Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PixelsForBreakfast

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
Sunnyvale, CA
Hopefully out for the Mac soon......
I became impatient and did something somewhat risky, but was ultimately successful. I downloaded the Firmware Update tool for Windows and ran it on a virtual machine to extract the U3224KB_M2T106_20240322.upg file. Then I changed the Firmware Updater.cfg on the Mac Firmware Update Utility to point to the M2T106 file instead of the M2T105 file, and ran it. Everything went smoothly - I'll let you know if there are any noticeable changes.
fwupdate.png

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
I became impatient and did something somewhat risky, but was ultimately successful. I downloaded the Firmware Update tool for Windows and ran it on a virtual machine to extract the U3224KB_M2T106_20240322.upg file. Then I changed the Firmware Updater.cfg on the Mac Firmware Update Utility to point to the M2T106 file instead of the M2T105 file, and ran it. Everything went smoothly - I'll let you know if there are any noticeable changes.
View attachment 2367536
I can confirm it works. I didn't have problems with the monitor before, and after update, it continues working for me.

Reactions: chars1ub0w

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Just to clarify, you don't really need to manually change the Updater.cfg in Dell's update tool. After started the last Firmware update tool by running `Dell_U3224KB_FWUpdate_M2T105_Mac.pkg`, you can just click the `Browse` button and choose the `U3224KB_M2T106_20240322.upg` you just obtained from the Windows firmware update tool.

For me, I just run the tool in VM Fusion which is already installed on my MBP 16" with M1 Pro. You can of course use any virtualization software. After running the tool, you can find the firmware update file under:

1712869496581.png

Just copy it over to your Mac.

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Hi,

I wonder what's the wakeup time for your Dell 6K on an Apple Silicon Mac. My non-Apple monitors on intel Mac all have wakeup time of about 10 sec. But my iMac Pro wakes up almost immediately.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Hi,

I wonder what's the wakeup time for your Dell 6K on an Apple Silicon Mac. My non-Apple monitors on intel Mac all have wakeup time of about 10 sec. But my iMac Pro wakes up almost immediately.
Nowhere close to 10 seconds. From Stand-by Mode - it's less than 3 seconds IMO. And only slightly slower than the ASDs I have next to it. (All attached via TB4 to M1M Studio)

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Nowhere close to 10 seconds. From Stand-by Mode - it's less than 3 seconds IMO. And only slightly slower than the ASDs I have next to it. (All attached via TB4 to M1M Studio)

My experience is the same as this, and I say 3 seconds is on the high side. I'm connected via TB4 to a M2 Pro Mini.

Frankly, I don't notice the wake-up time, and it doesn't seem to be any longer than when I open the lid on my M1 MBA. I visit my mom, and she has an older 2018 Mac Mini connected to the ancient Apple 27-inch Cinema Display via mini DisplayPort, and it doesn't seem any shorter than waking up the Dell 6K on my M2 Pro Mini.

I used to have a Dell 5K UP2715K -- connected via two DisplayPort cables -- and it would definitely take 10 seconds, if not more. I got used to as soon as I entered my office of jiggling the mouse, and then sitting down, getting situated, etc., such that by the time I was ready to work the monitor would finally turn on.

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
That's sounds great. I kind of wonder why my current monitor is slow. I use it with intel MacBookPro with lid covered through a TB3 hub and HDMI.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
That's sounds great. I kind of wonder why my current monitor is slow. I use it with intel MacBookPro with lid covered through a TB3 hub and HDMI.
There are two different kinds of wake up time for me. If I lock the laptop and come back in less an hour, the wake up time is almost non-existent. The screen turns back on in less a second. But if the laptop is in deep sleep (after an hour), and the monitor is also in a similar state, it's much slower. I counted and it was about 8 seconds.

Depending on your Mac's configuration and power settings, the experience might be different. I have a MBP 16" with M1 Pro and always use it in clamshell mode. It connects with the monitor with a TB4 cable.

Udy7000

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
Hi! I'd bought the monitor as new and had the (un)expected experience. It had been opened and cleaned up, as if it had been in use before. I only saw the smudges when I pointed a flashlight at it. Of course I got in touch with the seller (which is officially listed on dell's Romanian site) and they offered to initiate a return and replace process. While I'm waiting, can you please let me know if the monitor has a protective film when new?

Last edited:

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Hi! I'd bought the monitor as new and had the (un)expected experience. It had been opened and cleaned up, as if it had been in use before. I only saw the smudges when I pointed a flashlight at it. Of course I got in touch with the seller (which is officially listed on dell's Romanian site) and they offered to initiate a return and replace process. While I'm waiting, can you please let me know if the monitor has a protective film when new?
All Dell monitors should come with a plastic film on the LCD panel to protect the panel from being scratched. That's based on my experience over quite a few different models over the years.

