Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
THERE WILL BE NO RELEASE OF THE EL CAPITAN PACK, I AM JUMPING DIRECTLY TO macOS SIERRA for the release this summer.

So in the past I made a Yosemite icon pack for Leopard, however I never did complete it and most of the icons in Yosemite at the time were all new, and I released a beta with a majority of the icons however not all. Still to this day I have not seen anyone else attempt at creating an icon pack for all of the PPC users using Leopard (or possibly the Intel Macs that are stuck with Snow Leopard or Lion as well).

My goal was to make my G5 appear as a brand new Mac with all of the updated icons and dock, fooling everyone since really Leopard came out in 2007, about 9 years ago. So far it has been going extremely well!!

And by the way I'm all for customizing, but I try to give the "stock" Apple appearance with this pack. To uninstall this, you have to do quite a few steps and I have yet to write an uninstall guide and may get to that in the future.

Read my replies in this thread to see the progress! :D

Old:
Before%20ElCapPack.png

New:

macOS%20SIERRA%20PREVIEW.png

So as you see there is an icon for Notes, Reminders, Maps, and the App Store. These actually are webpages that are it's own application, and because Notes and Reminders are iCloud web accessible, you can be even closer to that "new mac" with an old one. Maps opens up Google Maps, and the App Store opens up the PowerPC Archive.

Photos.png

Maps.png

This will be out soon! The project has become a bigger project than I had originally intended and I would rather take the time to make it work... thanks iCloud!

SOME DAY SOON - RELEASE DAY
[sorry for the wait!]

Will require a G4/G5 PPC Mac running OS X Leopard 10.5.8
with TenFourFox 38.4 or higher installed
(you can't rename TFF to "firefox")

Last edited:

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
So in the past I made a Yosemite icon pack for Leopard, however I never did complete it and most of the icons in Yosemite at the time were all new, and I released a beta with a majority of the icons however not all. Still to this day I have not seen anyone else attempt at creating an icon pack for all of the PPC users using Leopard (or possibly the Intel Macs that are stuck with Snow Leopard or Lion as well).

My goal was to make my G5 appear as a brand new Mac with all of the updated icons and dock, fooling everyone since really Leopard came out in 2007, about 9 years ago. So far it has been going extremely well!!

And by the way I'm all for customizing, but I try to give the "stock" Apple appearance with this pack. To uninstall this, you have to do quite a few steps and I have yet to write an uninstall guide and may get to that in the future.

Old:
Before%20ElCapPack.png

New:

more%20progress.png

This will be out soon! Plan on the first week of January.

Will require a G4/G5 PPC Mac running OS X Leopard 10.5.8
THANK YOU GAVIN!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!

Reactions: gavinstubbs09

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
That's something with TFF, I don't know if I can do anything about it, maybe there is a setting to hide the file download progress in the dock (eyoungren or Altemose ??).
That's what I was thinking too... Maybe we could delete the loading bar image from the apps resources?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's something with TFF, I don't know if I can do anything about it, maybe there is a setting to hide the file download progress in the dock (eyoungren or Altemose ??).
No idea. I didn't even realize there was a problem in relation to T4Fx. If I am downloading I am generally watching the download icon in one of the top bars inside the T4Fx window, while I am doing something else inside T4Fx so I wasn't aware of this.

Maybe something to bring up to Cameron Kaiser?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
No idea. I didn't even realize there was a problem in relation to T4Fx. If I am downloading I am generally watching the download icon in one of the top bars inside the T4Fx window, while I am doing something else inside T4Fx so I wasn't aware of this.

Maybe something to bring up to Cameron Kaiser?
The issue only presents when you change the icon of TFF, this goes the same foe any other app that has a download bar on the icon when downloading.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Ok, so far I have looked through the Resources folder and have found no image for the loading bar... I think that the bar may be a system file, and TFF is coded to pull this file and use it. So there may be a way to disable it by delving further into the .plist files and turn it off. Thats just a hypothesis! +1 For asking Cameron about this, he may be able to tell us how to disable the loading bar

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
When you download a file when the icon is changed, the loading bar appears, but the icon disappears.

So it is similar to the bug in Chrome on OS X where it appears like a blank file? If so I just choose "Display As: Folder" instead of "Stack". Granted this only masks the issue.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
View attachment 608205
Just got home, here it is. The icon just disappears, if you Quit TFF it will come back though
Like I said, I have never seen this. Here is the TenFourFox icon with progress bar:

TFF-Progress-Bar.png

Edit:
The issue only presents when you change the icon of TFF, this goes the same foe any other app that has a download bar on the icon when downloading.
Ah ok, I missed this post. Have you optimized the Firefox icon for Leopard in any way?

Last edited:
Reactions: gavinstubbs09

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I had the same thing happen. I use the actual FireFox logo and when I was downloading a new version of TFF, the icon disappeared and all that remained was the download bar. The download bar even stayed on the dock without the FireFox icon after the download was done.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Nope, but I think it is more of an OS X thing rather than a TFF thing as other apps do it too
Try this Firefox icon, which I have optimized for Mac OS X Leopard. Let me know if you still have the problem (don't forget to clear the icon cache by touching TenFourFox.app in Terminal).

Attachments

• firefox.icns.zip
    278.1 KB · Views: 659

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
How did you edit it may I ask?
I decompiled the firefox.icns into an iconset using iconutil on my El Capitan Mac. I then removed all the Retina sizes, and remade an icns file. Next I ran oldiconutil (great little utility) to make sure the icon will work in Leopard (El Capitan system icons won't show up at all without it).

This is the proper way to optimize modern icons for Mac OS X Leopard.

Reactions: Gamer9430

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I decompiled the firefox.icns into an iconset using iconutil on my El Capitan Mac. I then removed all the Retina sizes, and remade an icns file. Next I ran oldiconutil (great little utility) to make sure the icon will work in Leopard (El Capitan system icons won't show up at all without it).

This is the proper way to optimize modern icons for Mac OS X Leopard.

Taking notes, Gavin? Lol

Just because the pack wasn't going to be hard enough to make, now you can optimize the icons for leopard :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.