Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about the Photos app redesign on iOS 18?

• I like it!

Votes: 94 22.5%
  • It's okay

Votes: 122 29.3%
  • I hate it

Votes: 209 50.1%

• Total voters

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Yeah, I've really been trying to use it and customize it to my liking, but it's just not good. With Photos App prior to this, it would put me right into the Recents Album where I need to be. Now there's still just too much fluff, regardless of how much I try and customize it to not show all that stuff. Having to always scroll down to get into my photos and drag and select instead of flat out just selecting multiple photos has been a pain.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I don’t need to be told what my photos are of if I can see them right in front of me, nor do I need to be reminded of past events unless I’m in the mood to go look at them, so the classic grid view is where I spend most of my time…I haven’t tried iOS 18, has this been kept?
The grid is still there but it doesn't take up all of the screen. It only uses about 60% of the screen now and the rest is all the crap like featured photos, memories, trips. You need to swipe down to get the grid full screen. No option to make it stick that way. You need to swipe down all the time.

When looking at the grid you can now swipe left/right but this is kinda useful as it seems like it separates photos/videos now instead of having them all in the one grid.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Yeah, I've really been trying to use it and customize it to my liking, but it's just not good. With Photos App prior to this, it would put me right into the Recents Album where I need to be. Now there's still just too much fluff, regardless of how much I try and customize it to not show all that stuff. Having to always scroll down to get into my photos and drag and select instead of flat out just selecting multiple photos has been a pain.
I have featured photos on and it doesn't even work. It says I need more photos lol.

Also I have a random black box in my grid which is annoying me. At first there was two but now only one. I tried saving a photo to my library today and it didn't save it at all. I know it's a beta and it'll be buggy but just makes me more annoyed having to use the photo app. I just want easy access to my photos like I did in iOS 17. It's by far the most annoying change in 18.

Reactions: gank41

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Just realized my shortcut for automatically put photos I have taken on my phone into a "Camera" Album broke. Same for shortcuts to open directly into specified albums. I understand wanting to change the layout, but did they really have to go and break existing functionality?

I know, it's a beta, but 3 releases in and these issues are persistent. Feedback has been filed.

Edit: Just tried to re-create the shortcut, turns out the action for opening directly to an album was removed! GG, Apple.

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
No way! Most folks are used to it at the top. Whether you specifically prefer it that way or not.
Actually, not anymore on cellphones. I think people finally calmed down and realized it is easier to get to on the bottom with your thumb(s) along with all the other buttons beneath it.

Either way I am fascinated at how people are responding with the photos app. It seems as if none of these companies can get it right. Might be a case of an app trying to do too much with limited screen real estate.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Actually, not anymore on cellphones. I think people finally calmed down and realized it is easier to get to on the bottom with your thumb(s) along with all the other buttons beneath it.

Either way I am fascinated at how people are responding with the photos app. It seems as if none of these companies can get it right. Might be a case of an app trying to do too much with limited screen real estate.
Not from the folks I know and have talked to. I’ve had to show a lot of folks how to switch it back. I bet more people use it “by default” without even knowing they can change it back.

But let’s not get back into that debate again this year. There’s a reason they added the option back to have the URL bar at the top AND the bottom. Regardless of what you think it should be set as…

Reactions: dburkhanaev

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
IMO, it's actually easier. And I haven't customized it yet. I do plan on having Albums to show up first in the scroll down list. I think initially it looked too busy for some users.

Reactions: Tagbert

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Meh. I agree with you and you can kind of do this on iOS 18, but it forces memories, trips and days on you more on iPadOS18
That's pretty bad. Sometimes people don't like to be reminded of the past but also can't bring themselves to delete those old photos. Keeping it on the classic grid view where you have to deliberately scroll up to see them works as an unobtrusive solution, and by making it harder Apple is showing a certain lack of respect for how people prefer to use their devices.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
That's pretty bad. Sometimes people don't like to be reminded of the past but also can't bring themselves to delete those old photos. Keeping it on the classic grid view where you have to deliberately scroll up to see them works as an unobtrusive solution, and by making it harder Apple is showing a certain lack of respect for how people prefer to use their devices.
Absolutely this. I just saw a suggested memory of my Dad, but it was a collection of photos of him in the hospital just before he died. Thanks Apple!

