Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Sounds like apple has restricted all of the advanced features of the qualcom chipset anyway. I am sure these will be available in next years iphone instead. Had they not, the 4x4 mimo would be amazing on T-Mobile and other international carriers.

Are you sure about this? I thought I read from Tmobile that the Samsung S7 Edge (which I was using prior to moving to iPhone7 Plus) now has 4x4 mimo support after the last software update and the support was coming to iphone7. Hmm they just mention more phones will be added soon but the PcMag article seems to mention no 4x4 mimo for Tmobile iphone this is no good!

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/lte-advanced.htm

http://www.pcmag.com/news/347729/will-iphone-7-support-t-mobiles-new-400mbps-network

Why Apple didn't use this chip instead? Seems like the ideal chip...

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/platform-briefs/xmm-7480-brief.pdf

-Mike

Last edited:

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I had the ATT iPhone 7 plus with the Intel chip for a week before returning it
for the Verizon Qualcomm version. This is on the ATT network.Both full price unlocked.
My observations:

Verizon (Qualcomm) version definitely has better battery life (consistently 5-10%)

Verizon (Qualcomm) version has better reception without a doubt, where I was dropping calls with the Intel the Qualcomm never disconnected. At home in my office I get 3 bars on the Qualcomm vs 2 on the Intel

The above is from 1 week use with each phone. Let's also remember the resale value and overseas travel options
are much better with the Verizon model.

CC

Not sure what you mean by travel options are better with Verizon model as 99% of the World uses GSM not CDMA.

-Mike

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Not sure what you mean by travel options are better with Verizon model as 99% of the World uses GSM not CDMA.

-Mike

Not to mention CDMA is only the fallback frequency as everyone is on LTE already. It's like falling back to GPRS.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Okay, so I spent around 5 hours with the phone. It really does have horrible hissing noise that is evident through video playback. Also, I noticed this:

I was in a room with two of my friends - both had the 7 plus (I think one uses 32GB, the other 256GB), and they're both Verizon. 4-5 bars, LTE, everything looks good. I'm using my 7 plus with T Mobile, and for some reason, I had originally already had horrible signal here (6 plus and Edge 6 gave me 2 bars at most). But now with this phone, I'm getting nothing.

I'm already planning to get a replacement and live with whatever I get for my next phone in terms of the hissing noise. Do you guys think I can maybe get a SIM-free iPhone? That room was in my workplace, and granted it's not where I go every day, but it's disappointing to say the least.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I bought this phone through Apple's monthly payment plan - I first asked if I could get the SIM-free card based on these reports, but was told I couldn't get any phone other than the one I used for my carrier.

mjb59463

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2012
In countries with CDMA networks like Japan, China, and the US? Definitely.
[doublepost=1477097000][/doublepost]
If you bought it from them, yes.

It's mostly GSM networks over there. The phone was purchased under the IUP from the Apple Store.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Yeah, I realized that shortly after typing the question. Duh...has to be Qualcomm, otherwise it wouldn't work on VZW and other CDMA networks.

It highlights a point though. Sim free phones sold in Europe are intel not Qualcomm. There are no Qualcomm handsets in Europe.

Elkaram

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016
From real life experience as I own both models 1661 jet and 1784 gold both 128 GB after a month I can confirm that 1784 giving me 10-15% better battery life !

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Wait, elkaram, you've been using them simultaneously in the same environments?

Edit: and both are on the same network?

Last edited:

Elkaram

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016
Wait, elkaram, you've been using them simultaneously in the same environments?

Edit: and both are on the same network?
Yup 100% same network on 4G all the time and this question always in my mind witch model is better so I was so fair using both the same but always 1784 wins by mile NOTE : we don't have CDMA in UAE j

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yup 100% same network on 4G all the time and this question always in my mind witch model is better so I was so fair using both the same but always 1784 wins by mile NOTE : we don't have CDMA in UAE j

That's good to know for the 1784 (intel chip - att/Tmo in US) camp woo

Have you noticed difference in reception or performance? And did you buy both to experiment ?

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
From real life experience as I own both models 1661 jet and 1784 gold both 128 GB after a month I can confirm that 1784 giving me 10-15% better battery life !

Sorry, I find this hard to believe.

You need to be:

1) Using these phones at the same time, same place throughout the day
2) Have the same apps downloaded onto your phones
3) Have the same apps in the background, while using the apps in the same way
4) Take calls, text messages for the same amount of time

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas

You need to be:

Why is that. Because the Intel modem might give better battery life and all the I have a better modem people will be silenced?
[doublepost=1477151252][/doublepost]So for comparison at work WHILE on break or lunch I play Clash of Clans. Don't judge.

iPhone 6s had to be in the window or it would drop or lag.

iPhone 7 I can play at my desk. Zero lag. And the battery lasts longer.

