Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use Apple Trade in again?

• Total voters

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have done trade-in with both Apple and T-Mobile. Each time I mailed in the device, I took photo’s of the device before packing and shipping it out. Thankfully I did not encounter any issues, but if I did, I was equipped with detailed photo’s of the device condition in case I had to dispute.

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
I may be trading in my iPhone 12 for the new 16 in September. If buying from the Apple store, do they allow you to hand over your existing phone a few days after purchase? I prefer to transfer data from one handset to the other, but if trading in at the time of purchase I guess that can't be done? Would the alternative be an iCloud back up prior to going to the store to trade in?
You can normally trigger the transfer then there as part of the purchase support and then leave the old one with them when it's completed. Took me 20 minutes last time I did it

Reactions: Big Stevie

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
i was going to trade in my  mac mini 202sumting M1
but i might need that when  discontinues their fake support for this model
somehow  computers, devices and things excel after they are deemed unsuitable for their needs.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
i was going to trade in my  mac mini 202sumting M1
but i might need that when  discontinues their fake support for this model
somehow  computers, devices and things excel after they are deemed unsuitable for their needs.
What?
Scratch Head.gif

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
The best part about Pawn shops is that you have 30 days to buy it back if you like. A pretty sweet feature if you ask me.
Yeah, if you like giving your tech away for pittance. Don't know where you live, but pawn shops have no 30 day policy here. If you go to buy it back, even the next day...you'll be paying more than what you pawned it for. Not a good deal if you ask me.

Directly selling will always be the best deal, then trade-in. Most times most company's that take tech trade-ins give you more than Apple is willing to. If I was going to trade in my M1 iPad Pro towards a new one, Apple offers $360.00, while BestBuy offers $400.00.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I may be trading in my iPhone 12 for the new 16 in September. If buying from the Apple store, do they allow you to hand over your existing phone a few days after purchase? I prefer to transfer data from one handset to the other, but if trading in at the time of purchase I guess that can't be done? Would the alternative be an iCloud back up prior to going to the store to trade in?
Yes - I believe Apple's policy is you have 7 days post-purchase to do a trade-in and have it applied to the previous purchase as a decrease in purchase price. At least that's what it was recently in Los Angeles when I did it for my iPhone 15 Pro Max (traded in my iPhone 13 Pro).

If you do this, regardless of how you paid for the initial purchase, you should have the trade-in applied to your debit card of your main bank account if you can. The trade-in value then comes in as cash (although it takes a few days to post). Vs if you do it against your credit card, you just get a credit / refund posted to your credit card (which also makes you lose rewards points, of the amount of the trade-in, that you got from the full purchase in the first place). It doesn't matter what card you actually used to do the purchase - just tell the Apple employee you want it on your debit card.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Yes - I believe Apple's policy is you have 7 days post-purchase to do a trade-in and have it applied to the previous purchase as a decrease in purchase price. At least that's what it was recently in Los Angeles when I did it for my iPhone 15 Pro Max (traded in my iPhone 13 Pro).

If you do this, regardless of how you paid for the initial purchase, you should have the trade-in applied to your debit card of your main bank account if you can. The trade-in value then comes in as cash (although it takes a few days to post). Vs if you do it against your credit card, you just get a credit / refund posted to your credit card (which also makes you lose rewards points, of the amount of the trade-in, that you got from the full purchase in the first place). It doesn't matter what card you actually used to do the purchase - just tell the Apple employee you want it on your debit card.
Yes. Exactly how I did it when I traded in my iPhone 8 Plus for my 13PM. You get to set up your new phone from the old one then take your trade-in back to the store and get your money. Good stuff!👍🏻

Reactions: Christopher Kim

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My last trade in with Apple went without issue, but it took them so damn long to confirm approval of device and finally credit my card. It was long enough to have me worried.

I think I'll probably do my trades in store for now on.

