Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raknor

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2020
Did you read the article? They compared the performance to a 3 year old Intel PC, I expect at the announcement as I couldn't find it on their website. But yeah, the fact they were still selling the old Intel Mini at such a premium is absurd.
No they didn't .. the article and you are both wrong. See my earlier comment.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Apple, cut the crap and give us some real numbers to compare you performance with the competition.

I don't see much of a problem. So their marketing is "devious" and "crap" but you and I wait for the real reviews and benchmarks before we make our decision to buy. We don't need Apple's numbers. Those who don't see through their marketing are the ones who don't even care. They still get a better and faster Mac than the ones before. So in the end it doesn't matter much. Even Intel and AMD do this kind of "devious" marketing all the time.

Last edited:

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I don't see much of a problem. So their marketing is "devious" and "crap" but you and I wait for the real reviews and benchmarks before we make our decision to buy. We don't need Apple's numbers. Those who don't see through their marketing are the ones who don't even care. They still get a better and faster Mac than the ones before. So in the end it doesn't matter much. Even Intel and AMD do this kind of "devouis" marketing all the time.
I’m pretty sure their marketing is directed at me. I was going to buy the new M2 Mac mini no matter the exact speed. Will it be faster than my 2014 mini? Yes! Ok good enough. About 10X faster you say? Great, who cares about the precise speed increase! I’m not comparing the new Mac mini to an intel machine because I wouldn’t buy a PC. I’m comparing the mini to an almost 10 year old mini.

JoeDezibel

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2021
First: As someone who works in marketing I can tell you, thats normal behavior. Only show numbers that make you look good.

Second: It makes no sense to compare X86 with ARM. Completely different technologys.

You don’t need marketing or benchmarks to make a good buying decision. Just buy what fulfills your needs. It’s that easy 😉

Reactions: Homy

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
On the other side I see why they would choose to compare the current model against the claimed "best selling PC" especially if they are trying to get the people who would be included in this demographic to possibly switch. As much as technology and computers have entered in our lives, the vast majority do still go to their Walmart, Target, Best Buy, whatever and ask the associate "Which computer should I buy doing XYZ" so if the majority do still do this I can see Apple basically targeting/attracting this group. It is more impactful to use "best selling PC" vs putting up the specs of that PC or even current gen specs because face it the majority wouldn't know what that means anyway.
The "best selling PC" is probably a Dell, HO, or Lenovo running a low end CPU and Intel integrated Graphics. I had a Dell Ultra-Small Form Factor desk top with a 3 GHz Core 2 Duo from 2010 until I left in 2018, and I was in R&D at that.

A quick bounce to Dell's website turns up an Optiplex 7000 micro form factor machine with an i5-12500T at 2.0 GHz and 4.4 Ghz turbo, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD for $929. And it has an external power brick and UHD 770 graphics.

M2 mini seems pretty competitive to me.

Reactions: Ethosik

Mippps

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2023
Kolkata, India
You probably didn't get Apple's strategy here. Apple knows it very well that for the time being, they can't compete with x86-x64 with dedicated GPU in terms of raw power. So they focused on making SOC purpose-built for a specific task, Video editing, and photo editing. Apple Silicon SOCs have dedicated media decoding and encoding engines and they are specifically built for it. So Apple SOCs are excellent when it comes to video editing. When it comes to pure graphical power, those SOCs are nowhere near the current Nvidia GPUs. With these SOCs Apple is targeting content creators and average users, rather than gamers and someone who works on Autodesk Maya or Cinema 4D. Apple is following some clever technical as well as a marketing strategy.

• Angry
Reactions: Gudi

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
As far as I am aware/recall, Apple hasn’t really touted highest performance (i.e., fastest) personal computer since the Power Mac G5:

Regarding “best selling,” I don’t know… However, even with gaming, Steam’s data shows the largest percentage of utilized hardware is far from flagship or even current generation:

In other words, the stuff (e.g., computer configurations) you see/hear on YouTube, forums, and other social media isn’t the norm but rather the desired.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't really see much competition, if any, in the windows desktop market if I want a great performance in a compact form factor at that price level.

