Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about the Photos app redesign on iOS 18?

• I like it!

Votes: 94 22.5%
  • It's okay

Votes: 122 29.3%
  • I hate it

Votes: 209 50.1%

• Total voters

dburkhanaev

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2018
You mean, they changed it to FORCE this new "feature" on us all in iOS & iPadOS 18, along with any/all other AI additions or changes they choose fit.
I think a lot of the AI (really ML: Machine Learning) features are going to be "Opt-In". I think they made the statement that their Apple Intelligence features would be Opt-In by default, which is how it should be. But I don't think the carousel of memories was a good idea from the start.

Often I find the curated memories that their algorithm pushes to the photo app widget to be non-sense, but it's in a stack pushed always to the bottom; sight unseen. But I don't want large, in-my-face images, randomly selected from my photo library and put front and center. I'm not sure that I like the potential privacy issue it might represent.

It's like Contact Posters. I don't really have NSFW images on my phone, but I have Not Appropriate for Work images on my phone and Not Appropriate for Family Gatherings pictures on my phone, which honestly don't need to be pushed upwards.

I'm glad they got rid of the Carousel of Memories, but they still have some work to go with the redundant pinned collections and the sort options which are cumbersome to select.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If they just set an option to let me launch the app with all my photos taking up the full screen I'd be happy.

Does un-checking all the customized options not give you exactly that?

Attachments

• IMG_2077.png
    IMG_2077.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 41

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Nope. That’s distraction. I read online they created something similar to Google’s magic eraser to delete things in pictures you don’t want.

No. It’s not yet part of the beta.

Reactions: Ratlerbite

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Does anyone know how you see all the photos that you have taken with the iPhone in the main grid (not albums copied to the iPhone from your mac) - just your camera roll?

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Does un-checking all the customized options not give you exactly that?
I get where he comes from. Unchecking everything would work. But then you don't have any of those. I'd rather have the camera roll separate from all the sections. I don't like how scrolling down my photos runs into a section. I liked it better with the sections and features off to the side like it was before. I really dislike how the photos meets the section scrolling down.

TgeekB

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
It’s certainly busier. More categories etc. I’m getting used to it and, as every app, will be updated as time goes on.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I didn't like it at all at first but after tweaking categories, it's not all that bad. I like the additional screen area without the bottom nav bar.
I’ve found myself removing most everything, but can’t find an easy way to get at my Favorites while keeping it simple. I miss the tab bar at the bottom. I really just want my folders, and no “loose photos” at the top. If I’m with someone else and I want to show them a photo from one of my folders, it’s easy enough without them seeing all my other photos, too. My “recents”. I wish I could not have all the photos listed, but have an “all photos” folder or something. The “recent days” folders are garbage.

Reactions: pappkristof

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I’ve found myself removing most everything, but can’t find an easy way to get at my Favorites while keeping it simple. I miss the tab bar at the bottom. I really just want my folders, and no “loose photos” at the top. If I’m with someone else and I want to show them a photo from one of my folders, it’s easy enough without them seeing all my other photos, too. My “recents”. I wish I could not have all the photos listed, but have an “all photos” folder or something. The “recent days” folders are garbage.
You use pinned Collections for favorites. It gives you options for pinned collections. Tap on "modify".

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I’ve found myself removing most everything, but can’t find an easy way to get at my Favorites while keeping it simple.

For 'Favorites', just just move the Pinned category to the top of the order and pin 'Favorites' to the top in the Pinned section.

At one point a long, long time ago, the Recents album actually worked and only showed recent photo's, maybe one week or month of them. For years, my recents folder is just the same as all photos. Anyway, you can hide it now.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I was really hoping that Apple would revert the changes based on the feedback, but unfortunately it seems they don’t listen to their customers.
Honestly the Photos app was the one least in need of changes. I wish they had put effort into adding Smart Albums support rather than this usability disaster they came up with.

Apple people if you're peeking at this thread, and I know some of you do, PLEASE roll this crap back. It sucks. Nobody wants it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Honestly the Photos app was the one least in need of changes. I wish they had put effort into adding Smart Albums support rather than this usability disaster they came up with.

