Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Also, it the pack gonna be available at midnight?? First day of the first week hype!!!

No unfortunately. I left my G5 at work and that's what I've been working off of, I won't be seeing that computer until Monday.

IMG_0353.jpg

Try this Firefox icon, which I have optimized for Mac OS X Leopard. Let me know if you still have the problem (don't forget to clear the icon cache by touching TenFourFox.app in Terminal).

Thanks for posting that! I will get it integrated with the pack in an attempt to make everything work as it should :)

Taking notes, Gavin? Lol

Just because the pack wasn't going to be hard enough to make, now you can optimize the icons for leopard :D

Certainly time consuming with what I have done thus far, still not done :( many things remain like more icons. At this point I'm trying to change the menu bar font to El Capitan's font and making the dock a lighter color so that/menu bar match. Sorry guys no "dark mode" themes with this!!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Certainly time consuming with what I have done thus far, still not done :( many things remain like more icons. At this point I'm trying to change the menu bar font to El Capitan's font and making the dock a lighter color so that/menu bar match. Sorry guys no "dark mode" themes with this!!

I will try to give you a hand with that...

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Getting very close guys! I even used a program called Fluid (which I pulled off my own website...ha!) to create Applications that actually are webpages. Unfortunately, it is using the old Safari so anything I try to do with iCloud is messed up and clicking ignore will let you get to iCloud's dashboard however still unable to open any apps.

App Store - PowerPC Archive
Notes - iCloud Notes
Reminders - iCloud Reminders
Maps - Google Maps

Jan6%20ElCapG5.png

What is left? Hopefully change the menu bar font, figure out the iCloud situation (maybe something so it uses TFF), possibly change the dock background to a lighter color (doubt it), package everything up, and distribute!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Getting very close guys! I even used a program called Fluid (which I pulled off my own website...ha!) to create Applications that actually are webpages. Unfortunately, it is using the old Safari so anything I try to do with iCloud is messed up and clicking ignore will let you get to iCloud's dashboard however still unable to open any apps.

Notes - iCloud Notes
Maps - Google Maps

Jan6%20ElCapG5.png

What is left? Hopefully change the menu bar font, figure out the iCloud situation (maybe something so it uses TFF), possibly change the dock background to a lighter color (doubt it), package everything up, and distribute!
Tried updating with Leopard WebKit?

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh

Notes - iCloud Notes
Maps - Google Maps

Jan6%20ElCapG5.png

I have my Safari version number changed to 7.1.6 and it runs iCloud and all apps just fine. Try that?
[doublepost=1452193750][/doublepost]
Tried updating with Leopard WebKit?
Just fake the version number for safari to 7.1.6

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
So I swapped over to TenFourBox. Things still don't work! Although I'd much rather use Safari since TFF says "TenFourBox: PowerPC Archive" rather than just "PowerPC Archive" but hey - you can't win everything!

So apparently you are supposed to use the FoxBox icon, but of course me being me, changed it to Apple's icon :)

Everyone MUST have TFF 38.4 or higher installed, and you can't rename "TenFourFoxGx" to "Firefox" otherwise the apps will not work. I like the idea of the Safari faker, although EVERYONE would have to do that where 95% of the PPC Leopard users are already using TFF.

Google Maps and the PowerPC Archive work fine, although with iCloud I still have issues: I'm guessing this has to do with not having the correct font installed on Leopard that iCloud uses. Still looking into it. If it is a font, I'll have to include it in the pack and everybody would have to install it, under "this machine" not "this user."

iCloud%20Fail.png

[doublepost=1452230661][/doublepost]

Another update. I typed in my username/password and got to the App menu with each individual app. When I typed my UN/PW it was invisible, but I got in first try! iCloud still fails and gives me more $@*$^%# gibberish errors.

Keep trying I guess!!

iCloud%20error%20Notes.png

[doublepost=1452233078][/doublepost]This may possibly be something to do with Apple's San Francisco font, I'm trying to hunt down the font. It can be downloaded by Apple but you must be a paying developer (which I'm not).

UPDATE: Found the fonts, installed them, still nothing. Maybe I will end up having to make everyone change their Safari version.

