Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I have the same issue with my 2018 iPad Pro 12’9 and just discovered this discussion.
It baffles me too but after some poor experience with Apple support I never tried to get the pencil/iPad replaced.
I even remember walking in an Apple Store in December 2018 and all iPad Pro had scratches from the pencil.
It is kind of amazing to me that Apple does what they do in circumstances like these. They make amazing stuff but when an issue comes up with their designs they tend to burry their head in the sand and keep repeating the mistake until they are called out enough they can't ignore it anymore and then change the design.

All it would take is to change the Pencil design. A cheap fix for them would to make a soft rubberized coating on the outer layer of the pencil not the tip. Make it thicker so that hole where the magnet is exposed can't ever touch the iPad and the softer rubber would protect the iPad finish. I can't imagine it would cost that much to do and would solve the issue in the least expensive way possible.

Another idea that would benefit everyone is to come up with a hardened anodized coating like Samsung uses their Aluminum Armor. Either one of these solutions would be a pretty easy fix and add a nominal cost at production and would solve an issue that has been going on for some time.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It is kind of amazing to me that Apple does what they do in circumstances like these. They make amazing stuff but when an issue comes up with their designs they tend to burry their head in the sand and keep repeating the mistake until they are called out enough they can't ignore it anymore and then change the design.

All it would take is to change the Pencil design. A cheap fix for them would to make a soft rubberized coating on the outer layer of the pencil not the tip. Make it thicker so that hole where the magnet is exposed can't ever touch the iPad and the softer rubber would protect the iPad finish. I can't imagine it would cost that much to do and would solve the issue in the least expensive way possible.

Another idea that would benefit everyone is to come up with a hardened anodized coating like Samsung uses their Aluminum Armor. Either one of these solutions would be a pretty easy fix and add a nominal cost at production and would solve an issue that has been going on for some time.
My theory is that if the techs or floor people don't have a flow chart to follow for a specific situation or concern, they just say it's your fault. I've seen plenty of posts from people with the same problem as OP. It's not unheard of for that little metal contact to stick out of the pencil and cause scratches. It's a manufacturing defect in the Pencil and Apple should make it right.

But obviously Apple still hasn't acknowledged the issue, which seems weird to me. I've had them replace devices for me more than once for things that were not really anybody's fault or even for things that were not covered under warranty. I've even had them replace an iPad for me that didn't even HAVE warranty left on it.

My best advice to you, OP, is when you get a survey in your email about your support experience from Apple, give them a bad rating. They take them seriously, and a manager will probably call you. At that point they usually help you out.

sr6der

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2022
New fear unlocked. Im using a case that covers that part of the ipad tho.

Made me remember the old kids fable about 2 pots, 1 of metal and 1 of clay.

But also things are made to be worn.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It doesn't amaze me.

Apple's most demanding customers (most likely are regulars here on MR) are all about the unboxing experience. As long as their device is perfect out-of-the-box they're good to go. Any blemish is enough justification to return the device repeatedly until that perfect specimen is unboxed.

But then something odd happens... should any issues develop AFTER unboxing, those same people give Apple a pass. They brush off issues and defects that arise. No matter how poor of an ownership experience they have with a device, they'll be just as willing to replace it with another Apple device and will reward Apple by giving them even more money for an extended warranty (AppleCare+). There are countless stories here on MR of people deciding to get AC+ on their next purchase so that they are "covered" against that issue in the future.

It is so rare for an Apple customer who is dissatisfied with a product to replace it with a non-Apple product. THIS is why Apple has no incentive to pro-actively and fully address issues. Apple makes MORE money by allowing these issues to remain unresolved. It helps drive people to purchase extended warranties.

I don't blame Apple. They're in business to make money. If customers are willing to accept unresolved issues then why should Apple spend money to address issues that people ultimately don't care (enough) about?

• Sad
Reactions: Violet_Antelope

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[…]

I don't blame Apple. They're in business to make money. If customers are willing to accept unresolved issues then why should Apple spend money to address issues that people ultimately don't care (enough) about?
if you bang your new cars’ door into a brick wall is it an unresolved issue with the dealer?

• Love
Reactions: russell_314

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
if you bang your new cars’ door into a brick wall is it an unresolved issue with the dealer?

