Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I agree. As you point out there are sometimes quality issues that are remedied when discovered. Thankfully apple has a 14 day return policy.

Well if you’re the OP then the issue started three weeks after the purchase. Not every material defect can be discovered in the first 14 days.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Applecare also helps. If not it’s a cosmetic defect that won’t affect functionality.

Yup a warranty extension against bad craftsmanship. Just pay Apple a little service fee for their faulty product, double win. Sure. Consumer law also helps in geos that have it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yup a warranty extension against bad craftsmanship.
Correct , unless it’s user error.
Just pay Apple a little service fee for their faulty product, double win.
I would think one would want to do this as it gives a little protection when the damage is the fault of the customer.
Sure. Consumer law also helps in geos that have it.
Think we have come full circle.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Applecare also helps. If not it’s a cosmetic defect that won’t affect functionality.

I know there are different rules in retail depending on the country but a product where I live can be returned within 28 days if faulty for a full refund as that is our statutory right. If a problem goes beyond that and it’s obvious the product is defective under the ‘sale of goods act 1979’, the consumer can seek a replacement or repair up to 24 months on electronics and up to 5 years on white goods. AppleCare would cost the consumer money to take it out as an additional policy and also I’d imagine there would be an excess charge for a replacement. I’d rather something I bought that turned out to be defective is replaced free of charge personally.

Reactions: ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Correct , unless it’s user error.

I would think one would want to do this as it gives a little protection when the damage is the fault of the customer.

Think we have come full circle.

Good luck proving the users fault when attaching the pencil as intended. A pure work of fiction on your part, especially when we already had forum members in this discussion pointing out it’s likely a coating defect on Apple’s part. Asking people then to pay more for AC+ when it’s a well known issue with the device, then pseudo admitting guilt by adding the service fee on top of the purchase price and the cost for AC+, is weird advice.

Reactions: Violet_Antelope

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I know there are different rules in retail depending on the country but a product where I live can be returned within 28 days if faulty for a full refund as that is our statutory right. If a problem goes beyond that and it’s obvious the product is defective under the ‘sale of goods act 1979’, the consumer can seek a replacement or repair up to 24 months on electronics and up to 5 years on white goods. AppleCare would cost the consumer money to take it out as an additional policy and also I’d imagine there would be an excess charge for a replacement. I’d rather something I bought that turned out to be defective is replaced free of charge personally.

Well put. This is how it’s handled in the first world.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Good luck proving the users fault when attaching the pencil as intended.
Good luck in proving the user didn’t scratch the pencil along the surface.
A pure work of fiction on your part,
You haven’t offered anything to the contrary.
especially when we already had forum members in this discussion pointing out it’s likely a coating defect on Apple’s part.
And users also complained the iPhone 6 bends easily. And sure it could be a coating defect, it could be customer actions, difficult to prove either way.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How does one prove it’s a product defect rather than product misuse? Unintentionally or intentionally?

There have been a number of threads on Macrumors asking for the best way to doctor a product so it can be exchanged in a warranty return.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Good luck in proving the user didn’t scratch the pencil along the surface.

You haven’t offered anything to the contrary.

And users also complained the iPhone 6 bends easily. And sure it could be a coating defect, it could be customer actions, difficult to prove either way.

Ah nice, the change of goal posts again when you run out of ideas, simultaneously dismissing the bend gate which also affected plenty folks out here and let to Apple announcing a stronger alloy when the successor device was announced.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
How does one prove it’s a product defect rather than product misuse? Unintentionally or intentionally?

There have been a number of threads on Macrumors asking for the best way to doctor a product so it can be exchanged in a warranty return.

I would imagine if the anodised coating has defects, these would possibly line up with where the pencil sits on the side of the device in terms of visible wear points. The anodised alloy should be a harder material than the polycarbonate pencil and will sit lower on the Mohs scale. Anodising is supposed to increase the durability of a surface finish as it effectively absorbs into the surface of an alloy. If this is wearing in a short space of time, it will be easily demonstrated by the consumer IMO. It’s one of those situation I suppose where it’s easier for someone to prove to Apple that the damage is caused via the accessory than it would be for Apple to prove it wasn’t.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A nice, the change of goal posts again when you run out of ideas, simultaneously dismissing the bend gate which also affected plenty folks out here and let to Apple announcing a stronger alloy when the successor device was announced.
How many cases of “bendgate” were legitimate? Don’t get claiming to not understand product improvement. Alloys get better, gorilla glass gets better, antenna materials get better, screens get better, etc.
I would imagine if the anodised coating has defects, these would possibly line up with where the pencil sits on the side of the device in terms of visible wear points. The anodised alloy should be a harder material than the polycarbonate pencil and will sit lower on the Mohs scale. Anodising is supposed to increase the durability of a surface finish as it effectively absorbs into the surface of an alloy. If this is wearing in a short space of time, it will be easily demonstrated by the consumer IMO. It’s one of those situation I suppose where it’s easier for someone to prove to Apple that the damage is caused via the accessory than it would be for Apple to prove it wasn’t.
I guess, but I also surmise a class action suit could be brought against apple.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
When it happened to me I thought it might be my fault. Maybe I was not gentle enough with the pencil or I used it once in a bad environment. These should not be possible at all in the first place but let admit it.

