Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about the Photos app redesign on iOS 18?

• I like it!

Votes: 94 22.6%
  • It's okay

Votes: 122 29.3%
  • I hate it

Votes: 208 50.0%

• Total voters

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
if the world stayed stagnant for ever then life would be very boring, apps would never see any progress

A very astute, and appropriate perspective.

No matter how frustrated I get with change, I really appreciate reminders like yours :)

Betas are 40% fishing expeditions, so don't forget to share your Feedback, Peeps!

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Am I crazy or did we lose the ability to hold and drag to select multiple photos?

Dieu

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
It seems like such a clear downgrade in every conceivable aspect. I HATE it. I surely can’t bet the only one, I imagine there is going to be some backlash once the wider public sees how it changed, when iOS 18 officially drops.
Way for Apple to ruin something that was simple and functional. Sometimes they don’t know when to stop rethinking the wheel.
The recent redesign of the Photos app is a step backward. The changes have complicated the process of finding or executing an action, which is counterproductive.

It’s disheartening to see resources being poured into emojis and political wallpapers, while the functionality of the IOS declines. Apple needs to refocus its priorities on improving the functionality of the IOS. I won’t get into that abomination they call the ‘App Store.’

Moreover, the censorship in the Apple Community is unacceptable. The editing and deletion of comments stifles open discussion and needs to be addressed immediately.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2015
Moreover, the censorship in the Apple Community is unacceptable. The editing and deletion of comments stifles open discussion and needs to be addressed immediately.

The Apple Community forums, if that is what you're referring to, just needs to be shut down. It's been worthless for more than a decade.

As far as private forums, such as this or Apple's, they can do as they wish. It's their right to host and moderate as they see fit.

Last edited:

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
The recent redesign of the Photos app is a step backward. The changes have complicated the process of finding or executing an action, which is counterproductive.

It’s disheartening to see resources being poured into emojis and political wallpapers, while the functionality of the IOS declines. Apple needs to refocus its priorities on improving the functionality of the IOS. I won’t get into that abomination they call the ‘App Store.’
Yet, some of us like the direction that Apple is taking. Personally I think the Photos app is much simpler and I love the fact that I can customise it to make it even easier for me to find what I need!

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
Am I crazy or did we lose the ability to hold and drag to select multiple photos?
Having mis-handled a shared library to my wife that filled her icloud I had to select by dragging then delete 16,000+ photos. So yes it works, but the initial grab is a little "iffy" as mentioned abive.

Reactions: LockOn2B

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Can we - not on beta - see some screenshots of the photo app? TIA.
It’s not even just about seeing the way things are laid out, but actually using it. Like the way scrolling to the right actually randomly scrolls to the left sometimes. Or how videos you don’t want to play start randomly playing just by looking at an album, before even opening it. The scrubber that doesn’t tell you how far into a video you’re going, or the player that doesn’t even tell you how much time in a video has elapsed/how much is left. A million little things in regular use that only serve to frustrate the end user.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I haven’t really reviewed what’s new with iOS 18 photos app from the keynote but can anyone summarize quickly what sucks about it?

tim_apple

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2019
Well I unabashedly love it. It is sleeker and slicker and smarter. I don’t get all the hate and think maybe people just don’t like change. I like that it takes more advantage of the hardware (I think?). I also liked the bordered photo presentation which they took away. I think people just need to get used to it and will like it.

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
Well I unabashedly love it. It is sleeker and slicker and smarter. I don’t get all the hate and think maybe people just don’t like change. I like that it takes more advantage of the hardware (I think?). I also liked the bordered photo presentation which they took away. I think people just need to get used to it and will like it.
I quite like video auto play but not sure about the infinite replay loop

Reactions: LockOn2B

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
Search being at the top instead of in the bottom right corner is a step back in terms of ergonomics. The default splash should just be the library with a swipe either way then summoning the custom carousel. The 'albums etc' screen should be hidden from view, not take up half the display.

Reactions: pappkristof

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I can't find a way to force an iCloud sync... it used to sit at the bottom of the gallery but I can't find it in the new UX - was useful if you took a photo that you immediately wanted to use on your Mac while your phone thought it needed to save battery...

Reactions: gank41 and BBDDVV

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles

It's just disorganized in my opinion. I don't know anyone that likes having all their photos in one, continuous, unorganized stream. At least before I could leave the album view and it would stay put, but now the unified unorganized list is front and center.

H_D

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2021
It‘s not that bad as soon as you delete 90% of the main screen. That you have kind of a landing-page flair that each user can configure a bit to his liking is nice. I don‘t like Recollections and faces and all that jazz, so its just Fotostream and Albums for me, mostly. Wish that the space below the main photo stream could be used for single albums, but the swipe is nice and the side bar is still there anyway when you need it. They demoted the albums a bit, which is a shame as that metaphor for bringing order to your images works/worked quite well, and I think we could do with more «Zoom»-stages between to small and too big, but other than that not as bad as the reactions had me afraid it‘d be. All things considered, 18 is very low-key so far, small quality of life enhancements and nothing spectacular (up until 2025)

Hobbes42

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
West Coast
My favorite new feature is when you go to scrub through a video it shrinks. Great added feature!

I’m being sarcastic.

mvdw84

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Canada
I miss a "back" button when on an image - I didn't mind it as much on my iPad, but it's taking a bit of time to get used to on my phone (only installed there yesterday)

gphome

macrumors member
May 15, 2024
I only played around with it briefly, but it seems they committed the cardinal sin for ANY Gallery or Photo app... to not just have a bog standard "all photos" as the primary screen, sorted by most recent at the top, default.

Sure, do all the fancy AI curated galleries and sorting, but make that side screens to the above.

Generally, I agree with this guy:

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I only played around with it briefly, but it seems they committed the cardinal sin for ANY Gallery or Photo app... to not just have a bog standard "all photos" as the primary screen, sorted by most recent at the top, default.

Sure, do all the fancy AI curated galleries and sorting, but make that side screens to the above.

Generally, I agree with this guy:

Although I agree with them, it only takes about 10-15 seconds to say it's bad 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.