Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That argument could be used for any tech/app on another platform. I’m sure Microsoft would be happy if Nintendo released Mario Kart for Xbox, but that doesn’t mean Microsoft can just do it themselves. Apple can release iMessage for Android if and when they want to. But it’s ultimately their choice.
Again, as I stated... it's Apple system. It's their choice.

But these gaming companies is quite different from what's going in the states with iMessage... Heck, I could get Mario Kart on Android or iOS? Does iMessage exist cross-platform?

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
I agree with you that Apple should not be forced to make their services available on other devices. However, other texting apps don't exist on iOS. Other IP-messaging apps do exist (WhatsApp, Signal, etc), but Apple does not allow anyone other than itself to create a IP-based messaging app on iOS with regular text message (SMS) fallback. To me, this seems anticompetitive.

Mostly agree with this, I think that for interoperability between messaging apps (something the EU is currently legislating) all messaging apps should fallback to either SMS or (better) RCS. This would of course require Apple to allow third party SMS/RCS apps which would be a good thing IMO.

There is absolutely no reason Beeper should get to essentially steal another companies messaging service for their own use.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
My perfect iPhone would be a Galaxy Ultra operating on an A17 Pro with iOS running.

My perfect computer would be an iPad running MacOS or a Thinkpad running MacOS.
Alright, let’s build everyone their “perfect phone” and “perfect computer”. Because kumbaya kumbaye - the world is perfect and peaceful.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Oh so you're saying there are cross platform messaging apps? Fantastic. Sounds like there's no monopoly.
Not fantastic. Because in order to use iMessage I have no other option to buy an Apple device... that's not good look.

I don't understand why be against it. It helps everyone involved... including Apple users, answer me this... why do you not want iMessage on Android?

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
But apps you are comparing iMessage to... are cross-platform apps.

And therein lies the issue.
Apple should not be forced to make iMessage cross platform. End of discussion. Google has had their chance to make an iMessage competitor and they fumbled it hard, that’s the only reason why they’ve been pressuring Apple to support RCS.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Again, as I stated... it's Apple system. It's their choice.

But these gaming companies is quite different from what's going in the states with iMessage... Heck, I could get Mario Kart on Android or iOS? Does iMessage exist cross-platform?
You can get a microtransaction-heavy demo of Mario Kart on mobile, but the 40 million selling Mario Kart 8, is only available on Switch.

But it seems like you agree that Apple has the right to choose here. You just think they SHOULD release for Android. Which is a valid opinion. That just simply doesn’t give the right to piggyback on their servers and do it yourself.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Partly off topic - but why do they care so much about privacy when it runs (encrypted as always) on an Android device) but nothing about MacOS running as Hackintosh with Bootloaders, Kernel Extensions and god knows what else?

If anything was really security impacting, id take a look into the hackintosh world.

Reactions: Natebird and klasma

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Not fantastic. Because in order to use iMessage I have no other option to buy an Apple device... that's not good look.

I don't understand why be against it. It helps everyone involved... including Apple users, answer me this... why do you not want iMessage on Android?

I am not against an iMessage client for android, but there is no reason they should be forced to build one nor should they be prevented from shutting down one that is essentially stealing from them (servers and messaging systems aren't free to run).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

That’s exactly the way a platform value add works for a consumer lifestyle device.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Apple should not be forced to make iMessage cross platform. End of discussion. Google has had their chance to make an iMessage competitor and they fumbled it hard, that’s the only reason why they’ve been pressuring Apple to support RCS.
Maybe you right.

But at this point, iMessage being locked to Apple devices particularly iPhones (given their popularity) ... has become something DOJ should look into. And yeah, Google had their chance to create an iMessage competitor... but you notice that each attempt was cross-platform.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014

I don’t think anybody here is against having iMessage on Android. I actually think Apple should do it. But I don’t think we should contort antitrust law to force Apple to do something they obviously don’t want to do.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Maybe you right.

But at this point, iMessage being locked to Apple devices particularly iPhones (given their popularity) ... has become something DOJ should look into. And yeah, Google had their chance to create an iMessage competitor... but you notice that each attempt was cross-platform.

Why? iMessage is a message protocol, should the DOJ look into the fact that WhatsApp messaging protocol is tied to the WattsApp application? Or the fact that Messages protocol is tied to the Messages application?

What is anti-competitive about having a messaging protocol that only works on one platform when there are countless protocols that are cross platform?

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
Maybe you right.

Google has every right to choose to make it cross platform, just like Apple has every right to choose to not make iMessage cross platform.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Well, from my perspective... it prevents a user from switching.

You can export your messaging history from the messaging protocol which gives you your history before you switch.

Do any messaging protocols actually support importing of message histories? I'm not really into this scene but by this logic the fact that you can't export from Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp also prevent switching to other messaging services.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I don’t care if it’s bipartisan or not. Those politicians on both sides have to be voted out of office. I am not advocating anyone break the law but this administration has to go and be voted out, leaving no doubt what the voters were thinking.
Who would you vote in that you consider more competent? One cannot vote politicians out, only others in.

Reactions: NyCeEvO and LinusR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.