Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this 4k@120hz tweak work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 169 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Can not get the right Adapter

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters

ThomBoh

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
VRR does not work with this solution. And apple does have an bug with HDR and HiDPI since macOS 14.1
Thanks! VRR doesn't matter to me, and I'm aware of the HDR/HiDPI thing. If that's really the only technical difference between this solution and having native HDMI 2.1 as an M3 MBPro does, I'm sold, going and picking up a C3 today!

Re: the HDR/HiDPI bug, it just sounds like I need to be selective about what macOS versions I update to until the bug is fixed in a new version down the road? I'm currently on Ventura 13.0 and Ventura 13.2 on my two M1 machines. Am I correct to assume that everything will work on these versions without having to upgrade to a new MacOS version (but not too new as to encounter the HDR/HiDPI bug)? Or are 13.0/13.2 old enough that they might not work with these solutions?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
@AironMan does the thread title/wiki need to be updated to reflect M3 as well?

I did a quick search and only see that @tman2damax has used/tried an M3 Air with this dongle solution. I was hoping the M3 architecture allowed for more flexible dongle options for 4K120+

Reactions: AironMan

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Thanks! VRR doesn't matter to me, and I'm aware of the HDR/HiDPI thing. If that's really the only technical difference between this solution and having native HDMI 2.1 as an M3 MBPro does, I'm sold, going and picking up a C3 today!

Re: the HDR/HiDPI bug, it just sounds like I need to be selective about what macOS versions I update to until the bug is fixed in a new version down the road? I'm currently on Ventura 13.0 and Ventura 13.2 on my two M1 machines. Am I correct to assume that everything will work on these versions without having to upgrade to a new MacOS version (but not too new as to encounter the HDR/HiDPI bug)? Or are 13.0/13.2 old enough that they might not work with these solutions?
Its best when u use 14.0 if HiDPI and HDR with 4k120hz is needed

tman2damax

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2023
You can also increase scaling for the HDR option to appear. For me it appears at 120% scaling on BetterDisplay.
Completely missed the big warning that HDR with scaling has been broken since 14.1, shows how much I actually use HDR given it's been 5 months until I noticed lol
Plz use an 60 W Adapter or more and reports if this helps
I have a 67w adapter on order, and will hopefully report if it's fixed or not after a week or so of using it.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Completely missed the big warning that HDR with scaling has been broken since 14.1, shows how much I actually use HDR given it's been 5 months until I noticed lol

I have a 67w adapter on order, and will hopefully report if it's fixed or not after a week or so of using it.
When u want to game or view a film and want HDR u can disable HiDPI. HiDPI is only needed in Desktop with small fonts.

Last edited:

reiden

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2024
hi! total noob here, few questions:
1. Can I use an ubb-c to hdmi cable and not the adapter + cable? e.g. this one.
2. Someone above commented that they updated anker adapter with the parallels - so it is possible? in the opening post it says i need windows machine only.
3. Is anyone selling ready to use updated cables? seems like a business opportunity, haha.

darksavior

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
hi! total noob here, few questions:
1. Can I use an ubb-c to hdmi cable and not the adapter + cable? e.g. this one.
2. Someone above commented that they updated anker adapter with the parallels - so it is possible? in the opening post it says i need windows machine only.
3. Is anyone selling ready to use updated cables? seems like a business opportunity, haha.
Someone here recommended to use Parallels with the VmmHIDTool app from the microsoft store to flash the firmware and it worked for me. I'm using the Anker usb-c to hdmi adapter. Make sure you give Parallels permission to always use the adapter.

My only nitpick is that it gives me a black screen at 4K 144Hz, but I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the firmware.

Last edited:

wsctomy

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2023
using 201310, but still have issue with sleep and wake
macbook pro 14 m1 max , hdmi 2.1 cable to Phillips 27m1f5800

with no software , monitor 90% cannot wake by itself, probably something about the scanning session

After installing betterdisplay, display wakes , but it turn into a generic display with only 720p after wakes

everytime needs to disconnect and replug adapter again

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
using 201310, but still have issue with sleep and wake
macbook pro 14 m1 max , hdmi 2.1 cable to Phillips 27m1f5800

with no software , monitor 90% cannot wake by itself, probably something about the scanning session

After installing betterdisplay, display wakes , but it turn into a generic display with only 720p after wakes

everytime needs to disconnect and replug adapter again
U can use BD for reset the adapter. Its described in the OP, with linked to the solution here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e.2381664/page-50?post=32943267#post-32943267

wsctomy

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2023

ThomBoh

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
I'm using the Dell HD22Q dock with my LG C3, and did the EDID mod with BetterDisplay. I get 120 Hz but color is RGB 10b 4L10 SDR (and yes I have PC mode on). How do I get full 4:4:4?

ThomBoh

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
I'm using the Dell HD22Q dock with my LG C3, and did the EDID mod with BetterDisplay. I get 120 Hz but color is RGB 10b 4L10 SDR (and yes I have PC mode on). How do I get full 4:4:4?
Or does RGB 10b 4L10 mean full 4:4:4?

ericqu

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
Add a working DP (4k/144hz on Asus Rog Strix XG32UQ):
I am using an Anker hdmi to type-c adapter, with VMM7100 chip.
Flashed using VMware (win 11) following the instructions.
Worked with a Razer Thunderbolt 4 Dock.