Perhaps the detractors here could start the ball rolling by suggesting an alternative to the Mac Mini?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You probably didn't get Apple's strategy here. Apple knows it very well that for the time being, they can't compete with x86-x64 with dedicated GPU in terms of raw power. So they focused on making SOC purpose-built for a specific task, Video editing, and photo editing. Apple Silicon SOCs have dedicated media decoding and encoding engines and they are specifically built for it. So Apple SOCs are excellent when it comes to video editing. When it comes to pure graphical power, those SOCs are nowhere near the current Nvidia GPUs. With these SOCs Apple is targeting content creators and average users, rather than gamers and someone who works on Autodesk Maya or Cinema 4D. Apple is following some clever technical as well as a marketing strategy.

Not quite. They focus on mobile, where they absolutely can deliver very competitive performance in both the CPU and the GPU (e.g. 14TFLOPS GPU at sub 50W - Nvidia can only dream about that). What Apple doesn’t have is hardware capable to compete with high-end desktop.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
What exactly was the point of this thread again?

Anyone who is comparing specs one for one like this knows enough to look past marketing talking points and find the "nerdy" data about what does what and how fast. The only evidence you've given that Apple's doing something tricky here is some Windows Central article defending PCs? Come on.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Wrong! Apple chooses to not compete on raw power, because only losers do. Smart power wins the game.

Yes, but Apple is losing that edge. In the past, it used to be the best platform for content creation and video editing.
But they are neglecting their own operating system and content creation tools.

Add it to the bill that AMD is getting more efficient.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yes, but Apple is losing that edge. In the past, it used to be the best platform for content creation and video editing.
But they are neglecting their own operating system and content creation tools.

Apple Silicon effortlessly wins almost every photo and video editing benchmark. What are you basing all this on?

Add it to the bill that AMD is getting more efficient.

Only a testament to the skills of their marketing department and the gullibility of the general audience. Their tricks with TDP alone are impressive enough. Sure thing, AMD is more efficient than Intel, there is no doubt about that. But Zen4 at 5nm still needs 2-3x as much power to deliver the same performance as two year old A14/M1.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Apple Silicon effortlessly wins almost every photo and video editing benchmark. What are you basing all this on?

Define "effortlessly".

Definitely not on raw power anymore, because you can easily use a high end GPU to win any benchmarks you want (and even combine as many as you want) on the PC side.

Which leads me to my next point:

Only a testament to the skills of their marketing department and the gullibility of the general audience. Their tricks with TDP alone are impressive enough. Sure thing, AMD is more efficient than Intel, there is no doubt about that. But Zen4 at 5nm still needs 2-3x as much power to deliver the same performance as two year old A14/M1.

I particularly like the GPD Win 4 as a portable solution. It has the Ryzen 6800U processor, which this benchmark suggests it's 25% slower than the Mac M2 (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4922vs4923/Apple-M2-8-Core-3500-MHz-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-6800U).

Now, it may be 25% slower, even its power is enough for very serious work. You could definitely use Photoshop or open very large MS Office files on it if you wanted to. And if I want, I can connect a large eGPU to it to edit 4k video.

It may not be the ideal solution for you on cost effectiveness, but the extra flexibility more than makes up for it.

In the meanwhile, you're stuck with Apple Mx processors as they are. Not only you're at Apple's mercy, but if one day you find out the device doesn't fulfill the needs for your workload anymore, your only option is buying a new device.

THAT's not very cost-effective either.

• Haha

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Define "effortlessly".

Definitely not on raw power anymore, because you can easily use a high end GPU to win any benchmarks you want (and even combine as many as you want) on the PC side.

Except photo and video doesn’t scale linearly with GPU, so no. Anyway, you are welcome to look at available benchmarks.

I particularly like the GPD Win 4 as a portable solution. It has the Ryzen 6800U processor, which this benchmark suggests it's 25% slower than the Mac M2 (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4922vs4923/Apple-M2-8-Core-3500-MHz-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-6800U).

Please, enough with this nonsense. Stop trying to sell an underpowered moped to folks who need a real car.

In the meanwhile, you're stuck with Apple Mx processors as they are. Not only you're at Apple's mercy, but if one day you find out the device doesn't fulfill the needs for your workload anymore, your only option is buying a new device.

THAT's not very cost-effective either.

