Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Too bad a lot of the changes they want aren't anything truly beneficial to anyone. Some are downright inconvenient and intrusive. All it does is pad their egos and make them feel relevant because if they don't do ANYTHING, people are going to wonder why they're there. But yeah, they're on a roll alright. An out of control, power-hungry one. They're so focused on bringing everyone and everything under control that they're ignoring that they themselves are getting out of control. Cheer them on all you want, but at some point, those power hungry bureaucrats are going to do something even you don't like. It's inevitable. Power corrupts everyone. Even the politicians you idolize so much.
I would say it actually does.
With the regulation:
They have to provide enough information and parts that the industry is viable or as we like to call it Schematics or die.

They are really cracking down on the anti consumer activity we're parts are paired or calibrated and and the tools to re-pair or re calibrate said part is not available. They are forceing manufacturers to keep parts prices where they belong (that's right Apple and Samsung price gouging time is over) and it seems they are giving resources and promotioting third party repair services to these manufacturers as a way to fulfill their new obligations to provide repair with existing and new repair businesses who registered their capabilities with them.

Seems they are doing a lot right here they are providing support and resources to repair businesses, setting standards manufactures will have difficulty circumventing and even requiring manufacturers to ADVERTISE and disclose THE ACCURATE REPAIRABLITY of their products

ima5150546871677037123.jpeg

Last edited:

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Too bad a lot of the changes they want aren't anything truly beneficial to anyone. Some are downright inconvenient and intrusive. All it does is pad their egos and make them feel relevant because if they don't do ANYTHING, people are going to wonder why they're there. But yeah, they're on a roll alright. An out of control, power-hungry one. They're so focused on bringing everyone and everything under control that they're ignoring that they themselves are getting out of control. Cheer them on all you want, but at some point, those power hungry bureaucrats are going to do something even you don't like. It's inevitable. Power corrupts everyone. Even the politicians you idolize so much.
You seem to imply these “bureaucrats” can do anything they want and are therefore totally out of control. While it’s actually very hard to push EU legislation as each member state still has their independence and say in the matter. I would argue it’s one of the most balanced governments with plenty of checks and balances.

And so far they have brought peace, free travel and a unified market, a single currency, free roaming, … they’re working on better integration of healthcare, international railroads, en environment restoration and now this. No complaints here.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
So is the possibility to distribute digital goods or services on iOS services at rates lower than Apple's 30% commission:
Beneficial to businesses and consumers.
Is that resulting in lower prices for consumers? So far, the answer seems to be "no". So no, it's not benefitting consumers. Or small developers, for that matter. The ones raking in the big bucks seem to like it though.

But you are straying off the topic now by going over to the DMA (which is its own steaming pile of overreaching bs). So I'm not following you down that rabbit hole and derailing this thread any further. I'm leaving it at that.

Reactions: strongy

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Is that resulting in lower prices for consumers? So far, the answer seems to be "no"
From my experience with the Mac App Store vs. alternative stores, it does, yes.
So I'm not following you down that rabbit hole and derailing this thread any further. I'm leaving it at that.
Agree. No reason to derail this thread. So just to clarify:
a lot of the changes they want aren't anything truly beneficial to anyone. Some are downright inconvenient and intrusive.
What changes did you actually mean with that?

👉 Do you consider the rights to repair this thread is about "not beneficial to anyone" and "intrusive"?

Your recent up-/downvote activity on this thread clearly suggests that you're opposed to this legislation.
Yet on the other hand, you conceded that it is beneficial to consumers.

Or are you just opposing any EU legislation as a matter of habit or principle - while defending or applauding any anticompetitive or anti-consumer business practice (as long as it's Apple doing it)?

Last edited:

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
this will cost companies extra $$$ for each model they release.

and I'm sure companies will eat the costs and totally not charge more to customers for every new product they release.

why stop there? go for free 10 year warranty for all yeah!! make companies pay for everything! throw in free accidental damage coverage too!! let's gooooo

you just played yourselves. 👏
Precisely.

