Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
You say that, but it's not what is really happening. Even before Metal, when Apple used industry standard OpenGL, there were virtually no "big" gaming titles on the Mac. Main reason: profitability and extreme difficulty of supporting the platform. There was a time when Mac gaming thrived, but that was very long ago, before the modern age of PC gaming.

Two years ago, when M1 was introduced, there were hopes that this will lead to the new gaming Renaissance for the Mac. This hasn't really happened, at least not yet. But the simple fact is that gaming on Apple Silicon is now in the best state than Mac gaming was in the entire history of Intel Macs.
I don’t honestly remember gaming on my mac in the 2000s and early 2010s enough (I always used my macbooks as second computers) but given that whole platforms (such as blizzard) don’t even bother anymore, the fact that you say Mac gaming is the best since at least the PowerPC days is incredibly sad.

Just sad.

Not getting rid of my gaming PC anytime soon.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
12? Here is a long list of 247 ARM native Mac games. There may be others missing there, like SimCity 4 Deluxe, Grid Legends and No Man's Sky. That's 250. It's not bad. You use a bad source.
247? 247? I have that in my Steam library alone. They have thousands and thousands of games in that one platform alone. That is pathetic and proves everyone’s point that says Mac gaming sucks far better than I could. Thank you.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
247? 247? I have that in my Steam library alone. They have thousands and thousands of games in that one platform alone. That is pathetic and proves everyone’s point that says Mac gaming sucks far better than I could. Thank you.
you are a hard time gamer then...its clear Mac isnt for your type of people
Mac can game, casual games for sure
But how we get to gaming from the OP marketing topic ?!

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
you are a hard time gamer then...its clear Mac isnt for your type of people
Mac can game, casual games for sure
But how we get to gaming from the OP marketing topic ?!

Having a large collection of games available isn't just for hard gamers. It's also about options to choose from. And the point is that all other platforms have really large libraries.

Like we discussed before, Macs have been able to handle heavy games for a long time now. It's not a hardware issue anymore. It's about Apple imposing artificial limitations on their systems, combined with the lack interest from game developers, that ultimately hinder gaming.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Having a large collection of games available isn't just for hard gamers. It's also about options to choose from. And the point is that all other platforms have really large libraries.

"Other platforms" means just Windows and consoles, right? Because native games for Linux can be counted on the finders of one hand only.

Like we discussed before, Macs have been able to handle heavy games for a long time now.

Yeah, roughly two years, when M1 was released. Until then most Macs sold didn't have the GPU fast enough for many people playing games.

It's not a hardware issue anymore. It's about Apple imposing artificial limitations on their systems, combined with the lack interest from game developers, that ultimately hinder gaming.

This has nothing with artificial limitations. Vulkan is available on Linux, and yet nobody bothers with releasing Linux games. This is all about developer interest.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
"Other platforms" means just Windows and consoles, right? Because native games for Linux can be counted on the finders of one hand only.

Linux can use a translation layer called WINE. While indeed games that run under WINE are not native, Wine is open source and will not be taken away from you. Performance is also close to native (90% to 95%) or better, if the game had bugs on Windows that are not present under WINE.

Yeah, roughly two years, when M1 was released. Until then most Macs sold didn't have the GPU fast enough for many people playing games.

The internal GPU was pitiful. However, if Apple were more game-friendly, they could convince many developers to scale down their games to make them work under even that weaker GPU. OR maybe they could promote an eGPU. Maybe give it a cute name like GameBoost or something.

This has nothing with artificial limitations. Vulkan is available on Linux, and yet nobody bothers with releasing Linux games. This is all about developer interest.

Apple decided to discontinue Vulkan, went all the way to BLOCK Nvidia drivers on M1 and discontinued eGPU support (which could at least be used with virtual machines).

So yeah, they have a big share of the blame here.

Reactions: Altis

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
Linux can use a translation layer called WINE. While indeed games that run under WINE are not native, Wine is open source and will not be taken away from you. Performance is also close to native (90% to 95%) or better, if the game had bugs on Windows that are not present under WINE.
So Apple Silicon Macs running Rosetta games don't count, but Linux running games using WINE (which is also avaliable in AS macOS), which translates Windows APIs to Linux ones counts?

Ok.

Reactions: MayaUser and Homy

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
So Apple Silicon Macs running Rosetta games don't count, but Linux running games using WINE (which is also avaliable in AS macOS), which translates Windows APIs to Linux ones counts?

Ok.

