Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this 4k@120hz tweak work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 169 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Can not get the right Adapter

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters

odebri

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2024
Hi All,

Apologies if this question has already been asked/answered, but is there still no solution to get 120 Hz refresh rate with HiDPI and HDR in Sonoma?
I can only run my LG C1 48 inch at 60 Hz when using a resolution with HiDPI and HDR enabled. The only way to get 120 Hz is to switch out of HiDPI mode or run at a resolution of 1440p or lower.

Using Cable Matters 201310 with LG C1 48" and M1 Max 16"

Thanks for all your help so far!!

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Hi All,

Apologies if this question has already been asked/answered, but is there still no solution to get 120 Hz refresh rate with HiDPI and HDR in Sonoma?
I can only run my LG C1 48 inch at 60 Hz when using a resolution with HiDPI and HDR enabled. The only way to get 120 Hz is to switch out of HiDPI mode or run at a resolution of 1440p or lower.

Using Cable Matters 201310 with LG C1 48" and M1 Max 16"

Thanks for all your help so far!!
Why do you even need HDR?

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
So my DELL-WD19TB lately has been speeding up the fans out of nowhere. Any ideas why and what can do to fix this? Everything seems to be working correctly.

l9o

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
I've been trying to get my new AW3225QF monitor running with my M3 MacBook Pro and a dock over HDMI 2.1.

When I connect the monitor directly to my MacBook over an HDMI 2.1 cable, it works fine at 4K 240Hz (even with HDR and VRR on). However, I haven't yet found a dock that can achieve this.

Right now I have tried a dock by StarTech (model 132N-TB4USB4DOCK): DisplayPort 1.4 on it is limited to 120Hz (no VRR). When I try using the HDMI port, it's limited to 60Hz and it disconnects shortly after the monitor is plugged in.

Is it even possible to drive this monitor at 240Hz through a TB4 dock? Would the flashing of adapters discussed on this thread help? Has anyone here tried a similar setup?

Apologies if this has either been discussed or is just tangential to the topic of this thread - happy to move the discussion elsewhere if this is not the best place.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I've been trying to get my new AW3225QF monitor running with my M3 MacBook Pro and a dock over HDMI 2.1.

When I connect the monitor directly to my MacBook over an HDMI 2.1 cable, it works fine at 4K 240Hz (even with HDR and VRR on). However, I haven't yet found a dock that can achieve this.

Right now I have tried a dock by StarTech (model 132N-TB4USB4DOCK): DisplayPort 1.4 on it is limited to 120Hz (no VRR). When I try using the HDMI port, it's limited to 60Hz and it disconnects shortly after the monitor is plugged in.

Is it even possible to drive this monitor at 240Hz through a TB4 dock? Would the flashing of adapters discussed on this thread help? Has anyone here tried a similar setup?

Apologies if this has either been discussed or is just tangential to the topic of this thread - happy to move the discussion elsewhere if this is not the best place.
U have to connect a flashed Adapter to one of the TB4 Ports on your TB4Dock, than u will get 4k@120hz 4:4:4. Plz read the OP

graphnic

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
I see there is an update to say that the Cable Matters 201310-BLK can be flashed 'directly'. Does that mean that it only requires a USB C connection on the PC and not a USBC-PD connection? I only have a PC with a standard USB-C port! Thanks.

Technotron

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2023
Sorry if I missed the info in this thread: will a MacBook Pro 14/16 with M2 Pro chip support 4k/120Hz with FULL RGB/HDR using one of the mentioned USB-C to HDMI 2.1 cable/dock solutions?

Cheers!

graphnic

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
For anyone finding this via Google etc:
The Cable Matters 201310-BLK CANNOT be flashed via Parallels on a Mac (confirmed by CM Support).
The Cable Matters ‎201388-A CAN be flashed via Parallels on a Mac.

To get 4k 120Hz working if are running an LG evo C3 OLED TV, you need to go to:
General > External Devices > HDMI Settings > 4:4:4 Passthrough (Set to ENABLED)
General > External Devices > HDMI Settings > HDMI Deep Colour > 4K (Set to ENABLED)

Otherwise, 30Hz is the max MacOS can see.

I have also found https://betterdisplay.pro/ very helpful. You can set custom HiDPI scaling resolutions not otherwise available in MacOS.

Last edited:

bsullivan

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2024
Hi,
I'm going crazy trying to find a solution for this. (M1 Macbook Pro, LG C1)

I have a windows PC with a 3080TI but it doesn't have a thunderbolt output.

For the firmware flashing part, Do you think I could accomplish this using an adaptor plugged into the cable matters dongle?

GPU [DisplayPort] -> Displayport to Thunderbolt Cable -> Thunderbolt female/male Adaptor -> Cable Matters Dongle [Thunderbolt to HDMI] -> HDMI to TV

---
Or, ideally, is there an adaptor that has the correct firmware loaded out of the box?

