Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about the Photos app redesign on iOS 18?

• I like it!

Votes: 94 22.5%
  • It's okay

Votes: 122 29.3%
  • I hate it

Votes: 209 50.1%

• Total voters

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Maybe the reason they redesigned it in such a way is for the coming of Apple Intelligence

Could that be it?
Could be. I have the featured photos thing enabled but apparently I don't have enough photos synced to iCloud lol (I do have lots of photos).

So maybe once they finally get around to adding Apple Intel then it'll work properly and not suck as much. I want them to at least give us the option to launch the Photos app with all my photos showing instead of having 40% of the screen wasted on stuff I don't really care about.

Ipadonly1

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
You can go into one of your Albums, click the 3 dots at the upper right and select Play Memory Video. Once it starts playing you can change the music and manage the photos. If you like it, you can choose to Add to Favorites so it will show up in the For You under Memories. This is one of my favorite features!

I’d be lost without Folders because I have so many Albums. Hope you enjoy!
Ah right yeah thank you. I wish Apple would let us change the transitions and what-not. Like give us basic iMovie features AND let us use Apple Music tracks (iMovie doesn’t allow this)

Thanks!

Reactions: fatTribble

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
The rationale is explained by Apple here. The buzzy "deep intelligence" which is in a quote in the interview seems to refer to ML supported/mediated actions, but your guess here is as good as anyone’s. 🤪😁🙃

TLDR; Apple want to allow for ML automatisation as well as personal customisation in Photos.

Last edited:

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
I'm looking for factual information
Clearly you’re not happy with the Photos app and cannot seem to adapt to the new layout. But, if you want “factual information”, you’ll have to go to the Apple engineers that designed that app.. all you’ll get here is educated guesses.

Last edited:

AndronicusMaximus

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2023
Clearly you’re not happy with the Photos app and cannot seem to adapt to the new layout. But, if you want to”factual information”, you’ll have to go to the Apple engineers that designed that app.. all you’ll get here is educated guesses.
That's not true. I'm asking because others hate it, and I'm worried for Apple's success

• Haha
Reactions: I7guy and Jada34

dburkhanaev

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2018
I don’t need to be told what my photos are of if I can see them right in front of me, nor do I need to be reminded of past events unless I’m in the mood to go look at them, so the classic grid view is where I spend most of my time…I haven’t tried iOS 18, has this been kept?
A lot of the curated albums/categories are redundant and a waste of precious UI real estate. There’s a video in this thread that rationally goes over the good and the bad. Mostly I agree with the reviewers take.

dburkhanaev

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2018
Could be. I have the featured photos thing enabled but apparently I don't have enough photos synced to iCloud lol (I do have lots of photos).

So maybe once they finally get around to adding Apple Intel then it'll work properly and not suck as much. I want them to at least give us the option to launch the Photos app with all my photos showing instead of having 40% of the screen wasted on stuff I don't really care about.
Depends on how different Apple Intelligence is. It’s all machine learning and they’re already using it to curate albums of so and so over the years. You on your birthday. Remind me “x” when I get home. ML cores have been in Apple silicon for years running complex algorithms to prompt just in time notifications and suggestions, picture albums, etc.

dburkhanaev

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2018
No way! Most folks are used to it at the top. Whether you specifically prefer it that way or not.
It’s about where your thumb is in relation to the UI. Address bar on bottom is a better UX experience. Apple just came around later than android and even windows phone who both used the other paradigm. And now I can’t use it so far away from my thumb.

Reactions: johaen8

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Absolutely not, even asking that is laughable. If someone really doesn't like Apple's Photo app they will just use a third-party alternative. I think mostly people that don't like it simply fear change. I don't use the Photos app that much to care one way or the other. I'm sure it will get more refined as the beta phases move along. If there is something you don't like or find not useful, report it to Apple, otherwise nothing will ever change.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
It’s about where your thumb is in relation to the UI. Address bar on bottom is a better UX experience.
Just note that this is opinion and subjective, and that not everyone agrees with that. That’s why they reverted to having both options because some people DON’T agree with your opinion. :)

jameseld82

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
London Uk
I’ve been playing about with the photos app on my iPad as I’m running the beta on that. I have to say I love the refresh and how it looks.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I quite like the new layout.

I have only the one tile/tab/whatever thing at the top, so sliding either way just gives a "Customise" screen. It'd be nice if that could be disabled but I've not swiped accidentally at all, so it's fine.

Under that I have Albums. That's it.

Change I'd like to see: Allow me to see and edit photo Titles (not just the Caption/Description field) as Photos on MacOS shows Titles underneath the photo. As I export all my photos to upload elsewhere, I want an exif/iptc title.

I've written an Applescript that takes the first sentence from Caption and writes it to Title, and then leaves the remaining text, if anything, in the Caption field. But it would be great to skip that step, and see the Titles in the iOS Photos app when the Titles get re-synced back from MacOS Photos.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
I haven't seen it yet, but given the mess that is Apple Music, I am quite worried. The interface was once the best thing about Apple, and now they can't seem to do anything right. Does the market always picks the worst product, somehow?

redbeard331

macrumors 68040
Jul 21, 2009
I’m looking it more and more, my favorite part is the new utilities, it has sections for QR codes, handwriting, documents, recently viewed, and more. I have a giant photo library so it’s helped me find all sorts of things that I’d normally never find and just give up on.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Change is only good when it makes something better
Years ago Apple changed its photo app and a few months later reverted back to the original Photos App in an update
They may have to do this again
Looking at the photos App in the beta version I can honestly say that Apple did this only for the sake of Change

fw85

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2023
We can shut down every thread if criticism is called "fear of change".

And I really want to know what alternatives are there. I don´t know any good one.
The criticism I've read so far was almost entirely subjective stuff, often without even realizing that e.g. you can customize the app to your liking now.

Any attempted redesign of such a long-established core app is sure to rub some people the wrong way as it breaks a habit.
That doesn't mean the redesign is bad, or unnecessary.

I think it's a nice new design that somehow manages to be simpler by default, and more complex when you need it to be.
That's not an easy balance to strike.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.