So you’re saying attaching the pencil at the spot where the manufacturer has intended while connecting it magnetically like it was designed to is now somehow remotely close to damaging your car door and in addition the fault of the user?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So you’re saying attaching the pencil at the spot where the manufacturer has intended while connecting it magnetically like it was designed to is now somehow remotely close to damaging your car door and in addition the fault of the user?
Yes, I’m saying there could be some sort of user error or wiggling at the spot causing micro-abrasions. While annoying don’t think it would be unexpected.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, I’m saying there could be some sort of user error or wiggling at the spot causing micro-abrasions. While annoying don’t think it would be unexpected.

Some sort of “hold it together until the magnets snap” user error that escaped the awesome pre covid on premise work at Apple and no one could foresee this with testing? Unlikely, but when you have details, do let us know.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
A better anodised coating would improve the scratch problem. If the side of an iPad is scratching from contact with a plastic coated Apple Pencil, Apple are clearly putting about the thinnest coating possible on the iPad. Cost before quality in that instance. I design products that are anodised and used in harsh environments in transport and sea freight and anodising significantly improves the durability of the surface finish. An iPad shouldn’t be scratching easily at all.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Some sort of “hold it together until the magnets snap” user error that escaped the awesome pre covid on premise work at Apple and no one could foresee this with testing? Unlikely, but when you have details, do let us know.
Yes and you as well.

If there isn’t the same type of quality defect on 100% of those who have the specific iPad and pencil then please let us know why that may be.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Yes and you as well.

If there isn’t the same type of quality defect on 100% of those who have the specific iPad and pencil then please let us know why that may be.

The reports on this are pretty well established across this forum. I take it that other than handing out unsubstantiated accusations of product abuse you have zero input here.

And I’d consider #61 in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Has anyone considered the type of abrasive dust? I work sandblasting sometime and that type of aluminum oxide debris or dust will destroy the finish of anything if it gets on it. I’ve had screens and backs of iPhones crack because of it. This may not be the issue but it was just a consideration.

I think if it’s just minor imperfections then it’s normal wear and tear. Someone mentioned coating the pencil with a rubber finish but that would not work. If anything that would hold dust particles to the pencil more and worsen the condition.

The solution for this is if you know you’re OCD about scratches you should have a case. Many cases have that area protected likely just for that reason.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The reports on this are pretty well established across this forum. I take it that other than handing out unsubstantiated accusations of product abuse you have zero input here.

And I’d consider #61 in a heartbeat.
Yes, everybody’s anecdotal evidence is well substantiated, I understand that. And with many years of apple products and people claiming all sorts of things…bendgate anyone?, I take this evidence as anecdotal.

Ymmv.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, everybody’s anecdotal evidence is well substantiated, I understand that. And with many years of apple products and people claiming all sorts of things…bendgate anyone?, I take this evidence as anecdotal.

Ymmv.

LOL the “anecdotal “ bendgate that made them announce a stronger aluminium alloy for the following generation at the keynote event. Head, meet sand. Apple cannot be failed.

Besides, that gate ain’t the topic even if it’s an attractive goal post to move. Whataboutism MR style.

Last edited:

maternidad

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2021
This is exactly what has happened to my iPad. I wish it were more durable, but I don’t think it’s so grave.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
LOL the “anecdotal “ bendgate that made them announce a stronger aluminium alloy for the following generation at the keynote event. Head, meet sand. Apple cannot be failed.
Wow what a limited viewpoint. Does the internet understand product improvement?

It’s not about apple cannot be failed, it’s about the variability of producing 10s of millions of items, and having some variability in the quality assurance.
Besides, that gate ain’t the topic even if it’s an attractive goal post to move. Whataboutism MR style.
That “gate” is a good analogy to show a mushroom that turned out to be a tempest in a teapot, like this.

Note: not saying this doesn’t happen but maybe it’s not automatically the fault of apple.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
How is it normal that literally the magnet of the apple pencil is sticking out and scratching my iPad after 3 weeks? That can't be considered normal wear and tear.

The plastic of the Pencil, to me, seems like it's incredibly unlikely that the magnet from inside the Pencil would stick out. It seems more likely that something that the magnet attracted was ground into the side of the Pencil, and then it gouged the aluminum case.