Yes, another way of moving goalposts. Then we can count all the games using Wine, Playonmac and Crossover on Mac since it's open source and not going to disappear. Now we can add Witcher 3, Crysis Remastered, Dark Souls Remastered and hundreds more to the number of Mac compatible games.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021

Like we discussed before, Macs have been able to handle heavy games for a long time now. It's not a hardware issue anymore. It's about Apple imposing artificial limitations on their systems, combined with the lack interest from game developers, that ultimately hinder gaming.
He said he has in his library, not how many games are available for his platform and from how many have to choose from; having 247 games you are a gamer, or you are in denial stage...even in my young age i never played, or had more than 10 games, maybe 20 games in my entire life...you dont pay for games if you dont play them. He is a gamer
On Macs you couldnt play heavy games, casual, non demanding yes, for sure, or you dont know what demanding games means
Even now, i dont think you can play any heavy game on any mac (i dont count mac pro here) at 4k or 5k@60fps and please dont show me some old games or new one that can be played in 720p in 2023. Today standard if you say you can handle heavy games , it means at least 1080p@60fps or higher with normal or higher overall settings
I think just with AS the M1 Max and Ultra series can handle some heavy games IF they are native thanks to the new hardware and raw power otherwise you can forget it

Last edited:

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021

Ok.
like i said before this is already hilarious and off the charts, i think he cannot speak objectively since for him having over 240 games is not meaning he is a gamer...
I think we should go back for OP topic focus and about the marketing of the M2 because this gaming on mac have been discussed and there are other topics for this already

Last edited:
Reactions: Homy

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020

Ok.

Except you conveniently ignore that WINE under Apple Silicon requires Rosetta to run (and Crossover, by extension).
The moment Rosetta breaks, WINE / Crossover WILL break.

That doesn't happen under x86 / x64.

WINE COULD use Box86 / Box64 as a replacement when Rosetta is finally removed, but it's nowhere as good as Rosetta is. Even if we are talking 6 years from now, chances are it'll be better, but still not as great, because WINE as a whole moves very slowly (I've been following it for 20+ years).

But I think you are ignoring the most important point of all: why should I bother with translation layers to have performance inferior to x86 AT A HIGHER PRICE when I can just purchase a x86 machine and obtain it natively?
There are gaming laptops (and even handheld PCs at this point – just look at GPD Win 4), with very nice performance and screens.

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
Except you conveniently ignore that WINE under Apple Silicon requires Rosetta to run (and Crossover, by extension).

WINE COULD use Box86 / Box64 as a replacement when Rosetta is finally removed, but it's nowhere as good as Rosetta is. Even if we are talking 6 years from now, chances are it'll be better, but still not as great, because WINE as a whole moves very slowly (I've been following it for 20+ years).

But I think you are ignoring the most important point of all: why should I bother with translation layers to have performance inferior to x86 AT A HIGHER PRICE when I can just purchase a x86 machine and obtain it natively?
There are gaming laptops (and even handheld PCs at this point – just look at GPD Win 4), with very nice performance and screens.
Whatever you say man.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
like i said before this is already hilarious and off the charts, i think he cannot speak objectively since for him having over 240 games is not meaning he is a gamer...
I think we should go back for OP topic focus and about the marketing of the M2 because this gaming on mac have been discussed and there are other topics for this already
Actually I tried these (back in the day when I was a Linux and UNIX Admin) and crossover and WINE sucked. They sucked so bad. Yes, I have that many games. LOL. I know many, many people with more. So the thing is when I (and most people) play games, we want to play them natively. We don't want to have to worry about where a bug could be. Is it the native code? Is it the port process? Would it run better in WINE or Crossover? I would guess that Playonmac would be the same.

It's just not worth it to me. So I accept that Apple doesn't care about desktop gaming (mobile only) and have a gaming PC to go with my M1 MBA and M1 iPad Pro.

Reactions: bobcomer

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

This right here. It is easier to just use the native architecture for which most studios are creating games.

That said, consoles are even a threat to take over PC gaming as my generation (solidly X) gets older. Some devs have lately been porting console games to PC and the optimization is getting markedly worse. Anyway that is way off topic on this off topic thread LOL.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Actually I tried these (back in the day when I was a Linux and UNIX Admin) and crossover and WINE sucked. They sucked so bad. Yes, I have that many games. LOL. I know many, many people with more. So the thing is when I (and most people) play games, we want to play them natively. We don't want to have to worry about where a bug could be. Is it the native code? Is it the port process? Would it run better in WINE or Crossover? I would guess that Playonmac would be the same.

