Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about the Photos app redesign on iOS 18?

• I like it!

Votes: 94 22.5%
  • It's okay

Votes: 122 29.3%
  • I hate it

Votes: 209 50.1%

• Total voters

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
Actually, no. I’d have to have Pinned Collections at the top, moving my albums down, along with utilities and media types.

Was so much better when Favorites were just included in Albums and you could just open the app to the folders.

“Customizing” just opens up more bad UI
Favourites is the first folder in my pinned collections and the pinned collections are the first section that appears under my photo roll.
Couldn’t be much faster in my favourites.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

sgtaylor5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
One of the nice things about the new photo app is there’s a huge button at the very bottom that lets you customize what new features are shown. I’ve got just about everything turned off, but I could turn it on if I needed it any time.

I think that’s just about perfect.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Favourites is the first folder in my pinned collections and the pinned collections are the first section that appears under my photo roll.
Couldn’t be much faster in my favourites.
But then that would move my Albums down. I'm saying that you used to just have the Albums right there, Favorites included. I know you can still customize this to some degree to make it similar, but it's still "more clicks", and any time you have to do more to do the thing you did before, that's not an upgrade.

Favorites used to be listed with the Albums, but now it's part of a collection (?), and in order for that to be listed, you have to enable the whole lot. So then you disable all of the other items in THAT collection and it's just there on its own. Was better before.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
But then that would move my Albums down. I'm saying that you used to just have the Albums right there, Favorites included. I know you can still customize this to some degree to make it similar, but it's still "more clicks", and any time you have to do more to do the thing you did before, that's not an upgrade.

Favorites used to be listed with the Albums, but now it's part of a collection (?), and in order for that to be listed, you have to enable the whole lot. So then you disable all of the other items in THAT collection and it's just there on its own. Was better before.
Wait, what size device are you using?

On the Pro Max on Photos launch you can see the camera roll then 2 categories under that. Mine is Recent Days then Albums. But it could be Albums then Favorites. Single tap.

Heck, if I scroll down just a bit (single flick) to show 1 row of the camera roll then I can see 4 categories. You can cram as many as 5 in if you don’t have albums (which takes up 3 slimmer rows) there.

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Wait, what size device are you using?

On the Pro Max on Photos launch you can see the camera roll then 2 categories under that. Mine is Recent Days then Albums. But it could be Albums then Favorites. Single tap.

Heck, if I scroll down just a bit (single flick) to show 1 row of the camera roll then I can see 4 categories. You can cram as many as 5 in if you don’t have albums (which takes up 3 slimmer rows) there.
I’ve got a 14 Pro Max, and when I open the Photos app I see the photos at the top and then my albums below that. I have to scroll down for anything else, regardless of how I configure it.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I’m looking forward to trying it for myself tomorrow but must admit with it being a big change is there any danger of iCloud losing photos? I suppose any software glitch could easily lose them?

Maloney~888

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2018
I would like it if you could select the years/months or all option and it stays that way for when you go into the app and not be presented with all the photos.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Honestly I like a lot of things about it... but takes getting used to. I travel a lot and love the trips feature. That's pretty handy! I also like the way you can customize the order of the sections and I have pinned collections at the top. Everything I want is very handy.
b5e2218ae540ebcedbd041c6858513c7.jpg

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
It already drive me nuts when hiding the title bar the photo zooms in for a second while hiding the overlays. That was so quick before and now takes forever.

And why is the favorites album now in reverse order? Newest top oldest bottom?

Devnul0

macrumors regular
May 28, 2018
Greater Boston
I’m sick of everything I use having a prominent Edit button on it. Having the ability to customize is great but having it so easy that an mis-tap puts you into edit mode is irritating. I’m always ending up accidentally in edit mode for the Lock Screen. Stop doing that!

The new design makes it harder to go directly to the most recent in your library. I don’t need or want the “most recent” collection, I want the full library scrolled to the most recent point, and that used to simply be scrolling to the bottom where there was a lovely little status notification telling me if I’d synced with iCloud or not. Now those collections get in the way until I remove them all, and I have no idea if I’m synced or not.

