Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about the Photos app redesign on iOS 18?

• I like it!

Votes: 94 22.5%
  • It's okay

Votes: 122 29.3%
  • I hate it

Votes: 209 50.1%

• Total voters

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
I’m digging it. Looks nice with this latest beta 5 update. And after you customize it to remove things you don’t need to see anymore. Prefer it over the 17.6 photos app.

IMG_5177.png

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
How does one get to Favorites in B5 if not through the carousel? Because in B4 that seems to be the only way that they are accessible

Reactions: pappkristof

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
How does one get to Favorites in B5 if not through the carousel? Because in B4 that seems to be the only way that they are accessible
It's a big bummer still if you're used to just seeing your recent stream of photos in one folder and then Favorites in another, along with your other curated albums (a la iOS 17 and prior). I've customized as much as I could to get my 'Albums' and 'Utilities' and 'Media Types' sections at the top, but it seems 'Favorites' are only found under 'Pinned Collections' and nowhere else? That's my only remaining gripe.

Didn't realize how much better it would be by just removing the carousel part at the top. Would be nice if you could also reorder the items listed in each of the sections, like in Utilities so that I can have 'Map' listed towards the top so I can get at it without jumping into another sub-menu.

Last edited:

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Beta 5 doesn’t solve the real issue imo. Just gets rid of the reason the redesign was justified, which was seeing your memories as a big poster if I remember correctly.

What are “Collections”? What are “Albums”? How are they different? Why should I bother with both? Why is everything one long scroll that doesn’t facilitate any muscle memory and I have to read to find what I’m looking for?

I’m not going to bother to customize and reorder the app, nor will the vast majority of users. It’s a better app for the 5% who care to customize it and a much worse app for the majority who don’t.

Reactions: bruno7 and gank41

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
The size and proximity of the select, search and account icons at the top right is one of the worst UX decisions I've ever seen. How can Apple be this bad?

In general, what's to like? I see no improvement at all.

There is never an occasion where I want to be anywhere other than in my recents with most recent first. If I want to be anywhere else, I'll use search. In this new app, I often end up in other places and can't really figure out why or how to get back to the only view I want. It's annoying.

Last edited:

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Collections looks to be the automatically generated albums while the actual Albums are the folders we manually create and curate.
I was just about to say it appears so, but saw you can put your Albums inside of Collections so that those Albums appear within the "Collections" view, but also right below them in their own separate Albums view. Now I have no clear idea what they're supposed to be... Screenshots is also a Collection... but isn't it also an Album? Memories and Trips being separate also makes zero sense to me. Isn't a trip not a memory? Combine them. No need for a whole separate section. Name that memory "trip to ..." What makes it worse is that a "Trip" is technically a Memory, but it's also not because it's not under memories?

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
The bottom of the camera roll is a bit messed up. The division between the camera roll and the next section needs work. Sometimes I can't see all of the photos at the bottom.

gphome

macrumors member
May 15, 2024
is the photo editor within the photos app improved/changed at all? Has ProRaw handling been improved? (I'd love the option to be able to hide ProRAW files from the main gallery and only have them in a sub folder, then only images I edit and export shown in the main gallery)

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
is the photo editor within the photos app improved/changed at all? Has ProRaw handling been improved? (I'd love the option to be able to hide ProRAW files from the main gallery and only have them in a sub folder, then only images I edit and export shown in the main gallery)
The photo editing functions appear to be mostly the same however the video editing experience has definitely taken a hit. If only due to the vastly inferior scrubber.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
It depends on the kind of person you are. If you’re the kind of person that is willing to adapt to new things, then there won’t be a problem. However, if you’re the kind of person that doesn’t like change, then the Photos app on iOS 18 is the least of your problems.
I like change when it’s for the better. I don’t like change just for the sake of change though. I’ve seen plenty of apps destroyed that way.

