Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about the Photos app redesign on iOS 18?

• I like it!

Votes: 94 22.5%
  • It's okay

Votes: 122 29.3%
  • I hate it

Votes: 209 50.1%

• Total voters

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I also have a lot of folders (71!) and, well, you're going to be disappointed. There's a Section for Albums but it only shows a few, not all. You can't even scroll thru to get to other Albums. You have to enter THAT collection and then scroll thru your Albums. Definitely many steps back, not forward.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop when iOS 18 goes live and everyone asks WTH is this lol
Are you on the latest beta? I can horizontally scroll through all my (top-level) albums and folders.

Albums within a folder don't show until I click that folder to open it up. Then I get a standard (vertical) list of albums within that folder, or nested folders - whatever.

Clicking the ">" at the end of the Albums section title also shows every top-level album and folder in a vertical list.

Reactions: fatTribble

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Are you on the latest beta? I can horizontally scroll through all my (top-level) albums and folders.

Albums within a folder don't show until I click that folder to open it up. Then I get a standard (vertical) list of albums within that folder, or nested folders - whatever.

Clicking the ">" at the end of the Albums section title also shows every top-level album and folder in a vertical list.
Scrolling horizontally only shows 20 albums. This was why I liked having the Tabs at the bottom because that was essentially the "Collection" of Albums. Now I have to scroll to that collection, tap it, then scroll to the folder, THEN select it. More taps isn't a good thing. Less taps = good.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Scrolling horizontally only shows 20 albums. This was why I liked having the Tabs at the bottom because that was essentially the "Collection" of Albums. Now I have to scroll to that collection, tap it, then scroll to the folder, THEN select it. More taps isn't a good thing. Less taps = good.
Aha. I have less than 20 so I assumed - wrongly - that it would just keep scrolling.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
I also have a lot of folders (71!) and, well, you're going to be disappointed. There's a Section for Albums but it only shows a few, not all. You can't even scroll thru to get to other Albums. You have to enter THAT collection and then scroll thru your Albums. Definitely many steps back, not forward.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop when iOS 18 goes live and everyone asks WTH is this lol
Thanks for the response. So what happens to Folders?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Thanks for the response. So what happens to Folders?
Folders/Albums are still there, they're just now in their own sub-section or "collection". So, instead of just living in the tab at the bottom where you'd see your folders, you have all photos just hanging out at the top, and you have to customize the best you can the view to accommodate what you want. It's not perfect, and.. well. Yeah. Most folks don't like it. And these are "Tech" folks using a beta. Sooo, yeah.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
Folders/Albums are still there, they're just now in their own sub-section or "collection". So, instead of just living in the tab at the bottom where you'd see your folders, you have all photos just hanging out at the top, and you have to customize the best you can the view to accommodate what you want. It's not perfect, and.. well. Yeah. Most folks don't like it. And these are "Tech" folks using a beta. Sooo, yeah.
I wonder if one strategy might be to have fewer top folders and pin those to your favorite collections.
I haven‘t used it yet but I’m eager to experiment with different options once it’s released.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I wonder if one strategy might be to have fewer top folders and pin those to your favorite collections.
I haven‘t used it yet but I’m eager to experiment with different options once it’s released.
Ehhh, no. I have a lot of folders setup for work stuff and various other things. I'm not going to start deleting my own created Albums to accommodate some bad UI :)

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
I guess I’m intrigued by the customization options. We haven’t had that before.

I also wonder if they will bring back a redesigned Carousel. It’s still mentioned in their iOS 18 description page.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Ipadonly1

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
This is a folder of folders. I like how attractive the top level folder looks…

Attachments

• IMG_4145.jpeg
    IMG_4145.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 55

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I'm not a fan of it at all, but the one thing that annoys me more than anything is that photos and videos don't show in full screen with the first tap. And when you have a video playing full screen and pause, it will resume in the smaller view and you again have to tap to go full screen.

There are some nice new features, but I find the UI to be a huge step down.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
I´ve gone through all my apps on the phone to look which one uses any kind of a botton bar.
Nearly 90%.
Removing the button bar - WHERE OUR THUMB IS ALL!! THE!! TIME!! - to navigate to different sections of the app is unbelievable stupid.

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
Honestly I like it. Got used to it pretty quickly. Take a bit of time to rearrange and deactivate some stuff and it looks and works pretty fine.
It’s far away from being this huge upgrade as they presented in the keynote (for sure), but it’s a very solid photo app.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Before iOS 18: My Favorites Folder was right there in the bottom left on the Albums Tab as I open the Photos App.

iOS 18: Scroll down to a separate collection (?) from my collection of Albums and then tap the Favorites folder.

No matter how I try to configure it, with still wanting the Albums I've created and curated over time to be listed at the top, I'm struggling with still seeing more scrolls & taps to get to an album called FAVORITES. Seems like a bad UI choice to me.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Before iOS 18: My Favorites Folder was right there in the bottom left on the Albums Tab as I open the Photos App.

iOS 18: Scroll down to a separate collection (?) from my collection of Albums and then tap the Favorites folder.

No matter how I try to configure it, with still wanting the Albums I've created and curated over time to be listed at the top, I'm struggling with still seeing more scrolls & taps to get to an album called FAVORITES. Seems like a bad UI choice to me.
Strange. I'm able to get my Favorites to show in the bottom left corner every time I open the Photos app.

Modify your 'Pinned Collections' and move Favorites to the top of the list. It's probably already there by default. Then go to 'Customize & Reorder' and move 'Pinned Collections' to the top of the list.

moyjoy

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2019
New York
The first time I tried I was in the mindset of unbreaking it and getting it back to what I was accustomed to and I hated it. I had to go back in with a fresh mindset to instead customize it in a way that works for me, and I still hated it. Just kidding LOL! I actually like the new layout now.

There are some really strange things. Like when I go to Favorites at the bottom there's a tab for Photos and a tab for Movie. I thought that would toggle between favorite photos and favorite movies but no, it generates a movie of your favorites. With music.

I also find the half page "preview" movie in each album odd. You can manually turn that off in each folder. I'd much rather have the default be no preview with an option to turn on. Or one option in settings to toggle album previews on or off.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Strange. I'm able to get my Favorites to show in the bottom left corner every time I open the Photos app.

Modify your 'Pinned Collections' and move Favorites to the top of the list. It's probably already there by default. Then go to 'Customize & Reorder' and move 'Pinned Collections' to the top of the list.
That’s exactly what I did.

Oh and I LOVE Recent Days. It’s a hell of a lot better than just a massive camera roll to thumb through and get lost in. Once you customize it it’s a lot better than the old app which was so limited.

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021

Doesn’t have to be that way. You can customize it.

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
Only fix something that’s broken!!
Photo App was fine these aren’t improvements they’re just a change in positioning
More or less: yes!
Some new sorting options. I like that you can also look for QR code photos, handwritten stuff and artworks.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Doesn’t have to be that way. You can customize it.
Actually, no. I’d have to have Pinned Collections at the top, moving my albums down, along with utilities and media types.

Was so much better when Favorites were just included in Albums and you could just open the app to the folders.

“Customizing” just opens up more bad UI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.