Udy7000

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
All Dell monitors should come with a plastic film on the LCD panel to protect the panel from being scratched. That's based on my experience over quite a few different models over the years.
Is it a film which you have to peel off of the entire screen, or is it just a plastic sheet fixed to the monitor laterally, with 2 pieces of adhesive tapes? This monitor they sent had the latter.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Is it a film which you have to peel off of the entire screen, or is it just a plastic sheet fixed to the monitor laterally, with 2 pieces of adhesive tapes? This monitor they sent had the latter.
It's not really a film. More like this after unwrap.

1715022220906.png

Reactions: tstafford

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
Another advantage of glossy screens is that they usually have a glass surface and, unless you use sandpaper, a glossy surface is simply more robust!

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Has anyone had any issues with the camera ceasing to work? Ive recently rebuilt my Mac Mini M2 Pro and it does not detect the camera at all. Plus on occasion the camera seems to make a ticking noise as if it is trying to turn on but failing.
A factory reset of the monitor seems not to make any difference.

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I received an email from Dell this morning letting me know my data was accessed in a breach. Lovely.

Thyme

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2023
Yeah it's a mess. Kind of works, kind of doesn't. If I futz with it, I can get HDR at 60hz. But it's flaky and not worth messing with IMO.
Just upgraded to macOS 14.5, and sadly, the HDR option is still missing when using 60Hz over HDMI on my M2 Pro Mac Mini. The HDR option is there at 60Hz when using Thunderbolt, but I'm not sure if it's still flakey. I've only been using 14.5 for a few minutes!

Reactions: turbineseaplane

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Has anyone had any issues with the monitor and FaceTime? It used to work (i.e. the camera shows) but since I've rebuilt my Mac Mini Pro 2 I get the message "No Camera Available. To use FaceTime, connect a camera."

I'm connected to the monitor via a TB4 (certified) lead. If I connect a secondary USB-C lead then FaceTime sees the camera. But.... if I do that then the glowing touch controls (bottom left of the monitor bezel) turn on 100% of the time.

I'm also seeing that when I go into the monitors UX control system and look to move through the vertical menu elements when I move the joystick up / down it jumps two entries not just one, so some configuration options I'm unable to select.

I've done a factory reset on the monitor twice and it doesn't make any difference.

The monitor is fully up to sage with reference to firmware and the DDPM software. The Mac is running Sonoma 14.5 as of last night.

The questions therefore are:
  • Is anyone seeing any similar issues with FaceTime?
  • Should I be connecting via a different method than TB4? If so, what?
  • Is anyone seeing that control UX jump issue?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I hardly use FaceTime but it annoys me having the camera issue.

Thyme

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2023
I'm also seeing that when I go into the monitors UX control system and look to move through the vertical menu elements when I move the joystick up / down it jumps two entries not just one, so some configuration options I'm unable to select.
I had this problem with monitor's OSD when I first purchased my U3224KB. For me, the joystick would usually jump two entries, but with lots of patience, I could usually coax it to just go to the next entry. Due to this issue and some other problems I experienced, Dell sent me a replacement monitor in the first week, and all the Dell hardware has been fine ever since (macOS on the other hand...). In my case, I think the problems were caused by rough shipping or I received someone else's return because the box of the first monitor arrived very banged up and the tape to seal it up was also broken. The box of the replacement monitor arrived in pristine condition and sealed.

I haven't had the other problems you've listed.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Thanks for that. How painful was the process of contacting Dell and organising the return? I hope they send out a replacement before the faulty monitor has to be returned. How did the return process work, do they send out a carrier to collect?
I'm dreading packaging the monitor up, I had enough issues getting it out of the box and assembling it!

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Thanks for that. How painful was the process of contacting Dell and organising the return? I hope they send out a replacement before the faulty monitor has to be returned. How did the return process work, do they send out a carrier to collect?
I'm dreading packaging the monitor up, I had enough issues getting it out of the box and assembling it!
I had to exchange mine. The process was largely pretty smooth. They had a little trouble getting the shipment out, but once they did it was simple. I got a replacement, put mine in that box, affixed the included return label and dropped it at the UPS Store.

Thyme

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2023
Very easy. I called Dell support and had zero hold time, but I had to go through some standard troubleshooting steps with the tech agent before they agreed to send me a new monitor. They also gave me a free label to ship the original monitor back to Dell.

As for packing/unpacking, well, you already know the difficulty of that.

Thyme

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2023
Potentially helpful tip for any Dell users here experiencing unusually high RAM usage:

• Try uninstalling DDPM (Dell Display and Peripheral Manager) if you are using it. It apparently has some sort of memory leak.
With macOS Sonoma, over several days, the memory pressure on my Mini would gradually increase until it got into the red zone consistently, and things became very sluggish. I'd have to restart a ton of apps or often the whole computer. Oddly, it wasn't at all obvious that DDPM was causing this behavior when looking in Activity Monitor. It just looked like each thing was using a moderate amount of memory. As a result, it took me a long while to realize DDPM was the problem. Uninstalling DDPM v1.2 completely resolved the issue. I haven't bothered trying the newer DDPM v1.3 releases.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else here has had the same problem, and if so, if the latest release of DDPM still has this problem or not.

Hope this is helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.