Then I walked in an Apple Store were literally all iPad Pro had these scratches. If it happens that easily in an environment as controlled as an Apple Store there is definitely an issue with the product and Apple is at fault.

I don’t ever go in Apple Store anymore but the last time I went into one none of the iPads had these scratches. So maybe they improved the coating since then.

Wait, all IPads from that line had those scratches when you checked out the store? We’ll wait for the omnipresent excuser to tell you how that’s all your fault, or that of the other users, who secretly must have snug in and damaged them all without the staff noticing.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
How many cases of “bendgate” were legitimate? Don’t get claiming to not understand product improvement. Alloys get better, gorilla glass gets better, antenna materials get better, screens get better, etc.

I guess, but I also surmise a class action suit could be brought against apple.

“According to the court documents, as reported by Motherboard, "Apple's internal testing 'determined that the iPhone 6 was 3.3 times more likely to bend than the iPhone 5s (the model immediately prior to the subject iPhones) and that the iPhone 6 Plus was 7.2 times more likely to bend than the iPhone 5s.'"

More than three times more likely to bend, and they only made the OG, the 3, the 3GS, the 4, the 5 and the 5s prior, so this was all surprising to Apple. Sure sure. Nice try.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
“According to the court documents, as reported by Motherboard, "Apple's internal testing 'determined that the iPhone 6 was 3.3 times more likely to bend than the iPhone 5s (the model immediately prior to the subject iPhones) and that the iPhone 6 Plus was 7.2 times more likely to bend than the iPhone 5s.'"

More than three times more likely to bend, and they only made the OG, the 3, the 3GS, the 4, the 5 and the 5s prior, so this was all surprising to Apple. Sure sure. Nice try.
Right. Being “likely” to bend, or gorilla glass being likely to crack does not mean that people didn’t purposely (or accidentally) try to damage their phones, which was the point being made. Every phone is “likely” to have damage from some external event. The point is product improvement eg gorilla glass got tougher. Why would that even need to happen if the first iteration was perfect?

But nice try.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Right. Being “likely” to bend, or gorilla glass being likely to crack does not mean that people didn’t purposely (or accidentally) try to damage their phones, which was the point being made. Every phone is “likely” to have damage from some external event. The point is product improvement eg gorilla glass got tougher. Why would that even need to happen if the first iteration was perfect?

But nice try.

Just goes to show it cannot be dismissed as the product was knowingly worse in that regard. Now, on topic, into which you jumped without being able to formulate what the op did wrong, we’ll apply innocent until proven otherwise. Good day.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just goes to show it cannot be dismissed as the product was knowingly worse in that regard. Now, on topic, into which you jumped without being able to formulate what the op did wrong, we’ll apply innocent until proven otherwise. Good day.
So assumptions are being made which was the entire point about anecdotal evidence.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
So assumptions are being made which was the entire point about anecdotal evidence.

Thank you for confirming.

You’re the One coming in with assumptions, a first in this thread. Up to this point you haven’t even presented a theory - your sole contribution is to show up and blame the users, of which there are a few in this thread already. So yea, assumptions are being made on your part from the start. I’ll go with #61 as stated and will take the opinion of someone with subject matter expertise or even the reports from the Apple Store over your typical uninformed goalpost moving attempts at shilling. If you need this repeated again for clarification, please let me know, I’ll try my best to break it down for you.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Thank you for confirming.

You’re the One coming in with assumptions, a first in this thread. Up to this point you haven’t even presented a theory - your sole contribution is to show up and blame the users, of which there are a few in this thread already. So yea, assumptions are being made on your part from the start. I’ll go with #61 as stated and will take the opinion of someone with subject matter expertise or even the reports from the Apple Store over your typical uninformed goalpost moving attempts at shilling. If you need this repeated again for clarification, please let me know, I’ll try my best to break it down for you.
You can profess your love for #61, however the root cause of how these scratches or micro-abrasions came to be has not been determined officially…and these repeated back and forth will not change this until there is some official determination.

And you know what “they” say about what happens when you assume? (Well not me)

freshy17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2021
The same has happened to me just 10 days after receiving my iPad mini 6. The Apple pencil is not new and I had noticed those grey scratches on its side but I assumed THAT was normal wear. When I got the mini I started using the pencil with it and placing it on its side. As it’s supposed to. A few days ago I noticed a similar mark to those shown in the OG post. I thought there must be something wrong with the material since my two year old iPad Air does NOT show those marks. However, After a ver thorough and close examination I detected a couple of incipient harline-like scratches on the Air too. But hey, after two years, even I thought that was normal wear.

Anyway, long story short, I took my mini to my local Apple Store and the sales girl who helped me knew exactly what I was talking about and after telling me about the warranty not covering any cosmetic damage, she immediately set me up for a replacement as soon as the get the unit in-store. At least in my case, Apple responded promptly.

