Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use Apple Trade in again?

• Total voters

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
Pawn shops are still far quicker than having to lineup outside an Apple store to get gued into the store. Plus masks are still mandatory here and only 10 people are allowed in the store at once.

• Wow
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
I recently did a trade-in with apple for a new iPad. I was originally quoted $315 and they lowered the value to $60 due to "bent device without evident screen lifting. I disputed the trade-in value because I saw another user had the same issue and was able to get the full value after complaining to CS and showing them them an article from Apple that says some variances in "flatness" of the 2018 iPad pros is normal. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're budging, they sent me this photo:

IMG_0014.jpg

This iPad was very minimally used over its lifespan and I can say any bend, if there was even one before I sent it to them was completely imperceptible. To make matters even worse, I originally sent them my smart folio and apple pencil for recycling with the iPad, and they have effectively stolen them from me as they did not send them back with the iPad after the trade-in was rejected.

Should I escalate this further?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, you're not going to get Apple fans to bash Apple products or policies. Instead, they will say nothing or defend/rationalize.

For you in your situation, it IS a scam. You are disappointed with their policy and decisions. 500 people on some website agreeing or disagreeing with you won't do a thing for you though.

Yes, escalate to try to get satisfaction. It might work or might not.

If you don't like how some company treats you, don't further reward them with more of your money. Then the "scam" is on them in turning a paying customer away. If others are similarly disappointed and make the same kind of decision of where to spend future money, seller may eventually start feeling like maybe such service choices undermine what is most important to them: 💰💰💰 When they feel it in the money, they may change their policies & procedures.

Else, if you gripe but then reward them with more money, the "scam" or not scam worked in the best possible way FOR them: 💰💰💰

You desperately want something from them. They also desperately want something else from you. You are fully in control of what they want from you... until you release it to them. You are not obligated to give it them.

Last edited:

Aka757

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
You did kinda get screwed here. There's a whole other thread about this, but trading in a device in-store is always preferable (not sure if this was an option for you). You should definitely escalate to see if someone else at Apple can assist you, or at the very least, you can get the pencil and folio back.

To answer the question in the title of this thread: no, Apple's trade-in program is not a scam. Just because you got screwed, doesn't make it a scam. That's a bit silly. I highly doubt Apple makes any amount of money from their trade-in program material enough to risk their reputation through a trade-in scam. You got screwed, and the trade-in program is legit. Both things are true here.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Pipip

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2024
I have never had a problem with my trade ins. I have been trading in Macs, iPhones and iPads since the program started and never had a quote revised when they received my hardware. Until now.

Traded my near mint 13” iPad Pro in for a quote of $510 but when they received it I was offered $100 for exactly the same reason as OP. My iPad was babied and therefore in exactly the same state of straightness as it was when I purchased it. Any variation from absolute straightness was there at time of manufacture, not that I noticed any when I owned it. I had no alternative but to accept the offer as I was moving house the day after receiving the email and up to my eyes with other things to do. I will be contacting customer service now as this seems very much like a ruse.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I was planning do trade in online for my old iPad then read scary stories so end up selling on Facebook marketplace instead.

I am planning to get new iPhone in September and I never ever did Apple trade in before and I defo won't be doing online one and every one mention do Apple Store trade in instead. Since Apple Store is quite far away from me so I need plan day out in London and do trade in same day. I am unclear do you need book before you go? Remember I am in UK to go London Apple Store. If I can just turn up any time of opening hours then that be much easier for me.

marcocb88

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2020
A while ago I took a 2018 iPad Pro to the Apple Store for a trade in and they would not take it since it had a slight bent.
A few days later I straightened it by bending it carefully backwards and then I took it to another Apple Store and they took it no problem.
I always do my trade ins in the store, I just preorder my new iPad’s and iPhone’s with no trade in selected and a few days later when I transferred everything I take my old one back to the store and they apply the credit to the purchase.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
You live in Canada and masks are mandatory? I go to Ontario all the time and they definitely are not. In fact everything is normal like it used to be, just like in USA. Where in Canada is that in place, as never heard of that.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Not sure I would call it a scam. I would say they don’t necessarily have the brightest people working the trade-in program. My experience with them was very… errrr… frustrating. I was trading in my 14” MBP which was flawless since it never left the laptop stand (claim shell) or my home. The trade-in folks told me that I reported the wrong serial number and that they were going to give me few hundred less. Hearing some of the stories of people receiving their trade-ins back damaged, I went along with the trade-in. Well…. my value came back just $5.00 shy of what was originally quoted.