Steel is magnetic, and it would easily scratch the iPad almost anywhere that it came into contact. I'd also think that the Pencil magnet would be quite a bit larger than that small dot. It has a somewhat ferocious grip on the side of the iPad, ferocious for its size. Heck, I 'lost' a Pencil, and it had attached to a lamp on my desk. I've had some attach to key chains, car doors, appliances, random crap on my desk/night stand, etc... It will even attach itself to my MBP screen at the top where the magnets in the lower case help keep the lid closed.

*shrug* Is it possible? Maybe. Take it to an Apple Store and see what they say? Apologies if you already have, but cosmetic issues are notorious for being denied. But if someone had theirs replaced for the same reason, find out when, where, what they said. Just Be Nice to the agents you interact with.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
Wow what a limited viewpoint. Does the internet understand product improvement?

It’s not about apple cannot be failed, it’s about the variability of producing 10s of millions of items, and having some variability in the quality assurance.

That “gate” is a good analogy to show a mushroom that turned out to be a tempest in a teapot, like this.

Note: not saying this doesn’t happen but maybe it’s not automatically the fault of apple.
When it happened to me I thought it might be my fault. Maybe I was not gentle enough with the pencil or I used it once in a bad environment. These should not be possible at all in the first place but let admit it.

Then I walked in an Apple Store were literally all iPad Pro had these scratches. If it happens that easily in an environment as controlled as an Apple Store there is definitely an issue with the product and Apple is at fault.

I don’t ever go in Apple Store anymore but the last time I went into one none of the iPads had these scratches. So maybe they improved the coating since then.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’m of the opinion that if a surface finish is being affected in a short space of time when being used in conjunction with a product (Apple pencil) designed to attract to it, it’s a reasonable quality complaint with the manufacturer. If that accessory was a third party version, that would be a different story IMO.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’m of the opinion that if a surface finish is being affected in a short space of time when being used in conjunction with a product (Apple pencil) designed to attract to it, it’s a reasonable quality complaint with the manufacturer. If that accessory was a third party version, that would be a different story IMO.
There always seems to be some type of material defect in every single released product of apple. Apple sells so many units and there always seems to be some issue (antennagate, bendgate, yellow screens, scuff marks etc) that affects some minority and then people claim it’s a overall defect. (Well except for antennagate)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
There always seems to be some type of material defect in every single released product of apple. Apple sells so many units and there always seems to be some issue (antennagate, bendgate, yellow screens, scuff marks etc) that affects some minority and then people claim it’s a overall defect. (Well except for antennagate)

There is no factory or product line on earth that doesn’t suffer some form of quality issues in some percentage. In my experience of manufacturing, if a division are recording no quality complaints, it’s usually investigated as more often than not something is being hidden. The points you’ve highlighted from the past demonstrate Apple isn’t immune from issues and that’s to be expected. This doesn’t mean those customer experiencing issues should be dismissed because other people with the same product haven’t had issues. I’ve been told on another thread that the Apple watch’s AOD doesn’t affect the battery life if the product, yet I have experienced that it does and many others have too. That doesn’t mean my experience is false. It just proves there is some movement for processes to be improved somewhere along the manufacturing/finishing process.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Yup, everything produced has weak points somewhere. Wether they affect minorities of the user base or turn out into keyboard Desasters or anything else that develops into a huge scale repair program, only Apple determines, we can but speculate on the scale.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There is no factory or product line on earth that doesn’t suffer some form of quality issues in some percentage. In my experience of manufacturing, if a division are recording no quality complaints, it’s usually investigated as more often than not something is being hidden. The points you’ve highlighted from the past demonstrate Apple isn’t immune from issues and that’s to be expected. This doesn’t mean those customer experiencing issues should be dismissed because other people with the same product haven’t had issues. I’ve been told on another thread that the Apple watch’s AOD doesn’t affect the battery life if the product, yet I have experienced that it does and many others have too. That doesn’t mean my experience is false. It just proves there is some movement for processes to be improved somewhere along the manufacturing/finishing process.
I agree. As you point out there are sometimes quality issues that are remedied when discovered. Thankfully apple has a 14 day return policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.