Now Im scared of using the same Pencil on my new tablet when I get it. I may as well gat a new pencil too

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
The same has happened to me just 10 days after receiving my iPad mini 6. The Apple pencil is not new and I had noticed those grey scratches on its side but I assumed THAT was normal wear. When I got the mini I started using the pencil with it and placing it on its side. As it’s supposed to. A few days ago I noticed a similar mark to those shown in the OG post. I thought there must be something wrong with the material since my two year old iPad Air does NOT show those marks. However, After a ver thorough and close examination I detected a couple of incipient harline-like scratches on the Air too. But hey, after two years, even I thought that was normal wear.

Anyway, long story short, I took my mini to my local Apple Store and the sales girl who helped me knew exactly what I was talking about and after telling me about the warranty not covering any cosmetic damage, she immediately set me up for a replacement as soon as the get the unit in-store. At least in my case, Apple responded promptly.

Now Im scared of using the same Pencil on my new tablet when I get it. I may as well gat a new pencil too

You can potentially experiment with wrapping the pencil or adding protection on the iPad.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020

I have not purchased a pencil for my iPad Pro as I am worried it will eventually scratch the side of it. I had the iPad 6th gen with the original Apple Pencil and ended up not using the pencil as much as I thought I would so with that as well as the possibility of scratches, I didn’t buy the Apple Pencil 2.

itsmehuey

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2019
Did they just replace it or replace it and have you pay the “your fault” service fee?
apologies this is an extremely late response, but they replaced it without me having to pay any service fee. It was replaced as warranty replacement.

Mr.Scarface

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
I going threw warranty hell. Store 1 replacing iPad Pro 11 M1 because of a bad charging port. None in stock, send me to Store 2 to pick up one. I do the Swap at Store 2. Before I put a screen protector on, find scratches on screen OUT OF Box (didn't take the film off until I got home). The replacements are NEW and should not have scratches. For convenience, went to Store #3 because I was near it for business. They can't swap it out because system won't let them (probably because I had gotten a replacement from Store #2 the day before). Go back to Store #2, same thing...system wont let them swap without sending out to the Deport for evaluation. Now, we know AppleCare and cosmetic damage. However, this is a NEW in box iPad from their service inventory. Store #2 is giving me hell...saying "How do you know you didn't do this?" I am saying I was FORCED to get a "new" IPAD because you don't repair Ipads. If you did, I would have my Perfect screen that still probably has the glass screen protector on it.

Anyway, I call Apple Support and get to Senior Support. He says he is making an exception so the Store can swap it out. Store #2 closes before I can go back in. Store #4 (again, traveling around for work) is like Store #3, very helpful, but it running to the same system problems as the other stores. Guys are very helpful and explained that Apple phone support cannot reserve a swap using store inventory. Frustrated, I agree to allow them to send it off to the "Depot" for evaluation. Store #4 says that are putting information in the Notes but if the Depot won't swap the IPAD out, they should be able to do it when comes back because the hold on the account should be lifted. Phone Support guy calls me back and asks me to keep him updated. This is the WORST experience I have had with Apple.

rachelagnes110

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2023
Hey everyone,

I wanted to open this thread after some problems with the apple support. My apple pencil has caused scratch marks on the sides of my new iPad Pro 2020 12.9 inches. This problem was discussed in some other threads but I wanted to get advice on the way apple is handling my case specifically, since I saw from a few people that they got their iPads replaced.

So after trying to figure out what is even scratching my iPad I came to the conclusion that it is the pencil. As you can see in the picture there's a black dot on my pencil which is basically the magnet sticking out. In general I think the pencils magnets are causing the scratching.
I contacted the apple support a dozen times and never did they help me always telling me the damage won't be covered by them.

Lastly my case was sent to the apple engineers for assessment and they came to the conclusion:
"Dust particles are getting trapped between iPad and pencil and causes the scratching."

Now this sounds quite stupid to me, because obviously there is metal sticking out of the pencil and also how is it my fault that literally micro particles are causing such big scratching? And why is this then not happening with everyone else's iPads. Dust particles are naturally occurring in our environments. Are they claiming my surroundings are especially dusty??? Also what was I supposed to do? Wipe my freaking pencil every time?

The fact that some people get their iPad replaced because of this same issue while others don't seems quite unfair as well. Any suggestions what I could do next? I don't want to just accept this ridiculous statement by them.
You really cant do anything about the damage thats already created. Im unsure if Apple would get you a replacement for this but you can check with the Support either ways.
To avoid further scratches from occurring, you can always get a Screen Protector Film or a Skin. This doesnt add much thickness at all, so you can always slap a case after applying and even if dust particles segregate, the Screen Protector or the Skin would take the initial impact. But be aware of Screen Protectors from few brands, they dont exactly fit the case after applying. I struggles a lot with few brands and finally found a Casefit Screen Protector from Gadgetshieldz and these fit with cases too! Make sure to get the "Casefit" Version if you will be slapping a case for the iPad. Ive applied Black Camo and it fits even with the case on so Skins wont have much of a problem fitting the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.