Valve has been pouring money heavily on Wine in the last 2-3 years to improve compatibility with Windows, as they feared Microsoft would close the store and be a threat to Linux.

The results are clear: before Valve, productivity software had better chances of working than games; now, Wine is markedly better for games, and compatibility with productivity software is more or less stagnant. Your results will be even better if you use Proton / Proton-GE, which is a fork that is better integrated with Steam.

Of course, argue about that with a Linux user and show how pouring money and developers can improve code quality, they will usually brush that off and say "oh, but money doesn't guarantee high quality code!" Which is true, but it definitely helps.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Everything. Many games for PCs are ported to consoles, and many games for consoles are rewritten for PCs. They are not entirely separate categories – especially now, when even the cheapest consoles have the firepower to double as consoles if only Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft would allow them to.

As many console gamers would tell you, MOST games on the iPhone are quick cash grabs and pay-to-win. It's either that, or they are cheaper in quality than their console / PC counterparts, with less features.

Just compare Mario Kart Tour with Mario Kart 8.
There's no comparison. Mario Kart Tour is riddled with microtransactions.

But the most aggravating point is that once the game is removed from the App Store in the iPhone, you can't install it on your phone anymore, whereas you absolutely CAN do that on your PC – even games on the Steam store can be backed up and played without Steam, if you ever fear a game will get removed from your library.

That alone is not only cost-saving for users, but helps preserve history. Apple's choice only preserve Apple's wallet.

I know all about that but that still didn’t answer my question. Porting PC games to consoles or vice versa doesn’t impact Mac gaming or the number of native AS games in any way. In your explanation you neither mention Mac nor show a connection. Your question was about the number of native AS games which you totally underestimated, not how that compares to other numbers, because there is always a bigger fish to compare with. I’m sure even if there were 5000 native AS games, more than Switch, people still would say it pales to the PC titles, or PC and console titles combined, or Macs get old games and are expensive. As usual people always find a reason to crack down on Mac, just like yourself.

It’s absurd that people complain about the size of the selection of Mac games and expect it to be as large as PC games or else it ”sucks” when they know Mac only has 2.48% of Steam user base. Despite that small user base 26% of Steam games are Mac compatible. Linux user base on Steam and the number of native 64-bit games for it are about half the size of Mac’s or less. One could even say Linux numbers ”pales” in comparison to Mac. No, I’m not counting Proton/Wine, just as you don’t count Rosetta/Wine and similar working games on Mac.

The rest about cash grabbing games on iPhone and disappearing games is still not relevant to the discussion, just another way of shifting focus. As if many games on PC and Android aren’t cash grabbing junks? We weren’t discussing iPhone gaming either. I only mentioned iPhone/iPad games to show there is always a bigger fish to compare with because you chose to compare console titles with Mac.

So you’re saying because of App Store’s terms Mac gaming is bad? We weren’t discussing App Store’s terms and conditions, but the number of native AS games. You do realize Mac gamers are not only limited to MAS? We can buy games on Steam, GOG, Epic and Macgamestore too. In fact I have purchased all my Mac games anywhere but on MAS. As for new MAS exclusive titles like RE Village you can compare it to exclusive games on Epic Game Store and at the moment it’s a price we have to pay for getting new titles since Apple has to earn back some of their investments in new games.

You seem to only focus on the problems and not the solutions. While it’s individual people who want to play old retro games are in minority, especially PC gamers who always brag about the number of games in their library or all the new or upcoming games. Who has the time to replay old games with all the new goodies flooding the market all the time? I see constantly gamers on Steam, GOG, Epic and elsewhere joking or complaining about their huge backlog with hundreds of games, especially with all the free games that are given away every day or week but this is forgotten in discussions like this. On one hand PC gamers mock Macs for not having many or new games. On the other hand they complain about not being able to play old games on Mac. It’s called double binding.

Those who want to hold on to old games can still make a backup and play without launching MAS just like Steam. Every purchased game on MAS or Apple Arcade downloads to your local storage and you can play them as long as you want in the future without a store launcher even if they’re removed from the store. Some games like the new RE Village require network connection and you can’t reinstall a removed game but that’s a discussion about different stores, not about Mac Gaming or native titles. And if you want to preserve history you can always keep your old device with your old apps on it. Even on PC there is no guarantee your old saved games would work with future OS and HW without problem. Another solution is to have an external drive like me for installing and saving all your games. Then you don’t even have to download and install them again on a new device. Just connect the drive and you’re ready to go.

