Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
not hard to believe at all. consider that Intel modem does not have deal with legacy CDMA and less complex switching logic to deal with daily.

What are you talking about? I'm going back to just the fundamentals of testing. If you want to make the argument that the Intel-based iPhone is better in terms of battery life over the Qualcomm one, give a standardized testing field - same usage, same apps, same amounts of time dedicated to apps, calls, etc. Your inferring of CDMA does nothing to help his argument, and makes the situation more convoluted.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
When had the matte blk plus 128gb tmo intel i had fantastic battery life. I was just amazed. Swapped it for a sim free jet blk 128gb qualcomm and my battery life is just as par with the 6s plus i had. (Not so good)!

Are you going to buy another Intel version then?

Is that what prompted the exchange or something else

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Sim-free does not require to activate a carrier (paid full price or Apple finance program). I just bought sim-free JB 256gb yesterday thru Apple/Barclays finance. Took all 5 mins, in fact waiting for the next avail rep took longer. Ordered on Apple online reservation/finance not the istocknow.

If you are talking Barclays then I assume you are in the U.K. where all iPhones are Intel no matter what. You probably already know this but just thought I would mention it.

runner1971

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
If you are talking Barclays then I assume you are in the U.K. where all iPhones are Intel no matter what. You probably already know this but just thought I would mention it.

I'm not in U.K. You can apply for Barclaycard right off the Apple webpage. If you scroll down bottom of the page under "Apple Store-Financing" Here's my device info.
A1661:A1785:A1786.PNG

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
As somebody who scoffed at chipgate, and who kept the samsung iPhone and didn't ask for a replacement... I'm going to ask them to replace my A1778 128GB iPhone 7. It is substantially inferior to my iPhone 6S in terms of reception I get in hermosa beach, especially west of PCH. Where I used to get LTE, I now get a couple bars of EDGE or no reception at all. It's night and day, I can't believe more people aren't having this issue. I guess they either live right beside the tower or never have reception anyway.

Reactions: blackberrycubed

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
As somebody who scoffed at chipgate, and who kept the samsung iPhone and didn't ask for a replacement... I'm going to ask them to replace my A1778 128GB iPhone 7. It is substantially inferior to my iPhone 6S in terms of reception I get in hermosa beach, especially west of PCH. Where I used to get LTE, I now get a couple bars of EDGE or no reception at all. It's night and day, I can't believe more people aren't having this issue. I guess they either live right beside the tower or never have reception anyway.
There are numerous people reporting faster speeds or no difference. For you to make a generalized statement that people dont have reception is absurd. Get a new phone and I am sure you will report back how great it is with a non Intel modem.

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012

Sounds like you got a defective phone. My house is in an area with weak coverage (less than -100 db). I am seeing better performance from my A1778. I hope the new phone solves your problem.

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
comparison.jpg
Sounds like you got a defective phone. My house is in an area with weak coverage (less than -100 db). I am seeing better performance from my A1778. I hope the new phone solves your problem.
Perhaps it is defective, but from what I've seen and heard from other people with this phone it appears to have something to do with the intel modem.

>I am seeing better performance from my A1778

Are you actually testing performance in areas with low reception to begin with? I live in an area with lots of steep hills adjacent the beach, reception had just become tolerable on my 6S when I got this phone. Now I barely get any reception at all in many places where reception was fine. But, performance? In terms of performance, it wouldn't be evident at all unless i was in a couple specific areas. Otherwise the phone is faster than my 6s, just not in LTE speeds.

I think you are imagining things, or just not understanding what LTE performance (reception) refers to. There is already ample documentation showing that the iPhone 6S outperforms the XMM7360 in the iPhone 7.

http://cellularinsights.com/iphone7/
[doublepost=1477193557][/doublepost]
There are numerous people reporting faster speeds or no difference. For you to make a generalized statement that people dont have reception is absurd. Get a new phone and I am sure you will report back how great it is with a non Intel modem.
Hmm, odd that there are already tests showing that these fictional stories are bogus. But by all means, don't read them.... instead why don't you rant about... not even sure what you're saying there?

Yes, I will get a new phone... and if it works better I will tell everyone about it!

Last edited:

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
So the general concensous is.. 1661 has better speed and reception but the 1778 has better battery??

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Perhaps it is defective, but from what I've seen and heard from other people with this phone it appears to have something to do with the intel modem.

>I am seeing better performance from my A1778

Are you actually testing performance in areas with low reception to begin with? I live in an area with lots of steep hills adjacent the beach, reception had just become tolerable on my 6S when I got this phone. Now I barely get any reception at all in many places where reception was fine. But, performance? In terms of performance, it wouldn't be evident at all unless i was in a couple specific areas. Otherwise the phone is faster than my 6s, just not in LTE speeds.

I think you are imagining things, or just not understanding what LTE performance (reception) refers to. There is already ample documentation showing that the iPhone 6S outperforms the XMM7360 in the iPhone 7.

http://cellularinsights.com/iphone7/
[doublepost=1477193557][/doublepost]
Hmm, odd that there are already tests showing that these fictional stories are bogus. But by all means, don't read them.... instead why don't you rant about... not even sure what you're saying there?

Yes, I will get a new phone... and if it works better I will tell everyone about it!
Yes, just like there were tests with the chips last year. But yes, myself and others are imagining increased performance.

Where I work the 6s would get 4g or E, now I get LTE. But your right, I am just imagining the LTE symbol and being able to use the phone.

Just really tired of the "you are stupid or dumb" crap if someone does not have the same problem as you.

Have a great and wonderful day......

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
comparison.jpg
Yes, just like there were tests with the chips last year. But yes, myself and others are imagining increased performance.

