Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Did anyone else notice this change?

The 2016 MBP 15" came with the Intel HD Graphics 530
The 2017 refreshed MBP 15" comes with Intel HD Graphics 630

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Did anyone else notice this change?

The 2016 MBP 15" came with the Intel HD Graphics 530
The 2017 refreshed MBP 15" comes with Intel HD Graphics 630

630 graphics is standard with the Kaby Lake CPU
[doublepost=1496702557][/doublepost]
Just noticed that the 2015 13" rMBP is dead.

Replaced by the lower cost non touch bar 128Gb model...

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
I bought a macbook 15 " 1 month ago ... .will be replaced with a new one due to a problem in the lid closing ( a clik when 45º of closing all). Delivery date between 12 and 14 June. Can the macbook come with the refresh of the katy lake, if there is even refresh on June 5 for this machines. (there is no stock here in Portugal the 15" is 5-7 days to delivery)

Now I have 7 to 10 day and delivery date change to 22 June. Maybe I have luck and send me a Katy. Will see what happens

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
It is looking more likely a new MacBook Pro (Mid 2017) will be launching at WWDC 2017. Users can expect to see the addition of the Intel Kabylake processor. Part of what took so long was due to suitable part not being ready. Now they are and todays launch of a revised Surface Pro (2017) with the 7 th generation Intel processor is another sign it will also be coming to Apple.

We all know Apple has kind of suffered from Intel's technological pain points over the past couple of years. But, according industry analyst, part of this fast update cycle (9 months after the 2016 MacBook Pro with Kabylake), is another sign of Apple's commitment to the Mac.

There is not much else known about the update apart from possible support for up to 32 GBs of RAM (although industry analyst say this is desktop class RAM). With performance and battery life critical to Apple notebooks, it most likely will be low power DDR3.

Computer World has a good synopsis of what to expect:
http://computerworld.com/article/31...s-kaby-lake-macbook-upgrades-coming-soon.html

Bottom line, if you want to get the best bang for your bucks, wait a month or two. Sometimes, announcements doesn't mean same day or next week availability. If you need a Mac now because your current model is too slow, dead or the money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy the 2016, return it before 14 day grace period then get the new model.

Do take into account, if Apple announces these new Kabylake processors at WWDC, they might not be available until the end of June. Thats more than a week without a new computer, if you decide to return it and wait. So, if you can wait or struggle through June with what you, you can save yourself the convenience and have a new MacBook Pro to unbox. Of course, custom models with faster parts (CPU, more RAM, more powerful GPU) will likely push it out to probably a couple months.
So, take these logistics into account when making your purchase. If your work is critical, then, you might have to make the sacrifice and go with the 2016 model and sell it later. Just accept the reality, its gonna be devalued.

Can't say I was too far off, the RAM was a miss though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.