Ratlerbite

Suspended
Mar 13, 2024
Takes a little while to get used to but i don’t think it’s terrible. I also don’t think changes were necessary

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
If they just set an option to let me launch the app with all my photos taking up the full screen I'd be happy. I don't care about all the extra junk. If i ever do need it then I can swipe down or go into a menu to access it.

There was nothing wrong with the photo app in iOS 17. They just changed it for the sake of being able to add a new "feature" to the list on iOS 18.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
There was nothing wrong with the photo app in iOS 17. They just changed it for the sake of being able to add a new "feature" to the list on iOS 18.
You mean, they changed it to FORCE this new "feature" on us all in iOS & iPadOS 18, along with any/all other AI additions or changes they choose fit.

dburkhanaev

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2018
Ah yes, nitpicking small numbers again. So let's have an update on this.

At the time of writing this comment - 64 votes. 32 people hate it, 32 people think it's okay or better.
We have learned that a) this is an insignificant sample size and b) there's no conclusion to be drawn here.

And something being different is very much a reason alone for people to dislike it, I'm surprised I even need to explain that.
Reasons why people don't like it were specifically mentioned, which had NOTHING to do with the change of the layout. There are function issues with the new Photos app which are minor, but time-wasting and annoying. There is a bit of redundancy in the ML-curated "smart" categories. Some of the sort options are laid out in a way that presents the sort options only 2/6 at a time, whereas some of the more useful ones are toward the back of the list.

NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING to do with being "changed". Either make a counterargument to the valid critiques given. "Because change" isn't a valid argument. It's just a statement and a not accurate statement at that. I wouldn't have had to rewrite the reasons above if you'd bothered to watch a brief video where someone else already went through the issues more succinctly than myself.

That's the restatement of "some" of the critiques that you and other folks won't make a counterargument against. You're just upset that you think Apple made a masterpiece change right out of the gate. I would argue that they still have work to do.

Since you aren't saying anything of substance and your only claim is "because changes, though". I'm putting this as the close end of the loop. You haven't made an argument. I don't know if you can reason logically beyond your emotional need to make false claims to run cover for Apple engineers' shortsightedness here.

dburkhanaev

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2018
I like the carousel thing, seems like whenever Apple has a good idea lately they cave in to tech blog complaints. Should be something we can optionally turn on and off.
Personally, I think it's better without. But I'm with you on the fact that often Apple can serve new interface options to people who want them by just adding a toggle. It's strange to me that it's all or nothing. They have already designed and built both interfaces. They just need a setting to turn it on or off. I think it's a thing they could do with Contact Posters as well. I have friends that, in their words, "heart that feature". But it's a nightmare to me and I think we could both have our way with one toggle.

dburkhanaev

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2018
I was just about to say it appears so, but saw you can put your Albums inside of Collections so that those Albums appear within the "Collections" view, but also right below them in their own separate Albums view. Now I have no clear idea what they're supposed to be... Screenshots is also a Collection... but isn't it also an Album? Memories and Trips being separate also makes zero sense to me. Isn't a trip not a memory? Combine them. No need for a whole separate section. Name that memory "trip to ..." What makes it worse is that a "Trip" is technically a Memory, but it's also not because it's not under memories?
I also think the "Collections" have far too many categorical redundancies. But I think we will finally see it refined into a usable app around 18.6.

• Haha
Reactions: gank41

fw85

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2023
I don't know if you can reason logically beyond your emotional need to make false claims to run cover for Apple engineers' shortsightedness here.
I'm not sure you're the one to call others emotional with the litany of endless whining you've been posting all around here :) I sure don't lose any sleep over an app on my phone

I never said the rework is perfect, just that I like it. Nothing is perfect. I think the recent removal of the carousel made it even better.

My main point is still valid - people are typically afraid of change and that alone creates a bad first impression for anything that's been changed. For better or worse.

Reactions: TgeekB

Ratlerbite

Suspended
Mar 13, 2024
I keep trying to make a new “memory” and my photos have been “processing” for almost 24 hours. How long does it take

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.