Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this 4k@120hz tweak work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 170 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Can not get the right Adapter

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
Same in Europe… order a cheap Windows laptop from Amazon, perform the flash, then return it. It’s a viable alternative but also overkill… plus knowing that Amazon trash a lot of perfectly working returns is just heart-breaking (not just in terms of the environment).
Personally I wouldn't recommend trying to do this with Amazon in the US at least.
Best Buy will just put it back on the shelf as Open Box so, at least environmentally speaking, it's not THAT bad.
Another option is just buying an Intel Mac from Apple/The Apple Store (new or refurb) and then returning it within the return window. Heck, if it's a refurb you don't even have to feel that guilty! ;)
Obviously how someone feels about the ethics of these actions and whether or not they are willing to do it is something only they can decide.

Technotron

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2023
Safe to say that any of the above feel like complete overkill… wish I could help with the flashing, it literally takes a few minutes

hPandaa1

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2023
Can I ship an adapter for one of you guys to flash? I’m in california and dont have a compatible windows pc nor do I know anyone who does.
I would just go to a library, computer repair or local IT shop and ask if someone could either give me access to a PC, or just directly perform the flash for me. I would expect that someone would be willing to help me out. If it was a small shop, I would perhaps also buy a small thing as patronage for their service.

I can imagine that distances between towns are quite a bit larger in the US, but do you not have access to any of those somewhere nearby? Frankly speaking, it seems like quite an American solution (read overkill, jk) to buy a whole computer and return it just for flashing a small adapter :p. It also seems slower, and quite a lot of hassle, as in you have to go through the process of ordering, shipping both ways and waiting for your refund.

Last edited:

Technotron

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2023
@AironMan do you face the issue of having to turn off/turn on the dock and/or having to open the lid of your MacBook upon reconnecting it to your TB4 dock before getting an image on your tv? I am using the altered EDID (different product ID) and didn't have this with just the CM cable. Thoughts?

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
Safe to say that any of the above feel like complete overkill… wish I could help with the flashing, it literally takes a few minutes
Yep. Just like it was complete overkill having to install Windows via Bootcamp on my girl's Retina MacBook. She had ~10GB free on a 256GB drive, so to safely make space I had to:
1. Fix her time machine backups (they were way out of date and TM drive needed to be re-paired)
2. Create a cloud backup via OneDrive (in case the local backup failed)
3. Delete her Photo library (to make temporary space)
4. Update to Big Sur
5. Install Windows
6. Download the flasher
7. Delete Windows
8. Put her photo library back

All in all, it was all stuff that needed to be done at some point for her computer to be more usable so all's well that ends well but FFS it was a lot of work that took several days all just to get one little program running on Windows despite already having both a Windows gaming PC (with no display capable USB-C) and Windows VMs on my Mac in my house :/

ChanandlerMurielBong

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
Yep. Just like it was complete overkill having to install Windows via Bootcamp on my girl's Retina MacBook. She had ~10GB free on a 256GB drive, so to safely make space I had to:
1. Fix her time machine backups (they were way out of date and TM drive needed to be re-paired)
2. Create a cloud backup via OneDrive (in case the local backup failed)
3. Delete her Photo library (to make temporary space)
4. Update to Big Sur
5. Install Windows
6. Download the flasher
7. Delete Windows
8. Put her photo library back

All in all, it was all stuff that needed to be done at some point for her computer to be more usable so all's well that ends well but FFS it was a lot of work that took several days all just to get one little program running on Windows despite already having both a Windows gaming PC (with no display capable USB-C) and Windows VMs on my Mac in my house :/
I am gonna do the same to work’s MacBook … the overkill in my scenario is

1. Boot camp isn’t working (can’t download windows support - it exits. Maybe company security?!?!) so I gotta use my girlfriend’s windows (no dp-usbc port) to download Rufus and make a bootable usb.

2. Follow an online guide how to perform the installation without boot camp

3. All the stuff you said.

Sooo… good luck to me when I return from my weekend trip

dinosauradventure

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
@AironMan do you face the issue of having to turn off/turn on the dock and/or having to open the lid of your MacBook upon reconnecting it to your TB4 dock before getting an image on your tv? I am using the altered EDID (different product ID) and didn't have this with just the CM cable. Thoughts?
I have the same problem, not using a dock though just the adapter. It has woken from sleep properly maybe 3 times, but usually I get no signal or “invalid format” and have to open lid and reconnect. Tested 3 different HDMI cables and same issue.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Personally I wouldn't recommend trying to do this with Amazon in the US at least.
Best Buy will just put it back on the shelf as Open Box so, at least environmentally speaking, it's not THAT bad.
Another option is just buying an Intel Mac from Apple/The Apple Store (new or refurb) and then returning it within the return window. Heck, if it's a refurb you don't even have to feel that guilty! ;)
Obviously how someone feels about the ethics of these actions and whether or not they are willing to do it is something only they can decide.
Why return? An Windows is on most case needed when "hack/tweak" something. Buy a cheap Windows Laptop and hold it! Iam also only own a Surface Mini 2 for those things.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I have the same problem, not using a dock though just the adapter. It has woken from sleep properly maybe 3 times, but usually I get no signal or “invalid format” and have to open lid and reconnect. Tested 3 different HDMI cables and same issue.
Power on the Tv before connecting the cable helps!