UPDATE2:
So I guess it is something with TFF. Users were reporting iCloud wasn't loading properly in TFF itself giving a reason TFFb isn't working as well as regular TFF for me.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-07%20at%2010.50.07%20PM.png

UPDATE3:
I could finally load iCloud in TFF, however going to Notes gives me another error saying that the control font could not be loaded. Reminders; Pages, Keynote, Numbers (slowly) actually load, although it's super slow. I'm sure everything else works but I didn't try. Notes is my priority.

I don't know what I'm doing at this point, but Notes is a huge part to me with this now "customization" pack and I feel that it can't be left out and must work. I use notes all the time, and I feel that if my G5 can update/read notes I make on my iPhone or MBP I would be more willing to use my G5 daily. I don't know how tied everyone is to a ElCap Mac or a newer iPhone, but I use iCloud a lot and adding functionality to an older Mac I think makes it more capable, and also pushes me further to complete my goal. Make my G5 turn from a rock into a tool.

Last edited:

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
I did get icloud + all apps running under Safari with the fake version and no extra fonts installed. So I don't think a lack of fonts would be the problem, at least not entirely
[doublepost=1452268152][/doublepost]Screenshots / Safari Info.plist and Version.plist download (just extract, drag files into Safari contents folder (right click, show package contents)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    846 KB · Views: 362
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    586.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    577.6 KB · Views: 460
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    599.6 KB · Views: 331
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    427.1 KB · Views: 427
  • SafariVersionChange.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
UPDATE3: I could finally load iCloud in TFF, however going to Notes gives me another error saying that the control font could not be loaded. Reminders; Pages, Keynote, Numbers (slowly) actually load, although it's super slow. I'm sure everything else works but I didn't try. Notes is my priority.

I don't know what I'm doing at this point, but Notes is a huge part to me with this now "customization" pack and I feel that it can't be left out and must work. I use notes all the time, and I feel that if my G5 can update/read notes I make on my iPhone or MBP I would be more willing to use my G5 daily. I don't know how tied everyone is to a ElCap Mac or a newer iPhone, but I use iCloud a lot and adding functionality to an older Mac I think makes it more capable, and also pushes me further to complete my goal. Make my G5 turn from a rock into a tool.
I created an iCloud app using Fluid on my dual-processor Power Mac G5, and everything seems to work except the Notes app, which fails to load.
iCloud.png

Everything else is, like you said, very slow.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I managed to change the system font on my G5 running Tiger by using the steps outlined here: http://www.macissues.com/2014/11/21/how-to-change-the-default-system-font-in-mac-os-x/

Rather than changing the Postscript name to .LucidaGrandeUI as it states in the article, I simply opened the SF Normal font up with TTFEdit on my El Cap machine, changed the Postscript name to LucidaGrande, and put the font into both HD/Library/Fonts and /System/Library/Fonts (although I'm not sure the latter is required). This is after taking the original LucidaGrande.dfont and converting it to TTF, then opening it and reading its name information, so that I knew what Postscript name to use for the system to pick up. The only issues I noticed were that the Dock font didn't change, the font within Finder is smaller than usual, the time and day sit lower on the menu bar than before (I changed it to analog), and some of the apps' names don't show up as bold on the menu bar (Finder, for instance). Certain web page fonts also change to San Francisco (i.e. Macintosh Garden). I'm currently researching a way to combine all of the SF fonts into a dfont suitcase, rather than separate TTF files, although I will admit that I'm not all that knowledgeable about such things and not sure whether it'll fix some of the issues or not.

g5finder.png

I also don't have the TFF icon disappearing when downloading problem. I just replaced the TFF icon with a Firefox .icns file using CandyBar and never had the issue.

g5sffonts.png

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I managed to change the system font on my G5 running Tiger by using the steps outlined here: http://www.macissues.com/2014/11/21/how-to-change-the-default-system-font-in-mac-os-x/

