Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use Apple Trade in again?

• Total voters

Bojack62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2024
Sent in my iPad Pro in a flimsy cardboard box with a cardboard cradle to protect device. No foam or air bubble bag or packaging. No Nicks or scratches what so ever. Did a screen burn in test available on web. No noticeable burn in. Cleaned it before packing and sent off. Two days later receive email that said $0 tradein value Due to LCD display burn in damage/streaks/discoloration across the screen. Should we keep it? Or send it back? When I got it back the screen appeared to have scratches all over, but wasn’t scratched. I was able to remove “scratches“ with soft micro clothe. Scratches were a thin white waxy substance. The back of it had a grey colored glue all over it like the glue on duct tape. I had to use some dish detergent and green plastic scrubby to get it off. Don’t waste your time with Apple trade-in. It’s just a ploy to get you to upgrade your device.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I have done Apple trade-ins with multiple devices (iPods, iWatchs, iPads, iPhones, and both MacBook and desktops Macs without any issues. While the trade-in values of some were lower then I expected, when I traded in my 2013 Mac Pro (Trashcan Mac) in Jan 2021 I received enough to get a M1 Mini w/ 16GB, and 1TB, extend keyboard, and trackpad for the cost of shipping. I did do all trade-in through the local Apple Store so that may have been a difference but generally happy with the service. Also one of the iPods was an original rotary wheel iPod that was in good condition (this was in 2016) and the Apple rep told me I would get more selling it as a collectors items as he could only offer $25 or 50. Ended up selling for $110.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
Sent in my iPad Pro in a flimsy cardboard box with a cardboard cradle to protect device. No foam or air bubble bag or packaging. No Nicks or scratches what so ever. Did a screen burn in test available on web. No noticeable burn in. Cleaned it before packing and sent off. Two days later receive email that said $0 tradein value Due to LCD display burn in damage/streaks/discoloration across the screen. Should we keep it? Or send it back? When I got it back the screen appeared to have scratches all over, but wasn’t scratched. I was able to remove “scratches“ with soft micro clothe. Scratches were a thin white waxy substance. The back of it had a grey colored glue all over it like the glue on duct tape. I had to use some dish detergent and green plastic scrubby to get it off. Don’t waste your time with Apple trade-in. It’s just a ploy to get you to upgrade your device.
Sounds like your trade-in didn't qualify for full trade-in price.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I've never had a problem doing a trade in. I've generally done it in combination with installment payments via Apple Card, I don't know if that biases the results in anyway.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
As many others have said, if it at all possible, do the trade-in in-person an Apple store. If you have an Apple store even at all accessible in some way, make an appointment, and make the trek. It’s worth it to be able to have the employee verify it in person, and then lock-in the price that you’re quoted.

If you do some searching on these forums or on Reddit, unfortunately it’s somewhat known that the official Apple mail-in trade-in uses some 3rd party, that has a bad rep for 1) damaging your device and sending back a more damaged one, or 2) claiming it was more damaged than it was submitted as and offering you “$0” (or much less) and upon asking for it to be shipped back, receiving something that was in fact totally fine, or 3) getting shipped a totally different device back after (2)… Also even if you were to give them the benefit of the doubt and what they claim is true, anytime you ship something, there’s the possibility it gets damaged in transit / even if you pack it really well.

Separately, my view on Apple trade-in: for some devices, the Apple trade-in value isn’t that much lower than the true secondary market price (eg. on Swappa or Ebay), such that it’s worth a slightly lower price w/ Apple trade-in for the ease of not having to sell it, deal with potential scam buyers, fees, etc. However for other devices, the Apple trade-in value is so much lower than the true secondary market price, it’s worth it to try and sell it yourself. I find in general, iPhones have decent trade-in values (especially if you have the base model, as storage upgrades get 0 credit on Apple trade-in), whereas Macs often don’t (especially more recent ones). iPads are probably in-between, and vary more on a case by case basis.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
The main problem I have with trade-ins is getting the money back on Apple gift cards. it’s like I can never get my money out of gift cards.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Agree with others, in-store trade-in only. I have seen SO SO SO many posts like this over the years. I don't know why people still risk it.

Reactions: JayMysterio

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
And here's another voice for recommending trade-in in the Apple Store. Reason being that you get a gift card with the promised value immediately. You can then use the gift card and place an order online as usual (or in the store if you prefer).

I did use the trade-in with the trade-in kit once before I knew of all the horror stories and it actually went just fine. Promised amount showed up on my credit card within 48 hours of sending it in. I would do it in the store the next time though.

The main problem I have with trade-ins is getting the money back on Apple gift cards. it’s like I can never get my money out of gift cards.
It can be worth it if you are going to use the gift card on something newly released that can't be had cheaper anywhere else. So for example if you need a new Apple Watch in the next few weeks and want to buy it day 1 when Apple launches the Series 10 in September.

I have a couple gift cards just sitting in my account until something new comes out that I really want. Like either a new Apple Watch or preferably new Airpods Max. For anything else like a M3 Mac those are cheaper at Best Buy and I'd just be wasting the gift card.

Reactions: JayMysterio

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Another thing about the convenience of in store trade in, is that if you trade in after ( at least within the return window or maybe even a month ) you can choose to instead of getting gift cards get it applied to your earlier purchase.

I purchased my current iPP 13in, but didn't bring a trade in at the time. Someone offered to take an older iPad air off my hands, and went back on it. I was able to bring the Air in for trade a week or two later, and they applied it to my balance on the iPP. A nice option to have.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I may be trading in my iPhone 12 for the new 16 in September. If buying from the Apple store, do they allow you to hand over your existing phone a few days after purchase? I prefer to transfer data from one handset to the other, but if trading in at the time of purchase I guess that can't be done? Would the alternative be an iCloud back up prior to going to the store to trade in?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I may be trading in my iPhone 12 for the new 16 in September. If buying from the Apple store, do they allow you to hand over your existing phone a few days after purchase? I prefer to transfer data from one handset to the other, but if trading in at the time of purchase I guess that can't be done? Would the alternative be an iCloud back up prior to going to the store to trade in?

I did my own backup before taking it in and built the new device off of it.

Reactions: Big Stevie

Aka757

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
I’ve done trade-ins in store and once through mail. Never had issues with either, but in-store is certainly easier and safer. That being said, selling will always give you the best value, if you are willing to put up with the hassle of listing, shipping, etc. Swappa is a great website to use for buying / selling secondhand electronics.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I always go to the Apple Store in person to do my trade in, and Apple has always put the full trade in price quoted back on the debit card I used from my credit union, which post quicker than my credit card. I used to sell privately through Swappa, but now with more people scamming, I prefer the convenience of trading in through Apple in person, even if I do get a quote less than I would if I were to sell privately, the convenience to trade in to Apple is more convenien.

Reactions: kltmom

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The problem with Apple trade in is the combo of low values on the sell side and then having your value trapped w/ Apple on the buy side (where prices are all overinflated)

The combo means you are really taking a pretty big bath ultimately.

I'm still working off gift cards from a trade in done YEARS ago, as I refuse to buy at their 1st party rip off pricing, so I've relegated the value to iCloud monthly fees

I probably would have bent over and bought an iPad Mini 7 with the giftcards though ... had they ever released one. :(

Reactions: cashville2400

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
my question is, how can the 3rd party trade in vendor return a device thats not the original one? i get there can be outliers where they made a mistake and own up to that, but how can they get away with this when you, the seller, know the serial number of the device you sent? do they, the trade in vendor, stick to their guns still?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.