Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Quote from the article. Samsung LTE chip is the top dog, following by Qualcomm. but real world usage impact is minimal.

"....When coverage gets weak or spotty, however, Qualcomm managed to pull ahead with about a 30% better performance on average, compared to the Intel version of the iPhone 7 Plus. Oh well, that's not going to affect your real world usage too much, but it shows that Intel still has some catching up to do with Qualcomm's cellular modem designs. Another interesting fact is that it was actually the Galaxy S7 edge, of all the phones tested, that pulled way ahead of all designs, and this one has Samsung's in-house Shannon LTE modem chip..."

Reactions: airjay75

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
The question is which one you have. But if course since this is MR, everyone will try to piss on your parade with non relevant answers.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
upload_2016-10-21_10-56-15.png

Reactions: redbeard331

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Did they test with 10.1 Beta? There has been a couple of new modem fw updates on the Betas.

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Did they test with 10.1 Beta? There has been a couple of new modem fw updates on the Betas.

It sounds like they tested with 10.0.3. But, your point about firmware updates is a good one. It is entirely possible that future firmware updates to the Intel modem will narrow or eliminate whatever speed differences have been found in this test. Qualcomm has had much more time to perfect their firmware than Intel has. But, even if a small difference in speeds remain between the two modems, we are still talking about something that will have virtually no effect on every day, real world usage for almost everybody.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Apple has used 2 different LTE modems for the iPhone 7.

1) Qualcomm
2) Intel

The Qualcomm modem is a bit faster.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/10/...e.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/20/iphone-7-plus-qualcomm-modem-bests-intel-modem/

My iPhone 7 Plus 256 Jet Black has the Qualcomm modem (A1661).

How about yours?

Why does it matter. We do not need ANOTHER thread of mine is better than yours or I have the worst phone in the world. All phones have modems, its that simple.

This thread serves no purpose. Should be locked.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Why does it matter. We do not need ANOTHER thread of mine is better than yours or I have the worst phone in the world. All phones have modems, its that simple.

This thread serves no purpose. Should be locked.

Those are not reasons to lock it, a good valid reason is that this is easily answered by knowing your carrier. This isn't a CPU debate where any device could hold any CPU... it is clearly stated which model carries what.

Reactions: ABC5S

medenblik

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2014
Well it is flawed logic. All att modems are intel and all verizon have Qualcomm

If they were Qualcomm modems in att then I could see some have slower

But it all depends on the carrier

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Is there any way to see which model you have other than reading the text on the back? On the JB it's not legible without a magnifier for me.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I'm not at all sure the Qualcomm chip is faster and more reliable. The test at http://cellularinsights.com/iphone7/ (using 10.0.3) was done after the 10.0.3 update that came out specifically to resolve Verison (Qualcomm) connectivity issues. That update resolved slow speeds and connectivity problems. There are quotes that state that similar issues with ATT/Tmobile (Intel) phones were not addressed but will be addressed in the upcoming 10.1 update.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/10/18/apple-ios-10-0-3-should-you-upgrade/#7f3e9a9d65da

Quote: "The bad news is cellular connectivity problems are spread across multiple iPhone models and carriers and iOS 10.0.3 appears to only work well for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus on Verizon. Owners of iPads, iPod touches and older iPhones can ignore iOS 10.0.3 as well since it won’t even show up for your devices."

The update could equalize the modems.

DeSlaye

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Would this modem difference have any impact on international roaming?

My dad is using his 7 Plus (T-Mobile version) overseas in India and is unable to obtain service for more than 15 mins, at which point it displays "No Service" and needs the network settings reset every single time for it to work again for the next 15 mins.

His backup phone, an iPhone 6, is maintaining signal perfectly.
In countries with CDMA networks like Japan, China, and the US? Definitely.
[doublepost=1477097000][/doublepost]
I have T Mobile. Does that mean I have Intel?
If you bought it from them, yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.