Maybe the Parallels solution is best for me, IDK

phfan

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2024
Hello, sorry if it has already been asked, can I just buy a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 cable (not an adapter) to get 4k 120hz 4:4:4?

ThomBoh

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
I bought the CableMatters adapter and seemed to have successfully flashed the firmware in the first post using the instructions in the .zip. It says at the end that it finished. But after that, the dongle seems completely bricked. Doesn't get recognized by the computer or TV, and when I try and open the FW flashing tool again, it doesn't recognize it.

Got another one and tried again, got the same result: bricked.

The adapter p/n is 201388-A. Is this the wrong one? Is there any way to unbrick these two bricked adapters now?

Last edited:

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
The adapter p/n is 201388-A. Is this the wrong one? Is there any way to unbrick these two bricked adapters now?
Are you sure it's a 201388-A (VMM7100) and not 201388-GRY (VMM6100)? You could/can still receive the original VMM6100 version in some territories even though the product listing has been updated.

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
For anyone finding this via Google etc:
The Cable Matters 201310-BLK CANNOT be flashed via Parallels on a Mac (confirmed by CM Support).
The Cable Matters ‎201388-GRY CAN be flashed via Parallels on a Mac.
You mean 201388-A, 201388-GRY is VMM6100 and Parallels won't 'see' it.

ThomBoh

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
Are you sure it's a 201388-A (VMM7100) and not 201388-GRY (VMM6100)? You could/can still receive the original VMM6100 version in some territories even though the product listing has been updated.
I'm as sure as I can be -- it says 201388-A on the box for both units. I'm in California, if that matters. Purchased from Amazon.

Any advice? Any idea why 1) the firmware flashing process did not work (even though it said it completed successfully), and 2) if there's any way to revert these bricked adapters back to how they were before? They were pretty expensive!

I would really like to have a plug and play adapter that does not require me to use BetterDisplay, but I don't want to keep buying and bricking $40 adapters trying to get them to work :/

phfan

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2024
Complete success. Thanks @AironMan for the step-by-step instructions and the firmware update for the 201388-GRY!

View attachment 2181149

One annoyance though is that Config Protection does not seem to properly protect HDR status and I have to re-enable that after every sleep. I'll fix that in an update as it can't stay like this!

Note: I use a Philips 9506 mini-LED TV, but it seems to behave the same way as the LG C2 in this regard.
can you tell the code you used on remote to get that info please?

Last edited:

CaesarXCII

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2022
I have a super weird issue that nobody else is reporting as far as I can see.
I’m using LG C2 and the Cabble Matters adapters, flashed for 120Hz with a M2 Mac Mini.
It seems like the « signal » doesn’t fit my screen, that is, the top bar is cropped, so is the bottom of the screen.

I don’t have the issue if I connect directly via HDMI (but then, no 120Hz).
This is super annoying and really makes it harder to use. This is less pronounced if I use 1920x1080 (this is how it is in the attached picture). As 3840x2160, well I cannot see the top bar AT ALL.
Any idea?
image.jpg

CaesarXCII

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2022
Two hours trying to fix it and obviously I find the solution a few minutes after my post.
Leaving it just in case anybody encounters the same problem:
On the LG Settings: Picture>Aspect Ratio>Just Scan>On (was set to Auto, off results in the same cropped screen)

Reactions: madfcat

dallas39

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
Hi I am new here

So I bought a Moshou cable half year ago, it claimed that it was VMM7100.
It was not a dongle but a HDMI to USB-C cable, all things work fine (4K 120hz, 10bit HiDPI) except No signal always appears
I sometimes have to wait for minutes to wait for my LG C3 to finally show my M1 Pro's screen

Is there a solution to it or are there ways for me to flash new firmware on this Moshou cable?

The thread is discussing on many solutions and can anyone kindly tell me what is the near perfect solution on 4k120hz without any no signal issue?
I am open to buy new dongles/cables (probably from cablematters) or flash any thing, its just that I am getting lost on the thread

thanks in advance!

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I’m using LG C2 and the Cabble Matters adapters, flashed for 120Hz with a M2 Mac Mini.
It seems like the « signal » doesn’t fit my screen, that is, the top bar is cropped, so is the bottom of the screen.

This is super annoying and really makes it harder to use. This is less pronounced if I use 1920x1080 (this is how it is in the attached picture). As 3840x2160, well I cannot see the top bar AT ALL.
Any idea? View attachment 2376903
U hace to go to C2 burn in settings and disable picture moving, also u have to enable HDMI input to PC or 4:4:4

Jashi

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023

Any idea? View attachment 2376903
Try setting the hdmi signal type to PC if you have not done so.
EDIT: nvm just noticed your other messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.