Apple people if you're peeking at this thread, and I know some of you do, PLEASE roll this crap back. It sucks. Nobody wants it.

I think we have seen several people in this thread saying they do want it. I will join them.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
My only real beef with the new Photos App layout, is the behavior at where the photos, or camera roll, meets the first section. It's just kind of funky and annoying. It's not smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.jpeg
    IMG_0463.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 55

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
My only real beef with the new Photos App layout, is the behavior at where the photos, or camera roll, meets the first section. It's just kind of funky and annoying. It's not smooth.
Exactly. Was so much better with those recent photos just in their own tab with the Siri/AI stuff in their own tab at the bottom.

I think this ship has sailed, though. At least for now until iOS 18 gets out in the wild and everyone asks what the heck is going on 😆

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Exactly. Was so much better with those recent photos just in their own tab with the Siri/AI stuff in their own tab at the bottom.

I think this ship has sailed, though. At least for now until iOS 18 gets out in the wild and everyone asks what the heck is going on 😆
I'm seriously thinking of holding off on an OS upgrade this year to see what happens with Photos.

I can't see that releasing to everyone without causing a massive backlash. A lot of people practically LIVE in the Photos app. It needs to be easy to use with minimal fiddling, which is how the current version is.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I'm seriously thinking of holding off on an OS upgrade this year to see what happens with Photos.

I can't see that releasing to everyone without causing a massive backlash. A lot of people practically LIVE in the Photos app. It needs to be easy to use with minimal fiddling, which is how the current version is.
Exactly! It's one thing to put these changes on "Tech Savvy People" running a beta release, but what about the Grammas and Dr's who seemingly know little about tech or just the "Non-Tech Savvy" folks? I guarantee you they'll see this and freak. Any one of us here can easily point to how "easily it can be customized", but considering there's no Tab Bar at the bottom, and there will NEED to be customizing by nearly everyone for anyone to be somewhat happy? Yeah, won't be too good, IMO.

TgeekB

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Exactly! It's one thing to put these changes on "Tech Savvy People" running a beta release, but what about the Grammas and Dr's who seemingly know little about tech or just the "Non-Tech Savvy" folks? I guarantee you they'll see this and freak. Any one of us here can easily point to how "easily it can be customized", but considering there's no Tab Bar at the bottom, and there will NEED to be customizing by nearly everyone for anyone to be somewhat happy? Yeah, won't be too good, IMO.
ER’s will be filled with people having nervous breakdowns because the Apple photo app has changed.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
My take on the photos app is that it's "fine" I guess, but big picture, whatever happened to the old simplistic Apple we all loved? It's too busy, I actually had to Google search how to get easy access to my Favorite photos. This is not intuitive at all.

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
I would like to point out that it still sometimes plays something completely different when I click on a video and very often what it decides to show me is very x-rated. This is functionally bad

• Wow
Reactions: pappkristof

johaen8

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Near Montgomery, AL
I mostly like the new photos app. I do have one disappointment: in the old (pre-iOS18) Library/All Photos view, it would show the date range of the photos displayed, along with the location. In the new photos library, it shows the date, but not the location. I’m going to send a feedback to suggest they bring the location back.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
For any of the noble beta testers, how does the new Photos handle Folders? Are they basically just another type of Collection? Do they display as they do in iOS 17 where you see 4 thumbnails from the Albums within the Folder?

Just curious because I have a lot of Folders. Thanks for any responses! 🤓

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
For any of the noble beta testers, how does the new Photos handle Folders? Are they basically just another type of Collection? Do they display as they do in iOS 17 where you see 4 thumbnails from the Albums within the Folder?

Just curious because I have a lot of Folders. Thanks for any responses! 🤓
I also have a lot of folders (71!) and, well, you're going to be disappointed. There's a Section for Albums but it only shows a few, not all. You can't even scroll thru to get to other Albums. You have to enter THAT collection and then scroll thru your Albums. Definitely many steps back, not forward.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop when iOS 18 goes live and everyone asks WTH is this lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.