Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlbertoQuemada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Hi, I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with a AMD RX560 and now I am going to have another one from other computer, my question is if I can put them together inside and how do they work? I know SLI does not work on Mac but I don't know if there is something similar or the cards just work individual. Should I do it ? or it isn't worth it.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Depending on what your usage plan/need is, sometimes adding a video I/O card (like the AJA KONA or Blackmagic DeckLink) is more helpful than a second GPU. Many are lower slot height (single slot) and do not require x16 (most are x4). There are ways to use these as a second monitor output. AJA used to offer a preference pane install to further control the output/monitor and Blackmagic does similar. Possibly worth looking into, especially since a lot of older single-slot cards do not seem to be working well with newer ones in Mojave betas.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
black magic cards only help with video editing apps not general use. (almost only video editing)
as SLI is mentioned id gess the question is about games? more than video editing?

for apps that will use dual cards it's a kind of fun setups no extra power and 4GB vram is ok for a lot of things.
there may be hacked drivers for crossfire if you want to play games in windows, there used to be in the old days.

AlbertoQuemada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks for all the answers :)
[doublepost=1537233080][/doublepost]
black magic cards only help with video editing apps not general use. (almost only video editing)
as SLI is mentioned id gess the question is about games? more than video editing?

for apps that will use dual cards it's a kind of fun setups no extra power and 4GB vram is ok for a lot of things.
there may be hacked drivers for crossfire if you want to play games in windows, there used to be in the old days.
I was thinking of using it for gaming (I don't play much on Mac) maybe but also for photo editing. So maybe I try it and see how it goes

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Crossfire is natively supported in Windows, no need any hack.

Last edited:
Reactions: orph

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
ah cool was it the old nvidia cards that needed a hack for SLI back in the day?

so yes for games you can and for photo editing it wont hurt it but i dont think it will make any real changes

as you have two cards just try it :D and see how it go's + post a report if you have time will be fun to see

Reactions: AlbertoQuemada

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

so yes for games you can and for photo editing it wont hurt it but i dont think it will make any real changes

as you have two cards just try it :D and see how it go's + post a report if you have time will be fun to see

Correct, SLI need motherboard support, Crossfire doesn't.

AlbertoQuemada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017

Next week I will try it gaming, editing and some other stuff. And I will report how it goes.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
FCX, davinci resolve (paid not free) will like extra GPU power not shore about any more video editing app.

have fun ^^

baoboiboi

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2020
Hi guys, i registered an account just to let you guys know about my setup. I put 2 Radeon VII in my Mac Pro 12 core 2010 Mojave and it works like a charm! i did a lixlas mod then split it in to 4 8pins connectors. The Mac Pro PSU is 980w so it has enough power for 2 Radeon to run. the only thing is the fan is covered by the other card so i might want to put them in waterblock.
good luck to you whom want to do the same setup.

Attachments

• 5303ECB2-967B-47A8-84A3-3A3D7420ED18.jpeg
    5303ECB2-967B-47A8-84A3-3A3D7420ED18.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 1,105

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Hi guys, i registered an account just to let you guys know about my setup. I put 2 Radeon VII in my Mac Pro 12 core 2010 Mojave and it works like a charm! i did a lixlas mod then split it in to 4 8pins connectors. The Mac Pro PSU is 980w so it has enough power for 2 Radeon to run. the only thing is the fan is covered by the other card so i might want to put them in waterblock.
How hard can you run those till the bottom one throttles?

Reactions: Dlprod3

IanK MacPro

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
Buckinghamshire, UK
That lower card won't like running like that long term!

Configure it the same as I have done mine, there is zero difference using a 4x slot over a 16x slot for most apps, try it and see for yourself.

If you use a pair of long nosed pliers, you can easily bend the little metal tab at the top of slot 4 out of the way.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...4-5-beta-driver-results.2170567/post-28160678

IMG_1652.jpg

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Because nobody see’s it when the side is on.....😛
Same reason the ssd/hdd labels are underneath.

bacchu55

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
I have a similar question: I've successfully installed a Radeon 580 GPU and want to install an Nvidia card. I know the drivers can get sticky--is it possible to run two cards from these two different manufacturers simultaneously? My goal is to have an increased number of displays (10), not boosted video processing.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have a similar question: I've successfully installed a Radeon 580 GPU and want to install an Nvidia card. I know the drivers can get sticky--is it possible to run two cards from these two different manufacturers simultaneously? My goal is to have an increased number of displays (10), not boosted video processing.
Then why not simply install dual RX580 to avoid unnecessary trouble? The cost isn't that high anyway.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Even a dual RX560 may be worth your minimal investment. Easier to power more reliably with some models only needing single six pin.

bacchu55

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Thanks for the replies. To clarify, I already have the Nvidia card from another machine, so naturally I’d rather spend nothing if possible.

The card I have is a Sapphire. Can anyone explain the near double in cost between, say, an XFX and the Sapphire? Will I notice the difference in performance in the multi-displays functionality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.