Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated Apple.com with a teaser for tomorrow's event, adding an interactive erasing feature that seems to hint at a refreshed version of the Apple Pencil.

apple-event-erase-graphic.jpg

Hovering over the Apple logo and moving the mouse allows the current artwork to be erased and replaced with a new logo design. Apple created a total of six logos for the May 7 "Let Loose" event, and the interactive eraser cycles through those options.

The event is expected to focus on new iPad Pro and iPad Air models, but rumors suggest the iPads will also be accompanied by an overhauled Apple Pencil and a refreshed version of the Magic Keyboard.

Code in iOS 17.5 mentions an Apple Pencil with a "squeeze" gesture, so it is possible that the new model that's coming will have a hardware-based erase option enabled with a squeeze. The current Apple Pencil models do not have a universal erase feature that works across apps, and adding such an option would likely be popular with users.

Article Link: Erasable Logo on Apple's Homepage Hints at New Apple Pencil Coming Tomorrow

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
While I can't get the least bit excited about a pencil (but happy for those who can), of all accumulated rumors for this one, the one that most excites me is M4... which seems about a coin-flip at that point. I can easily see WHY it COULD happen (in spite of "iPhone must be first" mentalities) and I can about as easily see it NOT happening too.

If it does happen, the excitement (for me) is not so much M4 iPads but how quickly "the rest" would go M4... which- IMO- would be faster than any kind of "normal" schedule/pattern we believe we know from the past... as in new M4 Macs tomorrow? WWDC? (surprise) mid-summer event? Etc.

I hope M4 arrives but not holding my breath. Maybe this will be 2 hours almost entirely about a "we think you'll love it" pencil? ;)

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Magik Eraser. I'm calling it. You will never erase again like you can erase now with this new eraser. It's magical!

jb310

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2017
an interactive erasing feature that seems to hint at a refreshed version of the Apple Pencil.
Will it be just a pencil, or a new AI-powered "magical" eraser just like Google's, well... Magic Eraser™ that they put in their phones? 🤔

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
Code in iOS 17.5 mentions an Apple Pencil with a "squeeze" gesture, so it is possible that the new model that's coming will have a hardware-based erase option enabled with a squeeze.
Erase will be very nice, but I feel like Wacom's skeumorphic flip the pen and use the eraser as you would with a real pencil remains more intuitive.

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
Erase will be very nice, but I feel like Wacom's skeumorphic flip the pen and use the eraser as you would with a real pencil remains more intuitive.
I find the current double tap to switch between draw and erase way better than flipping Wacom’s pen.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Love how fluidly it works on mobile. I’m not reading into that … I don’t see Apple Pencil coming to iPhone. Just appreciating the detail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.