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
It's not bad, but I do prefer the pervious version. When I open Apple photos, I want there to be the full page of photos, not have to scroll down to fill the screen. I have gone back to using the Google photos app. I have moved Apple photos off the home screen and back into the app library.

Reactions: pappkristof

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
It's not bad, but I do prefer the pervious version. When I open Apple photos, I want there to be the full page of photos, not have to scroll down to fill the screen. I have gone back to using the Google photos app. I have moved Apple photos off the home screen and back into the app library.
Funny you say it’s not bad, but then note you’ve switched to another service all together and removed the app from your Home Screen.

I’ve tried using other apps as another way to maintain and organize my photos, but I’ve found that the Photos app is still better than others due to how well it’s integrated with everything.

I really hate the new Photos app. A lot.

Reactions: pappkristof

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
I’m not running the beta so all of these posts are really interesting to me.

How does the new Photos app deal with Folders containing Albums? I spend time after every trip or event putting pictures into Albums. Then I’ll organize Albums into Folders. Does the new app handle all of that? For example, can I pin a Folder to the Carousel or only an Album?

How about the Slideshow when in an Album? Any changes or improvements?

Bonus question for 10 points:
I’ve always enjoyed the Memories feature but only for the ones that I create. I’ve tried but never like the auto generated Memories from Apple. The only option has been to show the Memories feature or disable it. Any chance you can just turn off the auto generated Memories? Maybe I’m the only one who would want that.

iToph

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I think that the new photos app is absolute garbage. I use the beta on my daily driver but I can’t get used to it… it’s so overloaded with features and swipes and this and that - when you search for anything, you won’t find it when needed. I absolutely don’t like it.

Ipadonly1

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
I’m not running the beta so all of these posts are really interesting to me.

How does the new Photos app deal with Folders containing Albums? I spend time after every trip or event putting pictures into Albums. Then I’ll organize Albums into Folders. Does the new app handle all of that? For example, can I pin a Folder to the Carousel or only an Album?

How about the Slideshow when in an Album? Any changes or improvements?

Bonus question for 10 points:
I’ve always enjoyed the Memories feature but only for the ones that I create. I’ve tried but never like the auto generated Memories from Apple. The only option has been to show the Memories feature or disable it. Any chance you can just turn off the auto generated Memories? Maybe I’m the only one who would want that.
I didn’t realise you could have folders with albums in them. How do you do this?
Edit: woah never noticed this

Would also be interested to know how you create your memories. I too don’t like the auto generated ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
Would also be interested to know how you create your memories. I too don’t like the auto generated ones.
You can go into one of your Albums, click the 3 dots at the upper right and select Play Memory Video. Once it starts playing you can change the music and manage the photos. If you like it, you can choose to Add to Favorites so it will show up in the For You under Memories. This is one of my favorite features!

I’d be lost without Folders because I have so many Albums. Hope you enjoy!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
It depends on the kind of person you are. If you’re the kind of person that is willing to adapt to new things, then there won’t be a problem. However, if you’re the kind of person that doesn’t like change, then the Photos app on iOS 18 is the least of your problems.
I see what you're trying to do. I enjoy change and I like a lot of the new changes in iOS 18. Too many to count... but the photos app I hate and it's not because of the kind of person I am lol. It's a crappy redesign and Apple should feel bad.

Unfortunately we won’t have any other choice.

I tried the beta, but downgraded after a week mostly because of the new Photos app.
I thought about going back to iOS 17 but all the other changes/improvements I'd miss so they kinda make up for how bad the Photos app is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.