Rather than changing the Postscript name to .LucidaGrandeUI as it states in the article, I simply changed it to LucidaGrande, and put the font into both HD/Library/Fonts and /System/Library/Fonts (although I'm not sure the latter is required). This is after taking the original LucidaGrande.dfont and converting it to TTF, then opening it and reading its name information, so that I knew what Postscript name to use for the system to pick up. The only issues I noticed were that the Dock font didn't change, the font within Finder is smaller than usual, the time and day sit lower on the menu bar than before (I changed it to analog), and some of the apps' names don't show up as bold on the menu bar (Finder, for instance). Certain web page fonts also change to San Francisco (i.e. Macintosh Garden). I'm currently researching a way to combine all of the SF fonts into a dfont suitcase, rather than separate TTF files, although I will admit that I'm not all that knowledgeable about such things and whether it'll fix some of the issues.

g5finder.png

I also don't have the TFF icon disappearing when downloading problem. I just replaced the TFF icon with a Firefox .icns file using CandyBar and never had the issue.

g5sffonts.png
I used a free app called FontForge to compile and replace the dfont file on my G5. It was the only way I could get the Leopard menu bar to change over, and it worked great.

It's interesting to see someone themeing Tiger instead of Leopard. Do you just prefer Tiger, or is there another reason you haven't updated?

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I used a free app called FontForge to compile and replace the dfont file on my G5. It was the only way I could get the Leopard menu bar to change over, and it worked great.

It's interesting to see someone themeing Tiger instead of Leopard. Do you just prefer Tiger, or is there another reason you haven't updated?

Classic support. I use it for some older games and apps that don't have OS X equivalents. The Good Grey theme for Shapeshifter was just a bit of icing that got me in the mood to theme the entire OS and get it as close to El Cap as I can :)

I'll give FontForge a try. I have an older version for Tiger but couldn't get it to run, even with X11 installed. I'll install a newer version on my Intel iMac instead and give it a whirl.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I used a free app called FontForge to compile and replace the dfont file on my G5. It was the only way I could get the Leopard menu bar to change over, and it worked great.<snip>

I gave FontForge a whirl on my Intel iMac, and it worked great. I took the easy way out, and just copied and pasted the San Francisco Regular and Bold font symbols into the original Lucida Grande dfont, booted into single user mode, moved my original Lucida Grande dfont into Documents to back it up, and moved the modified dfont into /System/Library/Fonts. it worked like a charm and fixed the menu bar clock, app bold text on the menu bar, and Dock issues I had with my previous attempt. The Finder text is still a bit smaller than the original was, but you can change the point size of the Finder text in the view options.

menubar.png

dock.png

Thanks for the heads up on FontForge!

Last edited:

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
I did get icloud + all apps running under Safari with the fake version and no extra fonts installed.

Building on WalnutSpice's work I updated the version info to 8.0.8 to match the User-String version available under Safari's developer menu. For more on changing your User-String look here
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-internet.1951989/#post-22513288

A zip file with Info.plist and Version.plist for; original, 7.1.6 & 8.0.8 is available for download here https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9uuvljjwwh80y7/SafariVersionChange.zip?dl=0

To install: extract, select the 2 files for the version you want, copy those files into Safari's contents folder (right click, show package contents). In short, you will be replacing the current files with the ones you downloaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: WalnutSpice

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Building on WalnutSpice's work I updated the version info to 8.0.8 to match the User-String version available under Safari's developer menu. For more on changing your User-String look here
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-internet.1951989/#post-22513288

A zip file with Info.plist and Version.plist for; original, 7.1.6 & 8.0.8 is available for download here https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9uuvljjwwh80y7/SafariVersionChange.zip?dl=0

To install: extract, select the 2 files for the version you want, copy those files into Safari's contents folder (right click, show package contents). In short, you will be replacing the current files with the ones you downloaded.
The reason I chose 7.1.6 was because if any higher, it forces HTML 5. But it's personal preference I guess

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Bit of an update, bad news update, not horrendous but still bummer!

So when I bought my Mac Pro I took the hard drive out of my G5 without even thinking about it and installed El Capitan over it.

Well... that was the only machine I had that contained all of the project stuff. Not to worry though, I have 90% of what I need in Dropbox so I'll start over again with the G5. After work tomorrow I'll try busting it out. Already have a working install of Leopard on a new drive so I will begin there!

Reactions: Altemose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.