I have the Intel phone.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
The evidence is definitely self reported anecdotal sample size of 1's perception, but it's not too hard to turn this into a theory.

If one modem works harder it could maybe require a bit more juice. Maybe the intel slower speeds at less than ideal reception is more of a battery sipper than the QC? Just talking out loud. Who knows.

When I get home on Wednesday I'm going to do my own intel 7 vs Qualcomm 6s speed test in my living room where I don't get super amazing service. I'll run them several times and compare my averages.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
The evidence is definitely self reported anecdotal sample size of 1's perception, but it's not too hard to turn this into a theory.

If one modem works harder it could maybe require a bit more juice. Maybe the intel slower speeds at less than ideal reception is more of a battery sipper than the QC? Just talking out loud. Who knows.

When I get home on Wednesday I'm going to do my own intel 7 vs Qualcomm 6s speed test in my living room where I don't get super amazing service. I'll run them several times and compare my averages.
The early reports are the Intel is getting better battery life. I am going 2 days before charging.

Rcracerg911

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
My theory is that the intel modem may be actually connected to a different band than the 6s / plus may be, and therefore showing a differnce. We can't actually see the field test data to confirm which band the intel is on, so it possible to conclude intel isn't on the same band and why were seeing these results. AT&t has several bands deployed, and even identical devices sometimes take a while to connect to the same band, in the exact same locations; or may stay on different bands until the device thinks its time to switch. In my area i have band 2, which the 6s plus favored band 12 and 17, band 4 and band 30. Recently noticed my unite explore is connecting to band 30, where as it preferred band 2 before. speed test are showing the pings to be a lot higher than before, and the 7 Plus shows almost the exact same speeds and ping times. When unite explore connects to band 2, similar pings, and speeds on the 7 Plus. I'm almost comparing signal values, as they change going from band 12/17 to band 2 or 30.
I know the guys testing the modems did so in a controlled environment with controlled frequency bands, but this is just what I have found out doing my own testing.

Last edited:

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014

You need to be:

not hard to believe at all. consider that Intel modem does not have deal with legacy CDMA and less complex switching logic to deal with daily.

Reactions: Elkaram

runner1971

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
Okay, so I spent around 5 hours with the phone. It really does have horrible hissing noise that is evident through video playback. Also, I noticed this:

I was in a room with two of my friends - both had the 7 plus (I think one uses 32GB, the other 256GB), and they're both Verizon. 4-5 bars, LTE, everything looks good. I'm using my 7 plus with T Mobile, and for some reason, I had originally already had horrible signal here (6 plus and Edge 6 gave me 2 bars at most). But now with this phone, I'm getting nothing.

I'm already planning to get a replacement and live with whatever I get for my next phone in terms of the hissing noise. Do you guys think I can maybe get a SIM-free iPhone? That room was in my workplace, and granted it's not where I go every day, but it's disappointing to say the least.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I bought this phone through Apple's monthly payment plan - I first asked if I could get the SIM-free card based on these reports, but was told I couldn't get any phone other than the one I used for my carrier.

Sim-free does not require to activate a carrier (paid full price or Apple finance program). I just bought sim-free JB 256gb yesterday thru Apple/Barclays finance. Took all 5 mins, in fact waiting for the next avail rep took longer. Ordered on Apple online reservation/finance not the istocknow.

taker888

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
When had the matte blk plus 128gb tmo intel i had fantastic battery life. I was just amazed. Swapped it for a sim free jet blk 128gb qualcomm and my battery life is just as par with the 6s plus i had. (Not so good)!

Reactions: Thor_1

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Quote from the article. Samsung LTE chip is the top dog, following by Qualcomm. ......
interesting fact is that it was actually the Galaxy S7 edge, of all the phones tested, that pulled way ahead of all designs, and this one has Samsung's in-house Shannon LTE modem chip..."

Not sure which article you're quoting, but we never wrote that. The modem found in the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is the Qualcomm X12 integrated into the Snapdragon 820 SoC, not the Shannon/Exynos. Samsung implemented 4 receive antennas into the design, which allows for 4x4 MIMO, and helps with receive diversity in edge of cell situations. We've written about it here: http://cellularinsights.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-the-first-4x4-mimo-smartphone/

MDM9645M found in the iPhone 7 A1661 is basically the discrete version of X12 modem, implemented without 4 Rx antennas, 256QAM and a few other features disabled.

Reactions: akdj

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Why is that. Because the Intel modem might give better battery life and all the I have a better modem people will be silenced?

not hard to believe at all. consider that Intel modem does not have deal with legacy CDMA and less complex switching logic to deal with daily.

I think the point he was trying to make is that unless both phones were used in the same locations with the same apps and for the same amounts of time, it isn't a valid comparison and you can't draw any conclusions based on the data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.