Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The Foxxcon insider was also asked if MagSafe will return and they replied yes and then were asked when. They said it is being tested now so 12-18 months.

So it looks like MagSafe will return using USB-C maybe in 2018 or early 2019 models.
Apple must have realized, one port consistency doesn't necessarily make sense. Would be glad to see it return. The USB C charging is so rigid, unplugging the USB C is like pulling out a engorged tick after several days of feasting.

Reactions: AppleComputer

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I think its becoming more likely we'll see something. While when this thread started there was a definite lack of "chatter" on a new MBP but I think that chatter has become louder and more frequent. We'll see soon enough :)

Its not soon enough - I need to know NOWWWWW dammit :D

Apple must have realized, one port consistency doesn't necessarily make sense. Would be glad to see it return. The USB C charging is so rigid, unplugging the USB C is like pulling out a engorged tick after several days of feasting.
HAHAHAHA - very funny

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I will be ordering the Macbook Pro 15" on Monday (if it's updated to Kaby Lake) there is just no way I can wait 2 more years for Apple to return Magsafe or release a non TB 15". However it will be interesting to see if Apple returns the glowing light and Magsafe to the laptops in the future. It would be like Apple doing a 360°

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Is the assumption the new MacBook pros will keep the gen. 2 Butterly keyboard, or is there any chance they have improved it, especially with many having issues with stuck keys, etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is the assumption the new MacBook pros will keep the gen. 2 Butterly keyboard, or is there any chance they have improved it, especially with many having issues with stuck keys, etc.
My guess would be that they don't mention it but it will be a silent fix. I'm hoping we'll hear about a 2.5 or 3.0 butterfly keyboard but I don't think they'll say anything that could imply the 2016 version had issues.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I think there has been enough chatter of keyboard complaints they will have to do a 2.5 version at least.

I'm wondering myself will they tweak the touchbar. I'd personally like to see a 15" non-touch bar version, but failing that a physical escape key would be nice! I still might defect to Dell though depending on the complete package and price.

Reactions: AppleComputer

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
My guess would be that they don't mention it but it will be a silent fix. I'm hoping we'll hear about a 2.5 or 3.0 butterfly keyboard but I don't think they'll say anything that could imply the 2016 version had issues.

They are not going to give any suggestion the previous keys were not great. Phil will just say, its even better.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I think there has been enough chatter of keyboard complaints they will have to do a 2.5 version at least.

I'm wondering myself will they tweak the touchbar. I'd personally like to see a 15" non-touch bar version, but failing that a physical escape key would be nice! I still might defect to Dell though depending on the complete package and price.

When I switched from a Mid 2015 13" Pro to a nTB 13" Pro I liked the key stability of the newer model better but I had to adjust how I typed on the keyboard. When I went from the 13" nTB to a Mid 2015 15" model it was weird going back to the old keyboard at first but I can tell that I type on this keyboard better than the new models. The lack of key travel on the new keyboard is very apparent when you switch between the two.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I will be ordering the Macbook Pro 15" on Monday (if it's updated to Kaby Lake) there is just no way I can wait 2 more years for Apple to return Magsafe or release a non TB 15". However it will be interesting to see if Apple returns the glowing light and Magsafe to the laptops in the future. It would be like Apple doing a 360°

Yes because that is what we want in a laptop. Lets not worry about 32GB of RAM or anything. If it doesn't;t have MagSafe, THAT is the issue here. Seriously guys. I have pets, I use my laptop in conference rooms. All you need to do is properly secure the cable and not cause a tripping hazard to begin with.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Yes because that is what we want in a laptop. Lets not worry about 32GB of RAM or anything. If it doesn't;t have MagSafe, THAT is the issue here. Seriously guys. I have pets, I use my laptop in conference rooms. All you need to do is properly secure the cable and not cause a tripping hazard to begin with.
If you are using it in a conference, with 10 to 12 hours of battery life, you should be able to get through that meeting or presentation without carrying the charger.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
If you are using it in a conference, with 10 to 12 hours of battery life, you should be able to get through that meeting or presentation without carrying the charger.

It's still sad how apple in all these years can still make the battery only last 10 hours. But hopefully we get new colors. I want a rose gold mbp silver and space gray are meh.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

That is true. I had to render some videos in the middle of the meeting so they could see the result so battery life was a bit of an issue.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I noticed you can still access the tech specs in the Apple Store for the MBP 15" you can't order but the specs are still there. Has anyone noticed if they changed any of the tech specs?

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
jesus christ. its not a phone.

The macbook line has the different colors and it's only 1200-1500. Why can't the mbp line (where I'm waiting to drop 4.7k on my mbp) have those same colors? And my 09(with an "incompatible" Sierra) lasts 10 hours...you're telling me in almost a decade they couldn't make the battery better?

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
The macbook line has the different colors and it's only 1200-1500. Why can't the mbp line (where I'm waiting to drop 4.7k on my mbp) have those same colors? And my 09(with an "incompatible" Sierra) lasts 10 hours...you're telling me in almost a decade they couldn't make the battery better?

I'm waiting for radioactive diamond batteries.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
I wonder if the NTBPro and TBPro now have a wider gap in specs as there's a $500 diff now.

Uh ... yeah. Already there were enough people asking if the touch bar was worth the $300 premium, and the general answer was "no, not for the touch bar, but maybe for the spec difference, maybe." Now the answer about whether it's worth the $500 premium will probably be no.

Especially when the model cheaper by $500 has a significantly stronger battery?

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Uh ... yeah. Already there were enough people asking if the touch bar was worth the $300 premium, and the general answer was "no, not for the touch bar, but maybe for the spec difference, maybe." Now the answer about whether it's worth the $500 premium will probably be no.

Especially when the model cheaper by $500 has a significantly stronger battery?

I'm fascinated that the MB and MBPNTB are both $1299. I know the MB is lighter but geez. To me that's a no brainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.