BTW ... Samsung are quick af with trade ins.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I highly recommend trading in at a brick and mortar Apple store. Takes maybe 10 minutes and you get your credit on the spot. If you can't, just try to sell it locally.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Yes. Exactly how I did it when I traded in my iPhone 8 Plus for my 13PM. You get to set up your new phone from the old one then take your trade-in back to the store and get your money. Good stuff!👍🏻
Yes, should say, I did this as well. And part of why I like doing it this way. You can do a phone-to-phone transfer (vs iCloud backup restore), make sure it's working properly, before wiping the old phone and then bringing it in for trade-in.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I highly recommend trading in at a brick and mortar Apple store. Takes maybe 10 minutes and you get your credit on the spot. If you can't, just try to sell it locally.

True, I agree - but easier said than done. When you look at the list of Apple stores, you can see that this is not so simple for a lot of buyers. e.g., there are no Apple stores in Montana, one in the states of Arkansas, Kansas, and Alaska. And so on.

12aklabs

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2022
I did a in-store trade in of an iPad. At first the program they were using would not give my the full value. Said it had burn in. What it was seeing was a shadow of their own device taking a picture of the iPad screen. Once the tech took the picture with no shadow the device approved full value trade in.

It pays to take ur machine into the store.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Do you have to be buying a new phone to be able to sell your old phone to Apple? What I mean is will Apple simply buy your phone off you even if your not buying a new one, and pay you the same value?

sk1985

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2006
No issues with Apple trade ins but I do hear that can depend on geographical region. Some regions have better 3rd party companies doing the inspection and payments than others. I usually get with in +/- ($10-$20) of what I would get on eBay after shipping and fees. You can get a little bit more off of Facebook or Craigslist but I hate dealing with those people. Too many scammers, low ballers, and sketchy types.

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
Apple is about to give me about the same as I would get selling third party so it's a no brainer. But yeah, I'd do it in store from what I've read.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Thanks, do you know if the gift card is of the same value as trade in, or do they offer you more if trading for a new phone?
I believe that some times (not all the time), the value you get when "Trading in with a new purchase" is higher than if you're just straight trading-in to Apple (and getting a gift card).

I don't know if there's a hard and fast rule for it, but for iPhones especially, I feel like I've seen the trade-in where it's higher if you do so connected with a new purchase, vs not.

I'm not 100% sure though... maybe someone else knows definitively.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Apple Trade-in is PERFECT for devices that look fine and seem to operate 100% well, but actually have minor or infrequent quirks that the Genius Bar refuses to acknowledge or do anything about, but that you'd still feel bad about giving to a friend or family member or selling on eBay. I've done that with an iPhone and an iPad and it worked out reasonably well. Definitely not for devices that work 100% sans anything similar to the aforementioned.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apple Trade-in is PERFECT for devices that look fine and seem to operate 100% well, but actually have minor or infrequent quirks that the Genius Bar refuses to acknowledge or do anything about, but that you'd still feel bad about giving to a friend or family member or selling on eBay. I've done that with an iPhone and an iPad and it worked out reasonably well. Definitely not for devices that work 100% sans anything similar to the aforementioned.
I did exactly this with a 2018 MBP that very sporadically would repeat characters on the keyboard. I didn't want the hassle of dealing with someone claiming it not as described on eBay so I traded it to Apple (in the store, not mailed in.) At the time the trade value was good enough that I'd have made about the same money after all of eBay's fees so the hassle-free option was well worthwhile.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
The only way I would do a trade-in is if I could hand-deliver the device to a person and have them examine it, while I watched, and then sign for the device. There are just too many variables involved.
Agreed. The only time I have ever done a trade-in is physically at an Apple Store and that's when you immediately get an evaluation.

As I understand, if you mail your device in for trade-in, it is a third-party company that make the evaluation. Furthermore, it is possible for the device to be dinged/damaged during shipment and I suppose the evaluator won't be making the determination whether it was the shipper or you that caused the damage.

I'm lucky to live in a place with easy access to two different Apple Stores so I've not had to contemplate doing a mail-in evaluation.

Reactions: Iwavvns

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I echo others here. I have always done in-store trade-in. It is fast and hassle-free.
Agreed! And the good thing is you don't have to commit to it. You can have the staff evaluate in-store and they can tell you what price they'd offer and you can decide right there and then if you want to go ahead with the trade-in or not.

Of course, not everyone lives close to an Apple Store. I'm lucky to live close to two!

Reactions: ndouglas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.