Last edited:
Reactions: AironMan

unterhauser

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
Hi, first time chatter here. I've been trying to find a solution to use 4K 120hz on my monitor with an M1 Max via HDMI 2.1 since the DP port is already occupied. This might sound like a stupid question, but what prevents me from using a Thunderbolt to female DP adapter and then combine it with a DP to HDMI 2.1 cable (both rated for 4k 240hz, 32gbps)? Doesn't that simply trick the Macbook to send the regular DP protocol instead of HDMI, which isn't limited to 60hz?

Here the two products in question:

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
At the current level of development, does this solution allow outputting Dolby Vision and/or Dolby Atmos over the USB-C->HDMI cable/adapter?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Thanks. I'm curious then how to interpret the "4L10" part? I get that 10b is 10 bit. I've in the past seen "8b 3L6". What does the 3L6 mean? this is still 4:4:4 too?
It refers to the Fixed Rate Link of the HDMI signal.

The first number refers to the number of data lanes (4 lanes) and the last number is referring to the Lane Rate (in this case 10Gbps) for a total bandwidth of 4 x 10Gbps = 40Gbps.

Which is enough for 4K resolution, 120Hz frame rate, 4:4:4 subsampling and 10-bit depth.

Reactions: ThomBoh

tman2damax

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2023
So I started using this 67w adapter with a 100w capable C-to-C cable on Saturday and when I woke my machine today I got the gray screen issue 🫤. No different than the Apple 30w adapter, issue would happen about every other or every third day with that one as well.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
It refers to the Fixed Rate Link of the HDMI signal.
This one explains FRL for HDMI 2.1:
https://www.murideo.com/uploads/5/2/9/0/52903137/frl_data_chart_murideo.pdf
It confusingly equates the 3 lane FRL1 and FRL2 modes with TMDS modes?

FRL2 is 3 lanes of 6 Gbps which matches the TMDS bit rate of HDMI 2.0 but TMDS modes uses 8b/10b encoding while FRL uses 16b/18b.
FRL1 is 3 lanes of 3 Gbps. There's no TMDS mode that matches that. HDMI 1.4 has 3 lanes of 3.4 Gbps TMDS.

The pdf might be saying that the TMDS fall back modes can use any bit rate up to 6 Gbps which would include the 3.4 Gbps of HDMI 1.4 and 1.65 Gbps of HDMI 1.0/DVI.

The purpose of 3 lane FRL modes is to work with cables that don't have a high enough quality in the TMDS clock line for the 4th lane?

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
So I started using this 67w adapter with a 100w capable C-to-C cable on Saturday and when I woke my machine today I got the gray screen issue 🫤. No different than the Apple 30w adapter, issue would happen about every other or every third day with that one as well.
That's crazy, for me and some others there is no standby issue with that model, but for u and some others still present. I dont know why.

i change the OP with that informations, also that the VMM7100 resetter only works with Model 201388-A

ihyder

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2016
I want to express my gratitude to everyone here, especially the thread owners and all contributors, for assisting me in finding the solution.

I am thrilled to announce that I have successfully achieved running both my gaming PC and MacBook Pro M1 at 4K@120Hz with HDR on my LG C2 42-inch display.

In my current setup, my MacBook is powered by a single USB-C connection to the display, allowing it to run at 4K@120Hz while simultaneously charging and sharing peripherals such as the keyboard, mouse, and webcam with my gaming PC.

With just a double press of my control key, I can effortlessly switch between the two devices, both operating at 4K@120Hz.

My objective was to find a streamlined single-cable solution for my MacBook Pro M1 to seamlessly integrate into my KVM setup with my gaming PC on my LG C2 42-inch display, while sharing all peripheral devices. I'm pleased to announce that I have achieved this goal. Now, I can easily transition between my Mac and work laptop by simply plugging and unplugging a single USB-C cable, while still enjoying the convenience of sharing all my devices with my gaming PC, and maintaining a 4K@120Hz HDR display. This community has played an invaluable role in helping me reach this milestone. Thank you all.
@AironMan

Attachments

• IMG_3482.jpeg
    IMG_3482.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3470.jpeg
    IMG_3470.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3471.jpeg
    IMG_3471.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3515.jpeg
    IMG_3515.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 63

Strawbee

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2020
Hey all, hoping for a little help. I’m using the recommended anker usb-c to hdmi adapter (vmm7100) I flashed it on Mac via parallels following all directions.

I’ve confirmed after flash that the firmware is now 7.02.112

I’m only showing refresh rate options of 24, 25 and 30Hertz no matter what resolution I choose under system preferences/Displays.

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

I also have the cable matters adapter handy but don’t have accesss to an actual pc

2021 MacBook Pro m1
Lg c2 42 inch

Last edited:

Strawbee

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2020
Hey all, hoping for a little help. I’m using the recommended anker usb-c to hdmi adapter (vmm7100) I flashed it on Mac via parallels following all directions.

I’ve confirmed after flash that the firmware is now 7.02.112

I’m only showing refresh rate options of 24, 25 and 30Hertz no matter what resolution I choose under system preferences/Displays.

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

I also have the cable matters adapter handy but don’t have accesss to an actual pc

2021 MacBook Pro m1
Lg c2 42 inch
I finally figured it out!!!!

I missed the part where on my LG C2 I needed to turn on a setting for deep color 4k, it’s right next to an option for 4444 pass through. Once I turned on the 4K deep color setting on my tv the. 120hertz finally appears in better display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.