Where I work the 6s would get 4g or E, now I get LTE. But your right, I am just imagining the LTE symbol and being able to use the phone.

Just really tired of the "you are stupid or dumb" crap if someone does not have the same problem as you.

Have a great and wonderful day......
Read the graphs. Do you understand graphs? X/Y Axis?

The test for the chipgate gave a difference of 0-3%. In real world performance. These tests show the difference can be huge (100+% difference in bandwidth at lower dB).

Maybe you can understand that you might "feel" like you have better reception, but somebody else might have done actual tests that prove otherwise?

Last edited:

Rcracerg911

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Upgrades to the towers exhibit such symptoms as well. I experienced the same thing , except it was with the 6s plus. Might just be coincidental you've got the new phone and they're beginning to work on towers now.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
comparison.jpg

Read the graphs. Do you understand graphs? X/Y Axis?

Maybe you can understand that you might "feel" like you have better reception, but somebody else might have done actual tests that prove otherwise? Lol.
There is no point in arguing with you. you are right and we are wrong. Typical attitude of ""

Enjoy your new phone.

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Certainly
No, you won't listen to evidence. Yes, there is no study supporting what numerous members are reporting, but it is still evidence.

I have no idea if that test was accurate. Was it, sure. Did they have a motive behind the test, probably not but who knows.

All I know the evidence supports a stronger LTE signal for me and several members of this forum. Perhaps you got a bad phone. Perhaps LTE does suck for you in your area.

But for you to say or imply that I am stupid by imaging an increase in performance does not help anyone. Why would anyone lie. I can still return it, just like you. But it works better than my 6s.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Some of the issues that appear to show no reception on LTE rather than just slower speeds may be ongoing issues with LTE band switching; some of it fixed in 10.0.3, some in the Beta and perhaps some still to be fixed.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
This test was done in a lab. what really matter is real-world usage.

what is the consensus here? do we have many people complaining that their iphone 7 get worse signal than their previous iphone 6/6s?

I don't see any big threads at all about iphone 7 signal being worse than 6/6s, beside Verizon signal switching issue. otherwise, we would have had signal gate.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I noticed my t mobile iPhone 7 with the intel modem gets one less bar of LTE in my house as opposed to my iPhone se. When I turned LTE off though I got 3 bars of hspa +. That might just be a work around for some.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
My best result so far on Intel modem is: 150/30Mbps down/up on -68Dbm where my mobile service provider is limited to 150/51Mbps, band 3, band 7.

There are problems though:

1) You go few steps forward or backward from the spot and download/upload rates change dramatically - 1/2 or even more.

2) Sometimes you get very different results at same Dbm.

3) Sometimes you get faster speeds @ -90Dbm and lower @ -70Dbm

4) Bars seem to be a bit crazy. You cannot predict whether @ some specific Dbm you will get 3, 4 or 5 bars.

5) Generallly uplink seems to be slower when side by side compared to, for example, iPhone SE. Same location - SE gets 15Mbps, i7+ gets 7Mbps. My 6s seemed to get better owerall upload speeds as far as I remember.

iPhone7+@10.1(B5), Latvia, LMT (carrier).

1) http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1828760116

2) http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1828760936

3) http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1828757580

Last edited:

Elkaram

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016
Definitely not idintecal usage of both devices but it's experinace over 30 days I.e somedays I use one over another and vis Veras but 17xx intel always holding extra juice & as I mintioned before both on 4G as we don't have CDMA!
[doublepost=1477209743][/doublepost]
That's good to know for the 1784 (intel chip - att/Tmo in US) camp woo

Have you noticed difference in reception or performance? And did you buy both to experiment ?
I haven't face any Reciption issues with any , it's by chance I got 2 different models from different sources
[doublepost=1477209851][/doublepost]
Sorry, I find this hard to believe.

You need to be:

1) Using these phones at the same time, same place throughout the day
2) Have the same apps downloaded onto your phones
3) Have the same apps in the background, while using the apps in the same way
4) Take calls, text messages for the same amount of time
Definitely need not idintecal usage of both devices but it's experinace over 30 days I.e somedays I use one over another and vis Veras but 17xx intel always holding extra juice & as I mintioned before both on 4G as we don't have CDMA
[doublepost=1477210568][/doublepost]What I feel that who ever owns 16xx wants to hear the good only and who ever owns 17Xx wants to hear the postive only , I can confirm one thing apple ain't that stupid to make such big mistake providing huge differences between same model , what we talking about here is simple where I come from we don't use or have CDMA that's why in our region is 17xx for i7 and i7p is the official modle where the 16xx being sold in the gray market ! Well my conclusion is simple network is identica proformanc ,battery life might be better on 17xx due to our network , maybe if I'm using the both phones in different country I will end up with different results !

Last edited:

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
So the general concensous is.. 1661 has better speed and reception but the 1778 has better battery??
Its really that nobody knows anything. If there is a difference it is probably negligible for most people. Even the cellularinsights tests are very controlled and in a specific environment

Intel maybe better for some qc for others.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
As far as battery life is concerned, which way to go? I am about to purchase one and my primary concern is battery life and I don't know which version to get. Any help would be much appreciated.

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
As far as battery life is concerned, which way to go? I am about to purchase one and my primary concern is battery life and I don't know which version to get. Any help would be much appreciated.

No one has tested that. We only have anecdotal evidence (at best). If you're paying full price and buying unlocked, I'd personally go with the Qualcomm version. If you prefer to finance through AT&T or T-Mobile, go with the Intel version as that's what they will give you. The differences between these two models will likely make no noticeable difference in your day to day usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.