You put the blame on Apple but many times devs are the ones to blame too. If they decide to remove their apps completely Apple has to follow their decision. One recent example is Embracer who pulled the plug on popular mobile games like Deus Ex GO and Hitman Sniper: The Shadows. As of Jan 4th customers not only aren’t able to buy and download already purchased games but can’t even access them anymore. Steam’s terms and conditions don’t allow that but Apple let the devs decide. Yet many decade old 32-bit games can still be downloaded and it’s not as if Apple suddenly removes the games. Often they give people and devs a chance to find a solution. They announced they were dropping support for 32-bit in 2016 and started removing apps two years later, but you can still download many old payed 32-bit apps.

You seem to try really hard to prove that Macs are bad not only for gaming but for everything, with all the goalposts moving and despite denying it. I mean first you say Mac gaming is really bad because there are only 12 native AS games. Then when corrected you say 250 is still really bad. Then you say thousands of fully playable 64-bit games on AS is still really bad because Rosetta games don’t count. Then you say Wine games count neither despite counting them on the Linux side. Then you say all these games pale to the number of Switch games, then they pale to the number of Console games. Then you throw in complaints about the App Store as if it’s he only option and finally the old age complaint about Macs being expensive.

If the state of Mac gaming is really bad this type of focus shifting is worse but I guess it fits perfectly this thread’s title, devious marketing. You could have just said ”Macs are bad” from the beginning and be done with it instead of this long agenda, because once you finally threw in the price argument as ”the most important point of all” it became clear you think Macs are bad in every way. If Macs are expensive for gaming they’re expensive for everything because there is always a better cheaper PC option according to you.

Why would you bother buying an inferior Mac at a higher price? I don’t know. Nobody buys a Mac at higher price to only play games. People use Crossover for $74 a year to not having to buy another computer or gaming device for $1000 like that GDP Win 4. I don’t see anybody here trying to force or convince you to buy a Mac. So why complain about something you don’t even care about enough to buy or use unless you get some personal satisfaction from telling people their choice of computer is inferior? You’re the one coming to a Mac forum trying to convince us Macs are really bad in every way. Buy whatever you want and do whatever you want with it instead of trying to preach about our ”Mac sins”.

I don’t want to be picky but first you got the number of native AS games grossly wrong, then you got the percentage calculation wrong (trying to correct me) and now you say Wine/Crossover on Mac will break because Rosetta will? And you have followed it for 20+ years? And it will take at least 6 years from now to update it for ARM/AS? It appears more and more that you’re not a Mac owner/user and don’t follow related news despite all your opinions. Following something is not the same as working with it. Codeweavers themselves tell a different story about Crossover/Wine. In 2021 they wrote:

”We ARE building out support for ARM based devices. We demonstrated our first working solution of CrossOver running on ARM over five years ago. While the technology is currently still in its infancy AND the performance is currently unacceptable, we believe that at our current rate of development that the technology will continue to improve to a point where it will be usable directly on ARM based devices. That point is difficult to predict; but we believe that we’re at least 12 – 18 months away. AND AGAIN, it is on our technology roadmap. When this solution is viable, we will include it in a future release of CrossOver.

If and when Apple does decide to remove or eliminate Rosetta2, we will likely be prepared. Technology changes, and CodeWeavers has managed these changes for the past 25 years (past 15 years on macOS). We were able to transform our technology to support macOS (then known as OS X) in 2006; able to manage the deprecation of OpenGL in OS X in favor of Apple’s METAL in 2018; able to manage the elimination of 32-bit application support in 2019; and managed the introduction of the Apple Silicon processors in 2020 while in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. We’re fortunate to employ really smart and really clever people that are dedicated to supporting our customers and our technology. And if at some point Intel Macs go away for good, we will again transform ourselves accordingly.”

You sound as if everybody is sitting and rolling their thumbs until Rosetta disappears or as if Codeweavers are just starting to work on the project when they already started about 7 years ago. Since that update in 2021 they’ve been working on it for another 20 months and they have another 3 years to polish it, if and when Rosetta disappears. Meanwhile as I said before developers like Aspyr are also updating their old catalog to Apple Silicon.

Rosetta’s job is to emulate Intel processors by translating the instructions. Since Wine already has ARM support it can run directly on Apple Silicon when Rosetta is gone and Wine has developed further. There are also projects like Hangover to run x86_64/x86_32 Windows applications on aarch64/ppc64le/x86_64 Wine and project MGL to run OpenGL 4.6 on Metal. Also Metal 3 introduced features that are available in Vulkan bringing the two much closer to each other with the help of MoltenVK. Let’s not forget about Windows on ARM either. It can be the next Bootcamp in the near future after Rosetta.