Don’t even get me started on the horizontal scrolling. That idea sucks in the Home app and sucks now in Photos.

But the biggest failure of the new app is that while on iPad you have the sidebar, on iPhone you don’t. If you remove the album or utilities collections because you don’t want that clutter on the main screen, you literally cannot access albums or deleted photos or any of the utilities. Apple’s idea of customizable ui is not so customizable.

And really? I have to turn off the stupid automatic slideshow for every single album individually?!? This is all terrible UX.
EDIT: it’s worse than that … I have to turn off the automatic slideshow for every album individually on every device individually. Gah!
EDIT: looks like the Hidden album will only sort newest on top, which is of course the opposite of what it was…

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
It seems like such a clear downgrade in every conceivable aspect. I HATE it. I surely can’t bet the only one, I imagine there is going to be some backlash once the wider public sees how it changed, when iOS 18 officially drops.
Way for Apple to ruin something that was simple and functional. Sometimes they don’t know when to stop rethinking the wheel.
I completely agree. Is there a way to fix the inconsistent zoom level when trying to zoom in on photos?

Last edited:
Reactions: pappkristof

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I have duplicates of all my photos in the main view? Thumbnail view? Right at the top, duplicates of everything, and the duplicates can't be deleted. I have icloud photos turned off so I'm guessing those duplicates are the photos that I have stored/backed up on my Mac but I can't seem to get rid of them.

sduck

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
Where is the "Recents" folder? The one that has all the photos just taken with the phone, and whatever you've stored locally. All I can find now is a huge hodge-podge of that stuff mixed in with stuff I've imported into folders from my mac/lightroom. I need to be able to separate out the local stuff from my imported stuff.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Where is the "Recents" folder? The one that has all the photos just taken with the phone, and whatever you've stored locally. All I can find now is a huge hodge-podge of that stuff mixed in with stuff I've imported into folders from my mac/lightroom. I need to be able to separate out the local stuff from my imported stuff.
Yup! I’m with you. Look forward to a smattering of comments like “You can just customize it, what’s the problem”

Reactions: MrRom92

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Okay, I actually figured out how to get the library back to just photos, videos, and screenshots. But it took some time messing around in the app to do so. And if it was hard for me, it’s going to be near impossible for people who are less tech savvy. I get what Apple is aiming for here in this new app. But enabling all these albums by default was not the solution. Should have had a mini tour when you first open the app to show you how to enable the different settings instead.

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I’m already hearing it from friends and family. I was expecting it tomorrow but not tonight already…

1726543640037.gif

Reactions: blairh

aboulfad

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2024
I upgraded my older iPhone XS Max to iOS18, the photos app is an absolute mess, I hate it. I tried one simple frequently used workflow: select some photos to share or delete, and the UI is barely or rather invisible in this full view. Obviously a bug, or maybe I am using it wrong... many other operations require additional taps. For those of us that use the photos app on a daily basis (everyone?), this is a major step back IMO. I’ll keep on using it on my older iPhone hoping “I get used to it” 😕
IMG_0348.jpeg

Last edited:

wagszilla

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
If there is a dedicated Photos.app Hate Thread, someone let me know and I'll post there instead.

I understand people dislike change but this app redesign is just awful across the board.

I have no idea why it's so difficult to reorder Albums within Folders but it was almost like it was intentional to be as difficult as possible.

• Love
Reactions: pappkristof

noanker

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
I'd love it if Apple would include a 'classic' mode that reverted back to the previous Photos display and could be toggled as the user feels comfortable.

I'm just dreading upgrading my 90-year-old father's devices to the latest and the frustration that results when the wrong button is pressed.

If Apple would include a 'remote assist' and tie it to the Family Sharing to ensure security, that would go a long way in being able to remotely assist an elderly parent.

Seems that under Timmy's reign the preference is to introduce a feature that caters to a specific audience they relentlessly pander to instead of offering something more universally useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.