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
Too bad a lot of the changes they want aren't anything truly beneficial to anyone.
Maybe not beneficial for US based companies, but for the EU consumer, practically all the changes are very good. If I'd ever buy an Apple product, I won't care too much about Apple warranty, but for the legal 2-year guarantee and for an additional 3-year insurance from the seller's affiliated insurance company. Much safer (and cheaper) than Apple warranty, or Apple care.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
So, you actually believe forcing companies to fix stuff out of warranty, thus costing them MORE money, will make them charge LESS for products? 🤣
Fixing stuff out of warranty usually mean MOAR money for companies. Companies ain't nonprofit; charge for their work.

Dealerships make more money from out if warranty repairs than from new car sales.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Im waiting for the complains And threat about “device security and software security” For using “non-genuine” Apple capacitors and resistors.
:rolleyes:
This EU directive is clearer on various aspects of the repair and Apple will either cough up and raise the price substantially (as they likely do) or complain to EU in the next 10 years.
Apple will never ever hurt their profit margins in any market that’s certain.
They shouldn’t hurt their profit margins. They make products that generally last a lot longer and are supported long than competitors. They moved back to a 35% target margin almost 30 years ago. A move that saved the company. Almost every one of their computer competitors from that era is long gone.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Then I guess it’s not a problem for them? There’s nothing to repair right?

the argument was that Apple is cutting corners therefore the reliability went down. however, when you have less failure rates that are some of the best in the industry, that accusation doesn't hold up.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
They shouldn’t hurt their profit margins. They make products that generally last a lot longer and are supported long than competitors. They moved back to a 35% target margin almost 30 years ago. A move that saved the company. Almost every one of their computer competitors from that era is long gone.
A Company of the size of Apple must have been informed that with great power comes with great responsibility. Failing to be responsible will have consequences, including hurting their profit margin no matter how much they care about it. It’s just not the right thing to do and EU has sent this message loud and clear.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Ability to repair products out of warranty at a reasonable price is a good move. But at the same time wonder how many years manufacturers will be having spare parts.

Reactions: dominiongamma

stanislaus1

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
Its important to provide service and/or parts at reasonable rates.

My ipad 6 32gb went in boot loop

Apple gave me diagnose report - We tried updaing the ipad with a mac and were unsuccessful, we are going for device replacement out of warranty.

For this stupid diagnosing they charged me Rs.900
Device replacement cost for ipad 6 32gb Rs.26500.
The new ipad9 64gb from Amanzon cost Rs. 29000 (without using any card discount)

It doesn't anywhere resonable to get it repaird, even if they are ready to repair (in their terms - device remplacement)

Edit: Just to add to the above note. I really like ipads they are really awesome device and must have in everyhouse. But i have decided not buy ipad anymore just because it cannot be repaired and/or repair cost are absurd.
yeah, imagine buying a car, and replacing the windshield cost's half the price of the car. That's what apple has been doing for decades. they make billions with this scam.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
That seems to be a very defeatist attitude and one where we would never have decent products if we just threw our hands up everytime a company tried to rip us off.
again, if a company rips you off, don't buy their products. companies will see their sales decline and then realize they have to stop ripping customers off. it's very simple

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
again, if a company rips you off, don't buy their products. companies will see their sales decline and then realize they have to stop ripping customers off. it's very simple
It is much better to have consumer rights in the first place so if you are ripped off, you get your money back and have some legal cover. Then you can avoid that company in future whilst not being out of pocket. As I said, if Apple want to trade in the EU and the UK, they have to follow the same guidelines as every other company. Saying they should be allowed to rip you off so their sales can tank and they might learn a lesson is of no interest to individual consumers, they just want the best service at the end of the day.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
It is much better to have consumer rights in the first place so if you are ripped off,
not really. there's probably a frugal user base where products they buy are understandably unsupported but they get a great deal on the product and they're more than happy to be on their own to fix it. these consumer rights increase the product price tag for everyone and for all products whether people want it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.