Wine moves very slowly? True in the past when it took years for each new version to come out (1993, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013) but now they release a new version every year. 7 was released last year and they just released Wine 8 with support for x86 applications on ARM which will probably be used in Crossover. So the future is brighter than you’re describing.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

A Mac user but PC gamer not following the Mac gaming news? Understandable but if you had payed more attention you would’ve found out that’s the number of currently native AS games as I wrote, not the number of compatible AS games. There are 132,388 titles for Win on Steam and 34,447 for Mac. While having only 2.48% user base on Steam at the moment Mac has 26% share of the game catalog. There are thousands of games you can play on AS.

That is neither ”pathetic” nor ”sucks”. I’ve been a Mac gamer since 1996 and played both small indie games and many AAA titles from different genres the past 26 years. In fact Marathon was the reason I got my first Mac, a Performa 6200 back then. I have gamed on PPC, Intel and now Apple Silicon and not once felt Mac gaming ”sucks”. Maybe because I enjoy my games more than I compare my Macs to PC.

It’s ridiculous to say ”Mac gaming sucks” because it’s just a personal preference. I wish people stopped seeing their personal needs as a general rule. Sure, Mac gaming ”sucks” for you but it’s perfectly fine for many. Not everybody has or needs hundreds of games in their library. I have also hundreds of games in total on Steam, GOG and Epic, but how many of your games have you actually played through and finished? People can spend thousands of hours in one game but even if you spend 50 hours in each game it would be 12,350 hours, 1544 work days or almost 4 years and 3 months straight.

I compare avid PC gamers to wolves. When wolves see a flock of sheep they kill as many as they can by instinct instead of killing only enough to eat. Like wolves PC gamers always brag about the number of games in their library or all the new or upcoming games, but who has the time to play and finish all the new goodies flooding the market all the time? A huge selection also means there is a lot of junk out there. On Mac usually the best games are ported for financial reasons. A huge catalog also means people tend to get tired faster of games and jump ships more often to find the next best title. Mac gamers mostly are like lions. They just hunt and eat what they need and are not interested in more when their stomach is full. They like to finish their games before jumping to another one. I know it’s generalizing but it shows that there is no real pride in having a huge game library you never can fully use in your lifetime. In that case you’re more of a game collector than player.

Apple actually cares about gaming on Mac and is aware of the situation. Tim Cook wrote way back in 2015 in a letter to Phil Schiller ”I think the lack of gaming (along with the lack of native productivity apps) are the main reason the Mac App Store is dormant.” Phil Schiller answered they had tried but failed due to bad sales. That can be discussed but they have offered their support whenever developers have asked for help, at least for some years. At WWDC21 Apple revealed that 4A and Larian Studios had asked them for help for optimizing Metro Exodus and BG3 for Apple Silicon and Metal and Apple had happily helped them for free.

At the same time many developers don’t care because of Mac’s small market share. It’s the same situation with Linux and that’s why Valve had to open its wallet and find a solution for playing Windows games on SteamOS. Finally just like Valve with Proton/Wine Apple took the matter in their own hands last year and started to collaborate with game studios and invest in exclusive titles on MAS. That can be a trend in the future to make MAS and Apple Arcade more attractive.

By the way I see by your avatar you’re a fan av Starcraft 2. That game runs quite well on Apple Silicon.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Oh, my. What a wall of text!

I’m sure even if there were 5000 native AS games, [...]

I'm sure if you had a private rocket, you could explore space!

We're working with reality here. In reality, we DON'T have even 5,000 Apple Silicon games.
We have around 250.

There are 132,388 titles for Win on Steam and 34,447 for Mac.

And how many of these have permanently stopped working because Apple phased out 32-bit support?
I'm not sure where you got your number from, but let's assume it is correct.
Apple Gaming Wiki (https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/M1_Rosetta_2_compatible_games_list) lists 441 games listed as compatible with Rosetta.

Since we have around 250 native games and 441 games compatible with Rosetta, it means the total number of games that run without virtualization is around 691 games.

But since we have 34,447 games on Steam available for the Mac, then it means 33,756 games have stopped working! It doesn't matter they are listed there; they are useless.

You seem to only focus on the problems and not the solutions.

Because the focus is discussing if Apple Silicon is viable as a gaming platform (it isn't). I'm not here to find solutions for that problem. I'm not Tim Cook or Apple's lead software developer, so I'm not obliged to find solutions.