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Possibly. Do we know if the LG or any TV reports DSC on screen?

4L10 (35.56 Gbps) on the HDMI 2.1 side of the adapter is almost enough bandwidth for 4K120 10bpc (1188MHz 35.64 Gbps) so it maybe doesn't require DSC. Check the timing info of the current resolution in SwitchResX to see what pixel clock is being used for the 4K120 mode. It could be less than the usual 1188MHz value that is used by HDMI.

Press 11111 when hovering on tuner programm setting give system diagnostic interface where HDMI information's is also there. But yeah not the information for the DP-Transportstream when the VMM6100 convert it.

Attachments

• IMG_3408.jpeg
    IMG_3408.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 216

ChanandlerMurielBong

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
Is this method patchble in future macOS versions, because I think when they find out your achievement they will try to block it..

Like the jailbreak scene for example?

Technotron

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2023
This whole thing is such a fringe case, it isn't even gonna be a blip on Apple's radar haha...

ChanandlerMurielBong

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
This whole thing is such a fringe case, it isn't even gonna be a blip on Apple's radar haha...
The entire M2 campaign , relies on that HDMI 2.1… it’s their whole sell point… so I am guessing they will try to block it… as they intentionally blocked M1 machines programmatically from this feature

Reactions: zapmymac

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I
The entire M2 campaign , relies on that HDMI 2.1… it’s their whole sell point… so I am guessing they will try to block it… as they intentionally blocked M1 machines programmatically from this feature
Don't think so. The crazy thing is, also an M2 Pro/Max can not get over 4k@60hz over USB-C/TB > HDMI Adapter. I think they dont care about it. Iam hoping the next Mac will come with TB5 and DP 2.0 so we have a lot more bandwidth. I think then I will also upgrade. Iam waiting for 6k-8k@120hz on a 42 Inch OLED to get my best Working Setup :)

JWort93

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Dangit, got a VMM7100 in my adapter from Amazon. Time to order another one and cross my fingers.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
U can also search for another brand with VMM6100. I think it will also work there. But no Guarantee !

ChanandlerMurielBong

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
I

Don't think so. The crazy thing is, also an M2 Pro/Max can not get over 4k@60hz over USB-C/TB > HDMI Adapter. I think they dont care about it. Iam hoping the next Mac will come with TB5 and DP 2.0 so we have a lot more bandwidth. I think then I will also upgrade. Iam waiting for 6k-8k@120hz on a 42 Inch OLED to get my best Working Setup :)
They could give hdmi 2.1 on 1st gen and they didn’t because they HAD to differentiate somehow m2 machines. It was 2021 and a 4.000€ product for god shakes with a machine more than capable. I told myself I would wait (bec after all these years, I believe that I know their marketing tactics) but unfortunately my 2012 pro retina died after 10 years of service.

Also 4k 120hz is the dream setup for me which you guys achieved and really can’t thank you enough.

6k 8k 144hz 240hz etc etc don’t interest me ATTT ALL! so overkill and so much proceesing power for nothing imho… doesn’t even worth the money and the time you are gonna spent on selling/buying machines (especially for a 42 inch , I mean wtf dude 😅)

Reactions: zapmymac

geowars2

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
The number of users wanting 120hz 4K via HDMI on M1 devices is a drop in the ocean. The number of users willing to go to the extremes of using custom EDIDs is of a magnitude lower. As much as Apple love selling new devices, this would be an extremely low and unlikely move.

Apple will not intentionally block this unless there is a technical reason why allowing it would be an issue (like if it could cause damage) but it's extremely unlikely there is.

I'm not sure we know that they intentionally blocked this from working on M1 macs in the first instance. It's also possible that it's a bug/quirk that they just don't care to fix, because there's not enough appetite to do so. Either way it's still disappointing, given the amount of money these computers cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: hPandaa1

cheeseburgerer

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2023
U can also search for another brand with VMM6100. I think it will also work there. But no Guarantee !
I want to say thank you guys so much. Finally there's a way to get 120hz on tv without getting a mini Pro.

I ordered an Ugreen USB-typec to hdmi2.1 adapter (with 3 extra USB-A ports) because i can't get Cable Matters in China. Customer Service told me this adapter is of VMM6100. And the Cable Matters' firmware update tool confirmed it does .

I flashed it using cable matters firmware following your steps. The flashing process seemed successfully done, but the cable matters firmware did not match with Ugreen adapter. The adatper became unresponsive after replugged in. Not sure whether it's due to the brand difference, or to the 3 extra usb ports which Ugreen has.

I forgot to backup the firmware before flashing. Customer Service sent a stock firmware file. Luckily, I brought it back to life after flash with Cable Matters firmware update tool. However, the tool did not show the version and status of the firmware anymore, just a blank window.

Then I followed the EDID editing instructions, hoping the Ugreen stock firmware could act as the cable matters one does. But to no avail, as expected.

I don't think Ugreen would do any reconfiguration to the firmware to adjust it to Mac mini. So maybe the only option for me is to order the cable matters adapter from oversea which costs a lot more money due to the delivery fee and over one month's waiting. Still it's all worthy of the money and waiting. 120hz feels like a different machine, especially when I use it with trackpad. Thanks again for all your guys' contribution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.