Again, I wouldn’t say a scam but more of a flawed process. I would follow the advice others provided and go to the store for in-person trade in.

Reactions: phrehdd

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
 and others making money off of 
did not become a conglomerated zillion-dollars company by being fair or honest.

(spell check really sucks on Monterey here)

Reactions: djinn

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have never done a trade in with Apple. I know the process of sending one's item for trade in to them for review then they decide the value. Is it possible to do a direct trade in at an Apple store? That is they will tell you what they are willing to value your property at for a trade in? I wonder if people wouldn't be wiser to back up their drives and sell their item in other ways than an Apple trade in.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, anytime I have a disagreement and it’s not going my way I’d call it a scam rather than trying to just find another solution and not work with that vendor anymore.

Reactions: Aka757 and NT1440

Aka757

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
Yes, anytime I have a disagreement and it’s not going my way I’d call it a scam rather than trying to just find another solution and not work with that vendor anymore.
Not only that, but this $2 trillion company has managed to build their entire market cap by deceiving their customers, despite being publicly traded, having thousands of employees, millions of customers, going through annual financial statement audits, quarterly financial statement reviews, and being subject to regulatory requirements in every country in which they operate!

Reactions: ericwn

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I recently did a trade-in with apple for a new iPad. I was originally quoted $315 and they lowered the value to $60 due to "bent device without evident screen lifting. I disputed the trade-in value because I saw another user had the same issue and was able to get the full value after complaining to CS and showing them them an article from Apple that says some variances in "flatness" of the 2018 iPad pros is normal. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're budging, they sent me this photo:

View attachment 2400362

This iPad was very minimally used over its lifespan and I can say any bend, if there was even one before I sent it to them was completely imperceptible. To make matters even worse, I originally sent them my smart folio and apple pencil for recycling with the iPad, and they have effectively stolen them from me as they did not send them back with the iPad after the trade-in was rejected.

Should I escalate this further?
Sorry but I do not remotely understand your point. It is a trade in, meaning they [in thise case Apple] make an offer and you accept or reject. Where does the word scam come in? If you reject the offer you just keep the device, hand it down to a friend/relative or sell it on something like CraigsList. In my life whining for more trade in value has never been what a trade in is.

Note that if your claims about how perfect the device is are true you should get lots more by selling it on something like CraigsList than you would from an Apple trade in.

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Sorry but I do not remotely understand your point. It is a trade in, meaning they [in thise case Apple] make an offer and you accept or reject. Where does the word scam come in? If you reject the offer you just keep the device, hand it down to a friend/relative or sell it on something like CraigsList. In my life whining for more trade in value has never been what a trade in is.

Note that if your claims about how perfect the device is are true you should get lots more by selling it on something like CraigsList than you would from an Apple trade in.
I am stating what someone today told me so I hope it is correct. When one does a trade in with Apple, they can find out the maximum value based on Apple's store website. You can do the trade their in a purchase which means - buy what you want and pay for it all. Send in your old device and whatever Apple feels it is worth, they will return that amount to you. The problem is that some feel Apple undervalues the item being traded in that is now in their hands, you already bought what you wanted at full price. So what is left is how much you will get back for your trade in. Someone please correct me if I was told incorrect info. Btw, I ask similar about just selling 3rd party and get the money in your hands before buying new.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Just did two mail in trade ins, two iPads for two new iPads. Used their boxes, got highest quoted trade in price and confirmed same after they received them. 😎

Bojack62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2024
Sounds like your trade-in didn't qualify for full trade-in price.
They valued at $0 and wanted me to donate for free. Why would they want a donation valued at $0? Came back with marks all over it. The back of iPad was covered in gray sticky substance.

• Wow

Bojack62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2024
I always go to the Apple Store in person to do my trade in, and Apple has always put the full trade in price quoted back on the debit card I used from my credit union, which post quicker than my credit card. I used to sell privately through Swappa, but now with more people scamming, I prefer the convenience of trading in through Apple in person, even if I do get a quote less than I would if I were to sell privately, the convenience to trade in to Apple is more convenien.
Next will trade in at store. Unless it includes a conditional reduction value at some future date.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Just traded my iPad in via mail and all went fine. Usually do trade in at the store though.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
FWIW, traded in my MBA a few weeks ago via shipping it and got the full value.
i also traded in an AW via shipping and got full value.
YMMV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.