Now, if they pay me...

Those who want to hold on to old games can still make a backup and play without launching MAS just like Steam. Every purchased game on MAS or Apple Arcade downloads to your local storage and you can play them as long as you want in the future without a store launcher even if they’re removed from the store.

So you're suggesting I should have an Apple Intel device JUST to play those non-compatible games? Why would I do that, when I can just get a PC?

Wine moves very slowly?

Yes, they do. The actual numbering of the project doesn't matter; they could label current WINE as WINE 100 for all I care. What REALLY matters is how fast they implement the API and software compatibility improves, and they have been so slow not even Windows 9x APIs are perfectly implemented.

Now, you could argue that's because Windows is a complex piece of software, and I would 100% agree. But it doesn't change the fact that you can have trouble running even old productivity software, like Illustrator.

You sound as if everybody is sitting and rolling their thumbs until Rosetta disappears or as if Codeweavers are just starting to work on the project when they already started about 7 years ago.

I never said that. I'm just emphasizing how difficult this whole ordeal is. Props to everyone making x86 code work under ARM.

Since that update in 2021 they’ve been working on it for another 20 months and they have another 3 years to polish it, if and when Rosetta disappears. Meanwhile as I said before developers like Aspyr are also updating their old catalog to Apple Silicon.

We're in 2023 now. How is that working out?
Hint: they haven't managed to update WINE's performance to an acceptable level, or else they would be using it without Rosetta.

Even when Rosetta disappears, chances are performance will still be inferior comparing to Apple's own solution, and compatibility will be worse.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Hint: they haven't managed to update WINE's performance to an acceptable level, or else they would be using it without Rosetta.

No they haven't. Again you're focusing only on problems. Why is that a problem now when Rosetta is still around and they have 3 more years to polish it? Why rush it out so you can be satsified?

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
In 2023 we have Wine 8 with ARM support which you didn't mention again.

It's a very nice feat that WINE can now build on ARM. But I doubt anyone would consider replace it with Rosetta yet.
Or replace Crossover Office with it.

Chances are you can probably even get Box86 working with Apple Silicon MacOS, but the performance will leave a lot to be desired.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
No they haven't. Again you're focusing only on problems. Why is that a problem now when Rosetta is still around and they have 3 more years to polish it? Why rush it out so you can be satsified?
Because people need to run software now, not 3 years from now.

We don't even know how WINE performance will be 3 years from now.
Fingers crossed that performance will be nice and smooth, because everyone wins – not just Apple users.
BUT considering WINE's track record and budget – and especially also considering that Valve is focusing on SteamOS, not Apple Silicon – I wouldn't be holding my breath.

But you want a solution? Here's your solution: convince Apple to contribute to WINE, either through budget donations or by lending some of their programmers. I'm sure compatibility with Apple Silicon will improve dramatically – and fast – if Apple contributes.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Because people need to run software now, not 3 years from now.

We don't even know how WINE performance will be 3 years from now.
Fingers crossed that performance will be nice and smooth, because everyone wins – not just Apple users.
BUT considering WINE's track record and budget – and especially also considering that Valve is focusing on SteamOS, not Apple Silicon – I wouldn't be holding my breath.

But you want a solution? Here's your solution: convince Apple to contribute to WINE, either through budget donations or by lending some of their programmers. I'm sure compatibility with Apple Silicon will improve dramatically – and fast – if Apple contributes.

But we are running our software now with Rosetta. Your concern wasn't about now, but exactly about the future when Rosetta disappears and Wine stops working. I just said there are solutions like Wine 8 which can be ready in the future. Feels as we're going in circles here.

There are lots of things we don't know so why talk about doomsday stories now when everything could be the opposite and as well solved in the coming year? Again you make a lot of ceratin statements based on things we don't know, like Rosetta and Wine support disappearing from Mac without any new solutions.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
But we are running our software now with Rosetta. Your concern wasn't about now, but exactly about the future when Rosetta disappears and Wine stops working. I just said there are solutions like Wine 8 which can be ready in the future.

Because they CAN be ready, but chances are they won't. I'm estimating that based on the complexity of making X86 run under ARM (even Crossover's lead developer said it was a very, very hard task) and on WINE's track record (slow).

Apple can only get it working so well because they are the designers of Apple Silicon and have a very large budget. WINE has a much larger scope than just Apple Silicon, and unless Apple contributes themselves (unlikely), I don't see a big change here in the next years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.