing to have seven different colors, why all but one have to be bright pastels. Wouldn't a perfect compromise have been to have four bright, happy colors and three more 'standard' colors like silver, gray and maybe some kind of tan? That way this new machine could appeal to a much broader spectrum of people, while still offering the "whimsy" of the Easter egg color palette. Then, maybe offer light or dark bezels to appropriately complement the chassis color. I also don't understand the obsession with thinness in a DESKTOP machine. Who cares how thin it is? By adding an extra quarter inch in depth they could have incorporated the power supply internally and provided even better speaker/sound capability.

Yes, there will be a bigger, perhaps more sedate, iMac in the future that might be more conservative in design. I just don't understand why they couldn't have appealed to a broader market with the new 24" version.
Please no tan, the world’s moved on from beige and I don’t want it back.
Some other colors would be appealing though, I agree.

georgivelev

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
Agree with @Framboos_Matroos - it's new design marketed for the mass public - not the pro user.
At these low consumer price points, I can see schools, business users, corporations and government buying up these iMacs in mass quantities.
€1450 - a low consumer price point (Cough!). Some people need to return to planet Earth. Schools, corporations and governments fighting to get one, the demand skyrockets to the moon... not! This iMac can be replaced by a €400 iPad for most of the things people will want to do on it - writing emails, facebook, some documents and presentations, imovies.

Years ago I got an iMac for €1200, the screen had a yellow tint and the guy at the repair-shop said I shouldn’t be paying too much attention because it was not a professional machine. After a month they managed to repair it to what they claimed was an “acceptable level” and told me not to reappear again because they can’t do better. I was CONVINCED €1200 is not serious money for an apple device and I shouldn’t bother if it’s defective.

Those willing to pay €1450 for an entry-level iMac with white bezels and very low storage are a niche elite group with very deep pockets. By the time you configure it with 1TB storage you’re getting at €2100+. Configure it with 16GB RAM and we are already talking €2400.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Please no tan, the world’s moved on from beige and I don’t want it back.
Some other colors would be appealing though, I agree.
Actually an off-white, light peach, bone or sand colored iMac would be really nice.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
I like the new design. I’m buying an orange one on the 30th.

We remodeled some of our interior this year and this would actually go quite nice. The home office has matching orange knoll office chairs, cork paneling walls on one side and deep blue walls on the other. This is going to look great!

I wonder if I can use the iMac as a target display for my work issued HP? I’d love to give my company back their uggo 32” monitor they issued me for pandemic use.

UTS

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I was expecting (the majority no doubt) something that was space grey with narrower bezel and say 50% less chin. Theyre now offering a child like toy at a premium price.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
The new iMac is not for the sort of people who are typically on forums like this. Seriously.

We’ll all have to be patient and wait until the fall.

Until then: if you decide to obsess about something, you’ll obsess about it. Remove it from your thinking and you’ll likely be ok.

tomtad

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2015
because black bezels are neutral and do not distract in any way from the content on the screen

I disagree. Most things displayed on a computer are white pages or "light" content, here the light bezels fade away. Black bezels on the other hand stand out from the content on screen.

Reactions: MJBCA and Silmakhor

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I disagree. Most things displayed on a computer are white pages or "light" content, here the light bezels fade away. Black bezels on the other hand stand out from the content on screen.
It's entirely dependent on how a user uses their machine. I use dark mode on macOS, Dark Reader on Chrome, and I watch a lot of videos on my iMac. For my use case a black bezel is best. I also find my eyes have a much easier time focusing on content when the bezel is black/dark versus white.

Silmakhor

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2021
A few thoughts,

1) No one has actually seen or used one of these machines yet. We only have promotional photos. We don't have the full story yet.

2) Has anyone does serious scientific research on the impact of white vs. black bezels? If so, I would love to see it. If not, it's impossible to make a rigorous claim that one is better than the other for any particular purpose.

3) If you care about the design to an obsessive degree, you will be able, shortly, to buy a custom bezel. If you aren't willing to spend the money on that, but are still obsessed, the issue is that you're getting more gratification out of being obsessed than solving the problem.

4) Anecdotal evidence re: dark mode is fine for expressing a personal preference, but that tells us nothing about whether the white bezel will be seen as a bad choice by the market as a whole.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I'm the opposite, I wish they made a red iMac too - although I'm happy orange is getting some love too!
The one dubbed "pink" is clearly red
1619744719608.png

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm excited to use white bezels. I think it's better for where my computer is set up. Right now, I'm using black bezels, and what I see is a large bright white window, a thick black border, then my bright surroundings. To say black borders blend into the environment is nonsense. The white bezels have always blended in to the background better when in mixed settings, especially settings with natural light. It makes sense for the market the iMac is for. The issue with white is that it can reveal all the messy components that you might not want to see.

Which bezel blends in more?
31234-51969-true-tone-example-l.jpg
reading-the-internet-edition-of-the-washington-post-online-newspaper-EWH60R.jpg

IMG_5263-1024x682.jpg

Last edited:

MJBCA

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2020
I'm excited to use white bezels. I think it's better for where my computer is set up. Right now, I'm using black bezels, and what I see is a large bright white window, a thick black border, then my bright surroundings. To say black borders blend into the environment is nonsense. The white bezels have always blended in to the background better when in mixed settings, especially settings with natural light. It makes sense for the market the iMac is for. The issue with white is that it can reveal all the messy components that you might not want to see.

Which bezel blends in more?
View attachment 1766849 View attachment 1766850

View attachment 1766851
This, a thousand times, THIS!!!
Stop saying “black bezels are universally better”. No, they are not. Period.
It all depends on the context, the content and the surroundings.
Enough of that kind of naive simplification, everyone.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The chin
It contains the six drivers and two pairs of woofers. If it gives me better sound experience, I'll happily accept a chin
The problem I have with the chin is how bare and incomplete it looks. If there are speakers in there, I'd honestly love to see them instead of that blank slab.

1619752512432.png

Mr. Y

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
While everyone is talking about and making mock-ups of the monitor with a black bezel, has anyone done the same with the keyboard and mouse? My point being that black keys and a black mouse top probably did not look all that great on a blue, yellow, green or orange metal keyboard frame or mouse and keeping things uniform, a white bezel on the monitor tied it all together. Maybe… Only Apple’s design team knows for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.