There is no computer in the world (or in fact, any tool) that can do it all. If your job changes, you’d need a new tool. I fail to understand what’s so strange about this basic fact or how your moped is supposed to solve the global transportation problem.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Please, enough with this nonsense. Stop trying to sell an underpowered moped to folks who need a real car.

Isn't it what you are doing, trying to "sell" an "underpowered model" (Mx line) on the grounds of being more power efficient?

If your argument is for power, why not get an i9?

I find it hypocritical that you criticize me for showing a portable solution that could be flexible for many workloads, and then you advocate for the Mx line, which is exactly the same thing.

There is no computer in the world (or in fact, any tool) that can do it all. If your job changes, you’d need a new tool. I fail to understand what’s so strange about this basic fact or how your moped is supposed to solve the global transportation problem.

Exactly. Apple's solutions only solve a limited problem. That's the issue. And right now, because they are being sloppy on their operating system, they aren't even solving what they proposed themselves to do.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Isn't it what you are doing, trying to "sell" an "underpowered model" (Mx line) on the grounds of being more power efficient?

I’m not trying to sell anything. I’m saying that Mx line makes superior laptops because they deliver same or better performance than x86 laptop solution without the drawbacks associated with high power consumption of x86 platforms.

If your argument is for power, why not get an i9?

Because I need a portable solution. If you need pure power and don’t care about portability you should get a Threadripper Pro or something similar.

I find it hypocritical that you criticize me for showing a portable solution that could be flexible for many workloads, and then you advocate for the Mx line, which is exactly the same thing.

You are not showing us a portable solution. You are showing us an underpowered handheld gaming console that doesn’t have a proper keyboard or display. I can’t write code on that thing without hooking it to a full workspace setup. This mere fact makes it worthless to any professional.

Exactly. Apple's solutions only solve a limited problem. That's the issue.
It’s not an issue. It’s the reality of the industry. No computer out there solves the “full problem” (whatever that might be).

And right now, because they are being sloppy on their operating system, they aren't even solving what they proposed themselves to do.

I have no idea what this means.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
I’m not trying to sell anything. I’m saying that Mx line makes superior laptops because they deliver same or better performance than x86 laptop solution without the drawbacks associated with high power consumption of x86 platforms.
I’m not trying to sell anything. I’m saying that x64 line makes superior laptops because they deliver same or better performance than the Mx laptop solution without the drawbacks associated with the lack of software / hardware flexibility associated with Apple.

Because I need a portable and flexible solution.

You are not showing us a portable solution. You are showing us an underpowered handheld gaming console that doesn’t have a proper keyboard or display. I can’t write code on that thing without hooking it to a full workspace setup. This mere fact makes it worthless to any professional.

So let's get down to business.

The GPD Win 4 will give you a score of 1523 single thread (https://gpd.hk/gpdwin4).
Are you suggesting that you can't do absolutely nothing with a system that scores 1523 single thread?

Because the Macbook Pro, which is used for production work, will give you 1872 single core: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/20028451

Performance-wise, they should be very close. But you keep irrationally arguing that one is a toy and the other isn't, even though the "toy" runs full-blown Windows, has USB ports and is expansible.

It’s not an issue. It’s the reality of the industry. No computer out there solves the “full problem” (whatever that might be).

You just answered your own question.
Where have you seen anyone here advocating for a computer that solves the "full problem" for anyone?
No one here is arguing that. Because it would be ridiculous.

Last edited:

bombardier10

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
I think that apple silicon computers are closer to smartphone not a computer. If You need more power , more memory or storage You must buy new device. So You must pay more and more . This is very good for apple not for customers. If You dont need mobile device better choose is go to hackintosh with 12 or 13 th gen CPU.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
I think that apple silicon computers are closer to smartphone not a computer. If You need more power , more memory or storage You must buy new device. So You must pay more and more . This is very good for apple not for customers. If You dont need mobile device better choose is go to hackintosh with 12 or 13 th gen CPU.

Current smartphones are more powerful than you think. The reason we don't see full-blown OSes in them yet has more to do with licensing issues (no one wants to license Windows on ARM on a phone) and trading issues (if you add full-blown desktop systems to those devices, they will compete more directly with the declining PC market).

Of course, the GPU rendering would probably leave something to be desired, but for light to average tasks? Hell yes, smartphones have the processing power to do all that if you allow them to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.