Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I'm fascinated that the MB and MBPNTB are both $1299. I know the MB is lighter but geez. To me that's a no brainer.
Yeah, it really wipes out an incentive to get the rMB to be honest. Yes the rMB is smaller and lighter, but for the same price you can get a laptop with better performance, a bigger screen, Thunderbolt 3, twice the ports...

Reactions: vistokid

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Yeah, it really wipes out an incentive to get the rMB to be honest. Yes the rMB is smaller and lighter, but for the same price you can get a laptop with better performance, a bigger screen, Thunderbolt 3, twice the ports...

I am actually a big supporter of retina Macbook due to its size & weight. I would say that it is very close to my idea of a notebook if not because of the relatively poor technical spec. And with the comparably similar price to a Macbook Pro this year, it doesn't make sense at all to buy a retina Macbook just because of the size+weight.

Reactions: Queen6

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Like I have said many times before, the best way to beat Apple at their own game is to care your current Mac and get as much as you can out of it. I am not looking at another Mac until 2020 or 2021. I am torn between the iPad Pro; I won't be purchasing one for the first time until next year, but I am wondering if I should just get the 2016 9.7? The new one doesn't even seem to have 3D Touch.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Like I have said many times before, the best way to beat Apple at their own game is to care your current Mac and get as much as you can out of it. I am not looking at another Mac until 2020 or 2021. I am torn between the iPad Pro; I won't be purchasing one for the first time until next year, but I am wondering if I should just get the 2016 9.7? The new one doesn't even seem to have 3D Touch.

What year is your current Mac? Just get the 9.7, it's more than powerful enough and bestbuy has deals on it all the time. I got mine for 200 off at bb

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Its farcical. A 'pro' line laptop with 128GB of storage? Please.
I thought Apple started to realize that their customers are going away from them thus dropping the price of macbook pro. And now they are giving 128GB laptop in this 2017. They are really going down sooner or later. A lot of competitors are catching up and offering much better deals.

Reactions: The Mercurian

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
No real price drop on the MacBooks is pretty disappointing. Also, I can't believe they are still selling the 2015 15" for $1999 still.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I thought Apple started to realize that their customers are going away from them thus dropping the price of macbook pro. And now they are giving 128GB laptop in this 2017. They are really going down sooner or later. A lot of competitors are catching up and offering much better deals.

Agreed. I'm going to hold on to my current machine now even though at 3 years I would normally update it. I might get a Dell XPS to run windows or linux alongside it and see if I can tolerate that. At least with the Dell I can buy it low spec and upgrade later.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Agreed. I'm going to hold on to my current machine now even though at 3 years I would normally update it. I might get a Dell XPS to run windows or linux alongside it and see if I can tolerate that. At least with the Dell I can buy it low spec and upgrade later.

I am aiming at Dell Latitude E72xx. 12.5" business workhorse laptop. Going to do install Linux too like yours for my work. Not as sleek or as thin as Macbook but it is light enough and has complete array of ports (even a LAN RJ45 port). Was gonna burn my money and gave Apple a shot with 2017 MBP but well...$200 price drop is too good to be true afterall like my gut instinct told me.

Thanks Apple for keeping my money in my pocket still :)

Reactions: The Mercurian

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
What year is your current Mac? Just get the 9.7, it's more than powerful enough and bestbuy has deals on it all the time. I got mine for 200 off at bb
I have an Early 2015 MBP 13. Are you saying I should go for the 9.7 iPad Pro 2016? Because thats what I am definitely considering.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I am aiming at Dell Latitude E72xx. 12.5" business workhorse laptop. Going to do install Linux too like yours for my work. Not as sleek or as thin as Macbook but it is light enough and has complete array of ports (even a LAN RJ45 port). Was gonna burn my money and gave Apple a shot with 2017 MBP but well...$200 price drop is too good to be true afterall like my gut instinct told me.

Thanks Apple for keeping my money in my pocket still :)

You can actually get an XPS 13" with linux factory installed I believe. But I need quad core so it will be the 15" for me.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
Like I have said many times before, the best way to beat Apple at their own game is to care your current Mac and get as much as you can out of it.

Yes. I have done that. But now, 8.5 year later, I would like a computer that can keep up with my phone, at a price where I can afford an upgrade (in storage space and ram) instead of a downgrade. I would have been happy today with either an updated model (especially terraced battery or promised fix in keyboard) OR a price drop. I feel like I've been prudent and careful. FFS.
[doublepost=1496694845][/doublepost]
...the best way to beat Apple at their own game is to care your current Mac and get as much as you can out of it. I am not looking at another Mac until 2020 or 2021.

- in other words, I hope that when you're ready for your new computer in 2020 or 2021, Apple offers you something that feels like a good, cost effective upgrade. Because it's hard to wait that long and then feel like it's still not the right choice.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Interestingly, the prices on the refurbished 2016s haven't budged.

That's because the retail price points haven't changed on the current models. There's no need to change anything there. Next thing to wait for is a teardown of the 2017 models to see if any substantial engineering changes have been made internally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.